Big O?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Big O?

Postby MillyFan » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:02 am

This anime's on CN at 12:00 AM my time.

LOL, from the title at first, I thought it was ecchiness, but I looked up reviews online and saw the title wasn't ecchi or implication of it (at least as far as what I read it wasn't ecchi), and finally decided to watch it for the first time.

Anyway, I think it's pretty good anime so far. I mean, the stylistic sense is right on, the music is good (though not the best), and the plot theme is rather innovative (a city that suffers from collective amnesia from *something* that happened 40 years before the time the series is set in) and this looks like one I want to watch.

One thing that does kind of give me pause about it is that in the opening song/mech password "Cast in the name of (insert word for "Deity",) ye not guilty" business. It doesn't bother me that much per se, as I consider the source (the writers being non-Christians and obviously ignorant of Biblical theology and commands) but I have a feeling that others wouldn't see it that way.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby sskg0tt0 » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:05 am

i realy liked big 0.the animation,the strange retro yet futuristc world they set up.i didnt mind the "cast in the name of god" thing,and dont remeber there bieng too much bad about the show as a whole.
it skirts around some "god punished the wicked" stuff but its more metophor than than GOD, if you know what i mean.
it originaly ended ,unfinished at ep 13,but cartoon network paid to have the reamining 13 eps made.they are airing the first 13 right now,and will be airing the new 13 soon.
rumor has it they have an option for another 26,but i dont know if thats true or not
sskg0tt0

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:58 am

Hmm. I didn't even think about the 'In the image of God' being potentailly offensive. I can see now how someone MIGHT be offended by it, but I don't see it happening. This was a pretty good anime, I guess. It just seemed way to much like "Batman the Animated Series" to me. If I had to guess, I'd say they started with black background the same way that BTAS did when they wanted a dark Gothahm.

Anyway, my $0.02.
Mithrandir

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:37 am

I liked this series fairly well. I didn't like the style at first, but then it grew on me. I'd have to say that the last episode was my favorite. And just a quick comment - while the series struck me as pretty clean (I've only seen the CN version, so someone correct me on this if I'm way off), I picked up a Big O manga and opened it to see a lady wearing the stunning outfit of - a smile. I was surprised to say the least.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:40 am

Gypsy wrote:while the series struck me as pretty clean (I've only seen the CN version, so someone correct me on this if I'm way off).

I borrowed the DVDs from a friend and I don't recall any nudity. I can't for the life of me imagine where nudity would even fit the series. Odd.
Mithrandir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:17 pm

I heard of Big O when it was on Toonami way back...but I never got to watch it. Maybe I'll watch it this time.

I saw the (or perhaps -one- of the) manga in the comic store the other day...nudity?? Cripes. The art style was so cutesy-retro-ish that imagining nudity drawn in it makes my head want to explode...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:39 pm

Yeah, it really was the last thing I expected inside the Big O manga.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby MillyFan » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:02 am

Gypsy wrote:Yeah, it really was the last thing I excepted inside the Big O manga.

Nevertheless, I think the Big 0 anime series is good so far (although tonight's episode, "Electric City" had a little clothes-on fanservice, i.e. the outfit for the woman who hired Roger to negotiate the power company matter was rather tight in a few scenes, but that doesn't really bother me since I'm a girl LOL).

I once read something somewhere that I really believe is one of the more correct statements I've ever heard-don't judge a manga by its anime and don't judge an anime by its manga. Some mangas are completely different from the anime series that come from them. (i.e. I've heard the Trigun manga isn't anywhere like the anime because it's more focused on Knives, Legato, and the Gung Ho Guns than the anime was.)

MillyFan

Postby blue elf » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:12 am

Ah, I remember that series. I saw it a looong time ago, when CN had it on their Toonami block. I liked it though. I thought the android girl-Sally?
was cool, but the animation syle did sorta remind me of the old batman cartoon. I've never read any of the manga though.
-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby madphilb » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:36 pm

As I recall, they plugged it as being part Batman, part Bond, and part "City Smashing Robots" :D

Can't help but love that, eh?

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:42 pm

That about sums it up, I guess. ;)
Mithrandir

Postby MillyFan » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:21 pm

[quote="oldphilosopher"]That about sums it up, I guess. ]

LOL, hey, does anyone know where I would find series screenshots/pics/avatars? There's a character I'd like to add to my website. . .

MillyFan

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews