Teen Titans

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Teen Titans

Postby Spiritsword » Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:12 am

Anyone else catch this great new series on Cartoon Network? What did you think? I taped it last night and watched it later, and really liked it! It's based on the comic book of the same name, published by DC. The series has Robin, Starfire, Raven, Cyborg, and Beast Boy as the main Titans featured. The animation style was very anime-esque, with great character designs and even some SD (super-deformed) moments. It was pretty lighthearted and humorous, with some good action sequences. It's on Saturday nights at 8 PM (Central Time) on Cartoon Network if you want to check it out.
Spiritsword

Postby andyroo » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:13 pm

Yeah, saw it last night also. Some of the dialogue to me was wanting in some scenes. I agree, it does have alot of anime influences in it. You can definately get a feel for the audience that the creators were going for. It's pretty good for the most part. As far this disfunctional paragraph goes, I think I'm finnished.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:56 pm

You're Finnish?

In all seriousness, I'm interested in this one. I never really liked the comic series all that much, but sometimes when something is animated it gets better. Plus, this one is newer.
uc pseudonym

Postby Spencer » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:02 pm

I saw a commercial for it, thought it looked okay. Never saw the show, though. I like Cyborg, kinda. Actually, come to think of it...No I don't. I only know of Cyborg and Robin, though. And I don't like Robin. ::shrug::
:)
Spencer

Postby Kenchii » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:36 pm

Yet another 'American-Show-Wannabe-Anime' series.

Well... I have to give credit too the creators they must have spent hours watching anime over and over to create teen titans. cuz they have alot of anime-like jesters in it. Like... the way they kick its in slow motion like anime, when they are looking for something they arms move franticly not connected to there bodies. But, over all this series fails to be anime. Lack of story, too fast battle senes, the whole 'super hereo' idea. Just another 'Batman Beyond' series. This is just a big attemt to get the attention of 'Dragonball Z fanatics' to watch this series. Its all about money, and how the WB (or whoever created it) to get money.

:bang:
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:58 pm

What in the television industry isn't about money?
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:48 pm

I'm also interested in it. I'll probably see it when it airs on WB.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Kenchii » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:51 pm

what in television isent about money

:shady:

you understand what I was trying to say.

..or did you?
私は愛する

<3

Kenchii

Postby Retten » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:23 pm

:bang: ah i missed it guess i will have to wait untill next weekend

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:25 pm

Kenchii wrote:you understand what I was trying to say.

Yup. Just making another point.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kenchii » Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:55 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Yup. Just making another point.

:sweat: :)
私は愛する

<3

Kenchii

Postby Spiritsword » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:09 pm

If you go into it expecting to see a deep, thought-provoking anime series then you're very likely going to be disappointed. If you go into it expecting a fun, fairly cheesy but lighthearted and entertaining superhero show with strong anime influences then you should be fairly pleased. At least I was! You have to remember (wait...no, you don't, since I've never mentioned it), I was into American superhero comics long before I was ever into anime. And although anime has long since overtaken comics as a major hobby of mine, I still really enjoy the good superhero comic or show. And I think Teen Titans qualifies as such. The anime style and effects are just a (major) bonus. And I don't think they were trying to create an anime series, just apply the anime style to the aforementioned superhero series. I think the guy who designed Teen Titans also did Justice League and Batman Beyond, hence the similarities. Teen Titans is just a fun, enjoyable show, as far as I'm concerned.
Spiritsword

Postby Ashley » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:44 pm

yeah it sounds more in the league of Justice League, Samurai Jack and Powerpuff girls than Serial Experiments Lain or Kenshin. Still, I'm gonna watch at least the one episode I have recorded.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:21 pm

Samurai Jack is odd. When I first saw it, I honestly thought it was a gigantic, expensive joke. Then I found out it's actually meant to be a serious show. I have no idea where I'm supposed to put it.
uc pseudonym

Postby blue elf » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:37 pm

I saw this series when they reaired it Sun. night and I thought it was a cute series. And yeah, you could really see the anime influence in it and I really liked some of the character designs. The plots not real deep or anything, but it's not like I was expecting it to be. I enjoyed it though.
-BlueElf :jump:
blue elf

Postby Ashley » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:59 pm

I just finished the first episode (yeah, I've been busy). And truth be told, I loved it. Absolutely loved it. And it DEFINATELY had anime undertones in it, which I thought were great.
"is it just me or are we getting our butts whipped?"
Ashley

Postby andyroo » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:16 pm

"is it just me or are we getting our butts whipped?"

heke?
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Kenchii » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:26 pm

This show has to be the worst anime inspired cartoon servies I have ever seen.

Now, Samurai Jack is more better in some ways then TT. It is more anime-like. The fights,story ect. TT is ment for kids. Let it be like that. Its not anime. :starts going insane:. umm uhh. :stops going insane:. Sorry about that. Just got alil' crazy there. Even Totally Spies is better. lol
私は愛する

<3

Kenchii

Postby Anison Twilight » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:32 am

I guess we all have different oppinions don't we..?
Anison Twilight

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:50 am

I actually saw two episodes of this while at my cousin's hosue. To be honest, I didn't think it was that bad. In some interviews with the creator, we find out that he was trying to use some anime elements, but just because he liked them, not just to copy.

When the show is being action/plot oriented, I generally like it. It's when it breaks into the humorous stuff that it starts annoying me. Then again, I've seen a lot worse stuff in real anime.
uc pseudonym

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:26 am

It's good. That scene where Starfire was drinking mustard was hilarious. But it's on before Kenshin and that's what is important.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews