anime dvds

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

anime dvds

Postby Mr. Rogers » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:36 pm

i was lookin on ebay for anime, and i noticed that some people were selling the whole series of an anime for like $30, and come with like 3 or 4 discs, and then some other people are charging that much for each dvd of the series. is there a difference between them?
Mr. Rogers

Postby Gremio » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:32 pm

Hi, im sure a moderator should move this to anime discussion...

Anyway the reason for the difference in price is that the people selling these full series at $30-40 are selling pirated ones. Its fairly easy to tell becuase they are more often than not *Region Free* basically without any regional coding :shake:
Anyway if you want to buy them id recommend you not buy ones that are Japaneese with english subs. They are usually fan subbed and utter gibberish at times. You can of cource find English dubbed ones which there really isnt a problem except it wont play in color on a ps2/xbox.

Its up to you whether you want to buy them, its cheap anime, but I prefer to spend that little bit extra for the genuine

Gremio

Location: The school of making funny locations for my forum profile

Postby Mr. Rogers » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:49 am

i see now. i guess that explains why the other person who was selling them never emailed me back when i asked what the difference between those and the more expensive ones were. :) i'll just save a little extra and buy the real thing.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Straylight » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:07 am

First of all, you shouldn't really pay for fansubs, chances are if you're paying for one, it's a pirate anyway. The Chinese subtitles will be great, but the English ones will be in 'chinglish'. Eg. I have a HK fansub of FF:U and they somehow managed to spell "Cid" as "Xido"... makes me wonder whether they were using the AltaVista babel fish :D Some HK English subs are okay though, it really depends who made it.

If you are dying to get hold of unlicensed stuff that's exclusive to Japan, it's best to try the various IRC channels that trade subs. The translations are usually of far superior quality because they are made by people who actually speak English. Their illegality is questionable too, because of the fact that they are unlicensed and free. You will need a fast connection though.

Most of the IRC stuff I've seen has messages on the interlude screens saying stuff like "If you paid for this, some nerd cheated you! Go and get your money back!" etc.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews