Is Kenshin a Kirishitan?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Is Kenshin a Kirishitan?

Postby CobaltAngel » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:39 pm

I've never seen the show, but from what I've heard he sure sounds like one. -^_^- From what I've READ about them, Kirishitans would not kill themselves or others and were banned from japan by the shogun...
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby CobaltAngel » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:49 pm

I mean... like, do you THINK he is? I don't know much about him, so I can't give must evidence...
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Technomancer » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:54 pm

From what I've seen of the series I don't think so, or at least there has never been any indication of this.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Justin » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:34 am

No kenshin is not a christian but he does act like one sometimes!
Justin

Postby Shinja » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:34 pm

well he could be Kirishitan it never really says what he believes. but if im not misstaken the Kirishitans were the first christians in japan, they recieved the story of jesus strictly by word of mouth so they didnt have a bible to go by, later when the jusuits came they accepted the bible and became the frist "Christians" in japan. by the time RK takes place though Christians would have just been comeing out of heavy persicutions that came with the edo period, and being a christian during this time would still be an underground thing cause it wasnt leagleized untill after ww2. and the Kirishitans would not have existed, because they would had become christians by then.

confusing?.. well shinja did write it :lol:
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Zal-Utaon III » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:40 pm

WOW :eyebrow:
"Gha Bah Glab.. Bah Bah ha.. The Foolish Samurai" -Aku
Zal-Utaon III

Postby SangoKilala » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:25 pm

hmm...I don't fully agree with the concept of Kenshin being a kirishitan...I mean, he was too confused at the start and should know the difference between self defense and killing...but I guess his intentions were good...
SangoKilala

Postby Gypsy » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:22 am

Good points, Shinja. I'm also pretty sure that the Kirishitans were more "salvation by works" motivated. (Someone please call that if I'm mistaken.) From what little I've seen of the series, Kenshin was doing good deeds to redeem himself of his horrible past, not necessarily to gain salvation. Again, I'm not 100% sure of what I'm talking about either ...
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby express » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:33 am

I think your right, Gypsy. At least, that's what I've seen so far, as well. And thanks for the info on Kirishitans, Shinjia.
express

Postby Shinja » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:48 am

kenshin is avery interesting character, hes on one hand one of the most deadly fighters imaginable, and on the other he is a kind goofball who doesnt want to see anyone hurt. i dont think he does good for his own salvation. he knows he cant change his past and therefore lives on to use his ability to help rather than hurt those around him. i think his knowlage that he has done terible things keeps him pushing others away from him, so they wont get hurt by just knowing him. so if nothing else he does good deeds not to help himself (who hes already givin up hope on) but rather he does good deeds so that others might have the life he desired, one with freedom and no fighting. but in the end he recieves the thing he thought he couldnt achieve, friends that love him for who he is and not what he has done in the past.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews