Does anyone like SPIRITED AWAY

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Ellana » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:20 am

I thought it was rather cute, and the animation was very beautiful. ^^

(I agree, a lot less blood than was in Princess Mononoke. I don't like bloody stuff.)

I really liked Haku.
~ Ellana
Ellana

um i like

Postby Christianotaku » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:51 pm

nausicaa is considered his greatest work

its been compared to the lord of the rings and the narnia books
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby express » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:45 pm

I like Nausicaa, too. It's just ashame that I got a release were the subtitles were always LATE!!!:bang:
express

Postby BrianC » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:17 am

Originally posted by express
I like Nausicaa, too. It's just ashame that I got a release were the subtitles were always LATE!!!:bang:

Nausicaa doesn't have an official DVD release yet. If you got a DVD of it, it was most likely a fansubbed version. As far as I know, no official subtitled version of Nausicaa is available for purchase yet either. Fansubs often have poor subtitles.

The Nausicaa manga has been officially released in the US by Viz and it's very good, but it is rather violent, so you might want to see if your local library has it and check it out from there to see if it's right for you. If you want to see Nausicaa legally in the US, this is your best option. The manga is a bit different from the anime, though.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby express » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:03 pm

Nausicaa doesn't have an official DVD release yet. If you got a DVD of it, it was most likely a fansubbed version. As far as I know, no official subtitled version of Nausicaa is available for purchase yet either. Fansubs often have poor subtitles.

Your are correct. It was from the Perfect Ghibli Box Set (which to me is not so perfect :bang: *That was stupid!!!*).
express

Postby ryukosaonji » Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:12 pm

I saw it 3 weeks ago at a party, I twas really good,but there were a few things that didn't have a purpose. They just confused the plot.
ryukosaonji

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:48 pm

I really enjoyed Sprirted Away. I was so disappointed with it's initial release because it was so limited. I really wanted to see it on the big screen. It didn't play anywhere that I know of in South Carolina at that time. After it got the Oscar, a theater in Myrtle Beach (about an hour away) was showing it. My son and I went and had a great time. It came out on video the following Tuesday and I picked it up. It has become a favorite for not only me but both of my children.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:26 pm

Spirited Away was playing at our local theatre for a bit. I didn't get to go see it though. It didn't play for very long. Oh well, it turned out that I didn't like it a whole lot anyway, so...^^;
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blue elf » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:58 am

I didn't get to see it till after it won an Oscar either. I had to go to Roanoke, which is a little over an hour from my house. I really liked the movie though, so I think it was worth it. Took forever to get my mom to agree to go with me though. She thought I was being stupid wanting to go that far just to see a movie. Oh well. ^^;
-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby webranger7 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:55 am

What is this Princess Monoke stuff???
webranger7

Postby Ashley » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:41 am

Well, I'm kicking this thread back to life. I rented Spirited Away last night, saw it this morning. I've never seen anything like it...truly an awesome movie. I loved every bit of it! But especially the bits with Haku in them. ^^;
Oh, and for anyone who saw the dub, I thought it was great they had the voices of Lilo (from lilo and stitch; she played Chihiro) and Meg (From Hercules, she played Lyn).
Anyway, this definately gets two thumbs up from me! :thumb:
Ashley

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:39 pm

I thought Haku was a different role for Jason Marsden; in everything else I've seen him in, he was the comic relief.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Ashley » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:10 am

Yeah...I was shocked when I saw his name. I didn't recognize him at all! And Haku just flat out rocketh greatly.
Ashley

Postby Psycho Ann » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:54 pm

Arghh, what is it with me and dubs? I'm biased towards dubs so I tend to enjoy VERY few of them.... But SA's artwork and story pretty much made up for it! There were some awkward places where Miyazaki went a little too overboard in artistic license but I was too busy admiring the breathtaking background to notice.

Mononoke is still my fav of Miyazaki movies, and I was just a tiny bit miffed for the "Ending ala Miyazaki". But yeah, SA deserved that Oscar.

(I need to get my hands on a sub, those dub voices grate on my nerves no matter how good they are....)
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby EireWolf » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:46 pm

Hmmm... I liked Spirited Away well enough... The art was wonderful, and of course, Haku was really cool, being a dragon and all... :thumb: ... but I left feeling like I just woke up from a really freakin' weird nightmare! :wow!:
EireWolf

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:24 pm

Hmm... I liked it, but Disney's dub added some unecissary stuff... I mean, it actually had him invoking the spirit of the earth or something like that... He didn't say anything in that part when he moved his hand over Chihiro's leg. I'm so glad they didn't change their names... That would have sucked. But, I think american companies have learned their lessons in that sort of travesty since Sailormoon.

If you have not seen it, watch "Grave of the Fireflies" and watch it subbed not dubbed for full impact, but even the horrible dub of the little girl can't eliminate the emotion from it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:02 pm

anonymous wrote: ...but end sort of left me hanging... I WANT A SEQUEL!!!! (Chihiro and Kohaku need to meet again!!)

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

They can't meet again... If you were paying attention, Haku is a RIVER... Kohakugawa. And a river that was filled in, nonetheless... Although this whole explanation wasn't in the original, it does make sense (gawa does mean river) SO, basically, the river saved her but now the river is gone, so haku stays in there... perhaps she could go back, but that just means that she'd be stuck there again... This isn't a Disney movie despite how much they wish it was and you can't just tag on a sequal because a few people want it or it made money.

END SPOILER END SPOILER END SPOILER END SPOILER END SPOILER
END SPOILER END SPOILER END SPOILER END SPOILER END SPOILER
Bobtheduck

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews