Lupin III anime - where can I get it?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Lupin III anime - where can I get it?

Postby Seraph » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:09 pm

Okay, ever since Cartoon Network started showing episodes of Lupin III this summer I've been totally hooked, but the problem is that they show only a limited number of episodes (I understand Lupin has many, many episodes), and that they took it often recently in favor of other animes (their schedule rotates pretty frequently). I was wondering...

1: Where can I find the other episodes?

2: Are the other episodes as good as the Cartoon Network ones, or are they more raunchy - I could see a show like Lupin III getting to be pretty bad, but the episodes I've seen have been mostly clean, except for the occasional pass made at/by Fujiko.

Any advice?
Jesus Christ, light of the world burning bright
Within our hearts, forever.
Freedom means love without condition;
without a beginning or an end.
Here's my heart - may it be forever yours.
Only you can make every new day seem so new...
Seraph

Postby BrianC » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:12 pm

Seraph wrote:Okay, ever since Cartoon Network started showing episodes of Lupin III this summer I've been totally hooked, but the problem is that they show only a limited number of episodes (I understand Lupin has many, many episodes), and that they took it often recently in favor of other animes (their schedule rotates pretty frequently). I was wondering...

1: Where can I find the other episodes?

As far as I know, all of the episodes Shin Lupin III TV (original Japanese name of the US Lupin III TV series) currently on DVD have been shown on CN. However, the subtitles do have some major differences from the dub since the dub has been "updated".

2: Are the other episodes as good as the Cartoon Network ones, or are they more raunchy - I could see a show like Lupin III getting to be pretty bad, but the episodes I've seen have been mostly clean, except for the occasional pass made at/by Fujiko.

The dubbed is pretty much the same as the CN version except for some scenes like the Fujiko bath scene in the first episode. It's very brief and shown from the back, but definatly not something I missed in the CN version. However, the subbed version, while having the cut video scenes not in the CN version, is much cleaner dailog wise than the CN and dubbed DVD versions. Note, I have only seen the first six episodes unedited. I don't know about the episodes after the CN ones, but I want to see two of the later ones becuase they were written by Hayao Miyazaki.

Any advice?
Definatly get the Castle of Cagliostro DVD if you are a fan of both Lupin and Miyazaki films. It's a great Lupin III film. However, it's very different from the TV series in tone. It's very clean, but I highly recommend watching in subtitles becuase a gratitous amount of cursing has been added to the dub.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews