Dual language dvds

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Dual language dvds

Postby blue elf » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:14 am

I know that most American anime dvds, except for stuff like Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh, have both a Japanese and English audio track and I was just wondering how you all watched em. Do you only watch one language or do you watch it in both?
I sometimes like to watch both languages just to see which I think sounds better and what the differences in the dialogue are.
-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby express » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:43 am

If the series is released with both English and Japanese audio tracks, my brother and I would usually watch the series in English first. Then I, by myself, would watch it in Japanese all the way through; my brother doesn't like reading subtitles much. I actually want to learn Japanese, and I'm using anime, the internet, and a CD-Rom program to do a self study. I don't have money for a class.

The only series I haven't seen in English with my brother is GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka). I think the English dub is really bad for that one. I mean using Spike's calm, smooth sounding voice (Cowboy Bebop) for the main character (Onizuka, Eikichi) just doesn't work. I doubt anyone here has seen GTO. If so, just ignore this paragraph.:sweat:

P.S.

Just as advice, if there is a domestic release for an anime, and you want to choose between a big bundle import and a single DVD domestic release, choose the domestic. From experience and also being a non-Japanese speaking person, I can say that most imports are pirated in China and have the worst subtitling ever (getting the Inuyasha series and Perfect Ghibli Box as imports is proof of that). It depends, however, on who releases the series. Although, if you can read Chinese, that's awesome because the imports have really good Chinese subtitles (according to a friend of mine) that are actually on time and not late!!!
express

Postby sskg0tt0 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:04 am

i got the compleat big-0 set....bad bad idea
was a hong kong import,and the worst subbing job ive seen.
they even mis subbed the english names of the chericters!
if you buy at places like "discountanimedvd" be very caefull and check to see who it was released by.if you dont know the company or it doesnt say,avoiding it is a safe bet.
guess i should have known i couldnt get all 13 eps for 15 bucks :red:
sskg0tt0

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:37 am

I only ever watch the subtitled version. I don't like most of the voice actors, and the translation on the subs is almost always better.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews