Outlaw Star

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Outlaw Star

Postby Stephen » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:35 am

Hey...I just started watching the toonami version of this on tape....anyone seen the full unedited verson? And would like to toss out there own personal review? I would be much abliged. I am thinking about buying the box set on DVD but was curious how much nudity, violence....etc etc. Thanks.
Stephen

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:51 am

The original has nudity, and many, many sick jokes. It would go on my "I have better things to watch ... like a wall." list. I don't know about the violence content.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Technomancer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:54 am

Been a couple of years since I've see it, and I haven't seen the whole thing but here goes...

There are some gay jokes. One of the supporting characters (the arms dealer guy) is gay and attracted to the main character (who is repulsed by the idea). Nothing new really, since the same plot device seems to keep cropping up in other anime...

There is some nudity. The ship's pilot/navigator/or whatever has to operate the ship in a tube of water, and apparently needs to do it starkers. No reason for this other than pathetic fan-servicing really.

As far as violence goes, it didn't seem to be especially gory. It's got gangs of space pirates, a professional assasin, and the series hero is after revenge for his father's murder, but there are no fountains of blood or anything.

Anyways, what I saw of the series wasn't terrible as far as entertainment value goes (although I think what I saw goes only up to the first four tapes), although its not something I'd go out of my way to find. Even discounting the naughty stuff, it's not terribly original.

PS. Is it just me, or does the opening song sound like a Japanese version of Monster Magnet?
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Stephen » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:07 am

I've been digging around online...and it seems there is more "stuff" in the unedited version then I thought....anyone know where I can buy a Toonami version of it?
Stephen

i have

Postby valdrianth » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:35 am

i have all of Outlaw Star in subtitles. I personally though it was an awesome series. Simular to Cowboy Bebop. It does have some gay jokes in it, but I've learned to ignore it because of the wanderful plot to it. I haven't watched it in a while though...
Moo!
God Invented Safe Sex, he called it marriage!
valdrianth

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews