Question about fansubs

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Christianotaku » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:45 am

75% of dvd players play vcds

And if you really know how to encode a vcd encoding should take less than 1 hour per episode especially with a p4 2.0 ghz with 526 mb of ram
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:08 am

the problem with encoding is that most .avi files use weird screwed up codecs and compression which causes horrible evil problems, and it generally takes 10-20 hours just to do a 25 min episode.

Well, christianotaku is partially correct. Aside from the obvious processors/RAM/OS debate, there are a few other reasons. I won't go into most of them. The reason most .avi files are 'screwed up' is because of a video compression codec (that's coder/decoder for the novice) that is sometimes used called divx. Remember AVI (audio-video-interleave) is just a generic file, you MUST use a codec to specify the compression and linking. (For that matter, so is ASF). This is why some avi files are huge, and some are not. The divx compression gives you mpeg-4 video and mpeg-3 audio. Not many older processors (video/audio/motherboard/) are capable of doing this decoding in hardware, and so must rely on software coding/decoding. As you can well imagine, this can get a little slow if you are going from mpeg-4 (Divx) to mpeg-2 (DVD/SVCD). That's why doing SVCDs from a DVD are SO much faster that a Divx file of the same length. You don't have to re-encode it.

Whew! That's a lot of techincal stuff. If you want more info, PM me. I won't turn this into a compression lecture.

Edit: BTW, Divx isn't the only compression scheme out there - it's just one of the more widely used.
Mithrandir

Postby HeavensTek » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:01 am

hmmm so far with my encoding experiments i've been using a mix of VirtualDub, TMPGEnc2, and Nero.......i know their are faster ways of doing it, but doing something like a straight avi force burn (through Nero) usually drops the quality a whole lot from my experience so far........i'm still trying to teach myself though so eventually i'm sure i'll figure out a better way to pull it.....

as far as VCD compadible DVD players.......i've had seriously bad luck in the past trying to find a good one. wasn't up until recently that i bought a cheap 70$ Akai that i finally got one to work for me.

lecture away bro....hehe.....the more i learn about compression/encoding the less headaches i seem to have. :grin:
HeavensTek

Postby Christianotaku » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:17 pm

I know what mpeg-4 is and basically if you want a lecture here it is!

Divx is a cracked codec based on the mpeg-4 that microsoft used in there old .asf`s. that only apllies to divx 3 of course

divx 4 and 5 are still technically mpeg-4 but are not complient with the old or new mpeg 4 standards that apple and microsft controlled respectabbly.

and Xvid is what most fansubbers are using now is the continuation of Mayo`s open divx project which was shut down but some developers decided to continue working on it.

Now in any case DIVX is not at all mpeg-4 standard it is compressed mpeg-4 which is very different from apples mpeg-4 commercial only codecs which only proffesional people use.

and for you part on divx-mpeg divx is very easily converted up to even 8 x faster as long as you know how to do it
thats the way i see it

Christianotaku

Postby HeavensTek » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:46 am

what software/hardware would you recomend that could speed up the process? i hate wasting my time with TMPGEnc2 all the time. (of course part of that is because i put the settings on highest quality possible and i have to resize sometimes so the subs don't clip)
HeavensTek

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:32 am

you should try to use cce encoder which costs around 400 bucks but gives 2 times the speed of tmpegenc. you need to have a cpu well above 1 ghz and over 256 mb of ram more ram the faster
thats the way i see it

Christianotaku

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:45 am

Divx is a cracked codec based on the mpeg-4 that microsoft used in there old .asf`s. that only apllies to divx 3 of course

If my mememory serves me correctly, M$ liscensed the Divx codec for use in streaming video (Divx's primary use). Someone cracked the coding stream (most likely a leak, but I can't remember if it was proved) and released the code as Divx;) (Divx wink).

divx 4 and 5 are still technically mpeg-4 but are not complient with the old or new mpeg 4 standards that apple and microsft controlled respectabbly.

Well, the actual mpeg standard is controlled by the moving picture expert's group. Rumor has it that they took apple's QT source pretty much as-is and released it. Then when QT extended it (and M$ of course extended their own version of it, which of course didn't work with any other code) the whole ball of wax sort of drifed away from the main scene.
Mithrandir

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:48 am

oldphilosopher wrote: Rumor has it that they took apple's QT source pretty much as-is and released it. Then when QT extended it (and M$ of course extended their own version of it, which of course didn't work with any other code) the whole ball of wax sort of drifed away from the main scene.

That's what one of my co-workers was explaining to me the other day.

M$ ... that's great!
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:07 am

Well, the actual mpeg standard is controlled by the moving picture expert's group

Not exactly the old Mpeg-1 and Mpeg-2 are controleled by MPEG-company. But remember divx 3 is a cracked codec! its illegal to even use !!!

So mpeg-company does not control the standard

And the truth is there are so many different types of mpeg-4 claiming codecs out there there really isnt one standard

divx xvid divx;) 3ivx vobors quicktime .mp4 and i lot more that i cant name
thats the way i see it

Christianotaku

Postby HeavensTek » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:08 pm

hmm so thats why i keep having issues. I hate trying to dig up new codecs all the time too.....

ah well.....can't look a gift horse in the mouth i suppose.

thanks for all the info guys... :grin:
HeavensTek

List All The Fansubs You Have!!

Postby Kenchii » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:09 am

I downloaded.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1-23

Gad Guard - 1-3

Astro Boy 1-2

SC-RY-ED - 1-3

Hunter X Hunter - 1-3

Trigun 1-10

FLCL - 1-6

One Piece - 1-2

Naruto - 1

Urda - 1-3

Shaman King - 1-3

Dragonball Z - 1

Yu Yu Hakusho - 1

The rest I bought. :hits_self
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby HeavensTek » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:29 pm

ok another quick question......

how come everytime i try to convert an Xvid into a Divx......the stupid stream encodes and plays back upside down? i remember Winamp used to do that with some compression types.....

how do i fix that so i don't have to stand on my head or turn my monitor upside down? :shady:
HeavensTek

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews