What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby skreyola » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Shirobako ep. 23 - Wow! Wow, wow, wow! That was awesome! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well worth the wait to see Shizuka get her first role. I knew they would call her as soon as they said they needed a little sister for the ADR. I laughed through most of this episode and whooped a few times, too. It was especially great to see someone SPOILER: Highlight text to read: tell editor-san what we've been wishing for him to hear all season: that it was NOT a funny story that he was being so unhelpful. Loved the end-credit drawing, too. Will it be a happy ending? I'm happy already. :)
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:09 am

The Rose of Versailles, episode 25.
mysngoeshere56

Postby GeneD » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Sailor Moon R ep 43 [END] - Not much to say here. Don’t know if I want to watch the next season. On the one hand, the 2-eps-a-week works relatively well and if I don’t watch it now, I’m not sure I’ll go back to it. On the other hand, I found it harder and harder to keep up towards the end of R, in a “I don’t feel like watching Sailor Moon right now” kind of way. I’m also still watching Crystal, so yeah.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso ep 22 [END] - SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Right until the end I wasn’t sure if they were going to kill off Kaori. The letter she wrote Kousei seems sweet at first but I’m kinda disappointed with the reveal that she liked him from the start but didn’t have the courage to own up to it. Most likely their relationship would have been very different and maybe Kousei wouldn’t have grown so much, but idk, to me it conflicts with Kaori’s does-whatever-she-wants personality that she couldn’t just go up to him. I also think it was unfair towards Watari (AND Kousei) even though he’s a known playboy. I agree with what others have said about the disappearance of the underwater piano, I mean, they did do that episode where he lets go of his mom, but it would have been nice to see it at least mentioned once afterwards. Overall I liked the series but probably a lot more than I would have if it wasn’t so well animated. I thought most of the characters besides Kousei were one dimensional and the story is trope-y as anything, if rather well executed.

Akatsuki no Yona ep 24 [END] - I really enjoyed this and am totally gonna keep reading the manga, really hope for a second season too though, since it kinda ended right in the middle of things. I never got around to saying it but man, I was ON BOARD with that old pirate captain lady, if you’ll pardon the pun. She was really great and SPOILER: Highlight text to read: she didn’t die like I thought she might. Seriously, this was a good show, watch it. The biggest criticism I can give is that the second OP made my ears bleed, but that’s pretty much it.

Free! Eternal Summer Special - Oh my gosh this was absolutely priceless. Must, absolutely must watch if you like Free. The Iwatobi boys visit the Samezuka cultural festival... hilarity ensues. The animation is up to Kyoani standards and it’s just a fantastic, quintessential Free! episode. I also found the music really great, I’m not sure if they were existing tracks from the series since I found them more noticeable and "scene-enhancing" here.

Haikyuu!! Jump Festa Special - 250th anime according to MAL! XD Almost exactly 2 months short of a year since the 200th. XD It was great to see more of the Nekoma team, although I’m not the biggest Lev fan. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Them teaming up to rescue the cat was cute. The Karasuno “cameo” was super fun. Dramatic falling PSP POP is dramatic. (The animation is the same as for their last match with Seijou.) Asahi’s voice sounded weird to me, like a different seiyuu trying to match what he sounds like, but apparently it’s the same person so idk.

Also watched the Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun specials, which is basically one episode cut into 6 parts. Poor Waka.

Also also, started watching Parasyte -the maxim-, I don't know if it's just me but the pacing seems a bit faster than the manga, not that that's necessarily bad, I just don't remember the thing with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: his mom happening so soon.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Sheenar » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:01 pm

Just finished Sword Art Online --was a fun series. I just really wish my friend who recommended it to me had given me a heads up on some of the content towards the end. It was upsetting.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Mullet Death » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Just marathoned all of "Kids On the Slope" in one sitting. Wow. I'm not the kind of guy who can write the kind of words to do this anime justice. That was anime perfection. I laughed. I cried. I appreciated the 100% respectful representation of my faith. I should stop before I ruin it by hyping it.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Kraavdran » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:51 am

Aldnoah Zero (season 2), World Trigger, Log Horizon (season 2), and Yona of the Dawn (technically, just finished), Fate/Stay Unlimited Bladeworks (TV series). I'm also about to check out "Sunday without God."
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum et pereat mundus"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kraavdran
Kraavdran

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:04 pm

geee, I wonder how many months since I've posted here...nope not gonna look, just gonna ramble:

Four episodes into Pandora Hearts - (It's Cece's fault) More comments later, I'm just getting out of the introductory arc.

Akatsuki no Yona continues to be a delightfully nice show.

Been re-watching Kill la Kill now that's AS/Toonami is running it.

Through Toonami I've also been watching Inuyasha: The final act, DBZ Kai, Naruto, and One Piece. Good shows all.

Watched Gurren Lagann on Toonami. Good show. Well animated. The latter half gets rather crazy, the ending even more so. I feel like you could watch the first half by itself and have a pretty good tightly written show, though you would lose out on the crazily awesome stuff later on you would get a pretty solid show with a clearer ending.

Watched Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise.
Decent plot, beautiful animation. The music's a bit odd but I think that's an 80's thing.
I'd probably give it a recommendation if not for that one scene..... yeah....
Also it has Nixie tubes, not important or anything, I just like Nixie tubes.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:25 pm

The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya movie (sub):

This was amazing. From its beautiful pencil-and-watercolor look, to its emotion, to its depth-- it was simply a work of art. (Also: That SPOILER: Highlight text to read: breakdown during the name-day celebration... incredible.) The only thing that might be a content issue for some is the nursing scene(s), but the nudity doesn't last very long, and is obviously justified. Overall, this was just beautiful.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:49 am

Finished Princess Jellyfish - I really enjoyed it; it was allot of fun. A shame there are only eleven episodes, though. I feel like with such a interesting cast of characters, there could've been at least twenty-four episodes.

Favorite Character(s): Tsukimi Kurashita

Art/Visuals: 7.5/10
Story: 8.5/10
Characters: 9/10
Enjoyment: 9/10
Overall: 8.5/10

I also finished up Aquarion Evol - I liked it, but it was a really bizarre show. The characters were very likeable and made it fun, but the story was a just a little too weird for me at certain points. I'm not really into reincarnation and what not. Also, the ending SPOILER: Highlight text to read: was too brief. I would have liked to see how Mix changed back into a girl, or whether Zessica and Kagura ended up together (kinda was getting the feeling that they might). Despite its flaws, I really enjoyed it, though.

Favorite Character(s): Zessica Wong, Andy W. Hall, Amata Sora, Jin Muso

Art/Visuals: 9.5/10 - I absolutely love the artwork in this show. About the only thing I didn't like about it visually were the CGI mechs.
Story: 6.5/10
Characters: 9/10
Enjoyment: 8.5/10
Overall: 8/10

Other than those, I've watched up to episode 3 of Trinity Blood - Pretty cool so far.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby GeneD » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:55 pm

My soul is is need of a Tsuritama re-watch. This is the fourth time (at least) that I'm re-watching it.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby WorldsTraveler » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:40 pm

Rewatching Tsuritama too. Totally worth it. I love how I catch things I missed before.
WorldsTraveler

Postby Cat96 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:48 pm

Yona of the Dawn episode 24 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Okay, when I heard that the yellow dragon was going to join the group fairly quickly, I didn't think it would be THAT quick! Watch Zeno have a tragic backstory. It seems all cheerful characters do. Also glad that Yona finally asked about the sword thing. I'm slightly surprised that Jae-ha knows how to use a sword. I would think that Hak or Shin-ah (though he may not be a good teacher) would be the ones to train her. Hopefully there will be a season 2 so we can see Yona learn to use a sword and therefore become even more epic than she already is. From what I gather from the episode, it looks like now the group will go around the kingdom, getting rid of corruption. It would be interesting to see, since Swo-won is doing the same thing (though likely a little less violent). The anticipation for a future season will kill me.

Again, I want more seasons. Funi can have my money once they release these 24 episodes in a box set, which likely won't be for a few years.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby LastLfan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:15 pm

Just finished log horizon season 2 and man this needs a third season, this show is consistently good even at its dull points and gets much credit in my eyes for never getting too fan service-y. Even the bath scene was extremely tame. The show definitely has some strong female characters who really got to shine this season, and some smaller characters like Isaac and demikas got their time in the sun as well. All in all log horizon is still my favorite anime
LastLfan

Postby skreyola » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:26 pm

Akatsuki no Yona ep. 24 (final) - Unless there is a second season, that ending was horribly unsatisfying. I would watch more of this.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Kraavdran » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:06 am

skreyola wrote:Akatsuki no Yona ep. 24 (final) - Unless there is a second season, that ending was horribly unsatisfying. I would watch more of this.

Agreed. I was wondering if they were going to finish it up with another season or maybe a movie. Great show, but it definitely needs closure.
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum et pereat mundus"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kraavdran
Kraavdran

Postby skreyola » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:51 pm

Shirobako ep. 24 [END] - Nothing terribly earth-shattering in this episode. Not much tension. But there were some great moments, and it served as a nice, calm, occasionally funny denoument to a wonderful show. 10/10. A masterwork, and a beautiful love letter to everyone in the industry.
So, I have a question. I got the reference behind SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Two Piece, but to what does the ...Depopulation Girl title refer?
Someone should make a wiki page of the references this show made. I know it would be a huge undertaking (someone said virtually every proper noun in the show was a shout out), but it would still be awesome to see. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby skreyola » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:44 pm

I fionally get to start something new, and the first episode brings me close to tears.
Plastic Memories ep. 1 - A bit more humor than I was expecting (or hoping for), but the core issues seem to be getting serious treatment, so I'll hang in there. I've seen some gripes about the central conceit, but I don't recall that as having been a problem for Blade Runner, and I can see it as having a technical limitations origin, even if others can't, even if the origin of the time limit is not explained, so that's no problem for me. When SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Isla/Aila jumped from the balcony, I thought, "It looked like her foot slipped to much to make that jump," and then I was rewarded with an epic fail, so that was cool attention to detail. Not too much fanservice, thankfully. If the humor doesn't get any more intense, this probably will be the gem of the season.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:56 pm

The Rose of Versailles, episode 34.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Thunderscream872 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Episode 10 of Trinity Blood - Enjoyable enough...

Episode 1 of Samurai Champloo - Awesome first episode! It really set the bar high for the rest of the show.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:32 am

Since I finished The Rose of Versailles, I'm currently on ep. 9 of Gurren Lagann... still not a favorite so far, but I haven't given up yet. We'll see where future episodes take it.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Why did Kamina have to die? T_T
mysngoeshere56

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Been watching Shirobako and I have nothing but good things to say about it. A jewel of an anime I'd be glad to get the BD for. (Though to be fair, as a collector, there are many maaaany anime I want on BD.) On Episode 11 so far.

Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Been watching Shirobako and I have nothing but good things to say about it. A jewel of an anime I'd be glad to get the BD for. (Though to be fair, as a collector, there are many maaaany anime I want on BD.) On Episode 11 so far.

IKR! I love that show. I want to watch it again.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Cat96 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm on Maid-sama episode 20. I had another one of those, "Oh, I heard of this show! I'm bored so why not watch this?" moments even though I have plenty of other shows on my watch list.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Usui is a little on the creepy side, but I can actually see him and Misaki making a decent couple (unlike Mei and Yamako in "Say, I love you", which may not be a fair comparison). These two are so funny. My biggest complaint is that Usui seems to have the best timing , it's kinda creepy (and all those injuries looked like they hurt). I hope I can see Misaki help Usui more before the series ends. She's a pretty fun character to watch. I also find those five brothers(?) who are Misaki's fanboys to be hilarious and fun to watch (I really wanted to see how they'd react to Misaki being a maid). I also enjoy the idiot trio. I never thought they would be this entertaining when they were first introduced.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Mouse2010 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:15 am

Currently watching Ano Hana. Just finished episode 7.

I've been meaning to watch this series for years. I've heard such good things about it, but somewhere never got around to watching it. I'm not disappointed by it at all. The characters are interesting, complicated, and (mostly) likeable. It's clear that they've really suffered from the central tragedy, in different ways. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Mouse2010

Postby GeneD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Sailor Moon Crystal ep 20: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I miss Rei and the other 2 kidnapped guardians.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders s2 ep 15: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: HOORAY KAKYOIN IS BACK! Plus some cool shades, I approve.

Assassination Classroom ep 12: Karma is the actual best. His face when SPOILER: Highlight text to read: they were standing too close to the batter. I don't like the new OP, shame on them for excessive reuse of visuals.

I have 2 Crunchyroll guest passes that're gonna expire soon-ish. Please let me know if anyone wants one, here or send me a PM.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby ForeverInspired » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:26 pm

^I'll take a pass! It would be nice to not be a week behind in comments for a bit.

I LOVE Fate/Stay Night so far.

Also, SNAFU has come back and come back strong! I appreciate the show's cynicism too much. :)
ForeverInspired

Postby Mullet Death » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:54 pm

Gonna regret it later, but I bingewatched the rest of Shirobako. Soooooo goooood

Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:46 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Gonna regret it later, but I bingewatched the rest of Shirobako. Soooooo goooood

It was worth it, though, wasn't it?

The only bad thing about that is that it's over. I wish they'd do more of that show.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:25 am

skreyola wrote:
Mullet Death wrote:Gonna regret it later, but I bingewatched the rest of Shirobako. Soooooo goooood

The only bad thing about that is that it's over. I wish they'd do more of that show.

I don't suppose you have any recommendations based on that show, do you?

Unrelated: New Gintama episodes. And immediately it was like they were trying to get canceled again. I've missed you, Shinpachi.

Mullet Death

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:54 am

Mullet Death wrote:
skreyola wrote:

I don't suppose you have any recommendations based on that show, do you?

Bakuman and Nozaki are good shows related to manga.
ForeverInspired

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews