Now and Then, Here and There

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Now and Then, Here and There

Postby Razgriz » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:55 pm

Anyone seen this awesome flick? It's very disheartening and depressing, but it has a great theme on hope. If you have seen it, what do you like or not like about it?
Razgriz

Postby Technomancer » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:08 pm

I don't think there's anything that I don't like about this series, it's simply awesome. There's great charcter development, and nothing is glossed over. The charcter's choices in the movie are not based on simplistic (or preachy) moralizations, but are shown to be arrived at after real personal struggle. Also, despite the brutal violence that occurs in this show, there is no attempt to water it down or to forget its awful consequences. In short, this absolutely one of the best anime I've seen.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Psycho Ann » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:08 pm

Also simply one of the best anime I ever seen. And it holds first place in my "best seiyuu voice acting" anime list. I really can't find any fault at all--and that's saying something.

Gah... makes me wanna go watch it again... (love the ending song too)
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Retten » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:11 pm

Its a really great anime from what i have seen :thumb: i still need to watch volume 2 and 3 :forehead:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Razgriz » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:42 pm

The most powerful scene has to be....(if you haven't finished the series don't look)

[Spoiler=Spoilers]Where Sara tries to kill her child by smashing the rock repeatedly against her stomach and Shu blocked it the whole time with his hand, powerful stuff.[/Spoiler]
Razgriz

Postby Mimichan » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:51 pm

Okay..now I definitely want to see this. I'd heard it had some "disturbing" themes..but no one here is giving it a redflag or anything, so I suppose it's alright. As soon as I have some money,that is...

"Why do people not notice until they lose it?
What it is that's truly important...
Although I can't afford to forgive even myself,
Because you were there,
I was able to be myself (Natural).
I want to be honest...I want to be kind...
I want to be the adult I once (in my childhood) longed to be.
I go on fighting against the heart to run away...
I go on fighting against that invisible something!"
---

True Navigation: Two MIX
Mimichan

Postby Razgriz » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:06 pm

BrentNewhall wrote:...

I'd put it on a similar playing field as Grave of the Fireflies.

I was trying to find a good analogy to it, but yeah, it's close to that. Also it's "only" 13 eps, which may or may not be an advantage.
Razgriz

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews