Alien Nine

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Alien Nine

Postby Gypsy » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:58 pm

This isn't an official review, but I meant to do this weeks ago, so I'll just post it here.

Alien Nine, despite how it looks, is not really a kiddie anime. It's actually one of the most disturbing anime I've seen.

Quick rundown: it's about three sixth graders who have to protect their school from aliens. They wear symbiot aliens on their heads (they look like bike helmets with eyes and wings) and they skate around on rollerblades while catching the aliens with nets and stun guns.

It started out pretty cute. Even the story idea was strong and original. But this anime is full of violence, gore, and disturbing (not to mention incredibly annoying) introspective angles that make absolutely no sense. And the main character is sobbing for 98% of the anime. And not only is the ending horrible, shocking cliffhanger - it makes no sense. The entire anime makes no sense. I think the manga presents the story a little better - but I checked it out, and it's still just as dark and violent. It looks a little funny to see what looks like an adorable manga to have a .. I think it was 15+ rating on it. But it needs that rating. *shudders*

I've been an anime fan for a while, my range going from Snow Fairy Sugar to Akira ... but after watching this, I couldn't bring myself to watch anime for another couple days. I'll write up an official review soon, but this was just a heads up.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Spiritsword » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:33 am

Wow! I have read the first volume of the manga (only the first volume, mind you), and I really liked it. Yes, it definitely had a darker side, but I felt like the story was developing (as you mentioned, Gypsy, at least regarding the manga), I loved the cuteness of the characters, and I really didn't mind the "darker" aspects of it to the degree that the first volume of the manga presented them. So does it get a lot worse? I was actually planning on buying the manga but just renting the anime. Would you recommend this? (Remember, I almost never get disturbed by anything I see in anime.) But I don't like pointless endings. I'll look forward to your more in-depth review.

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:48 am

Okay, thanks for the heads up.

I thought I saw this manga at the store the other day, didn't bother picking it up because it didn't look any good. Some gore won't bother me, but when it's a pointless anime, I just have to draw the line.

I will decide not to pick up this manga, nor the anime, thank you so very much!
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Nia-chan » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:46 am

My dad was thinking of getting it, but I fortuneately(?) talked him out of it. I thought it looked bad before, but I guess this confirms it.
Nia-chan

Postby shooraijin » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:47 am

Ooof. That's a shame -- it really did sound promising. Thanks for braving it for us. :(
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Benu » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:57 pm

Yea even non-christian anime reviews I've read about it have said it's pointless and disturbing and that the manga was better then the anime. But I think I will pass this one up. It really didn't sound all that great to me either.
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Postby Spiritsword » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:03 pm

Well, I am planning on sticking with the manga unless it gets really pointless. I'll let you all know what I think of the manga version after I finish. As I stated before, the first volume of the manga was good, very promising.
Spiritsword

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews