What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby SierraLea » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:50 pm

I've added Gurren Laggan to the list of Anime I've seen, and I have to say I was furious at them for what happened to Kamina. He was almost a typical macho over the top character until you saw all the layers in him. I really loved seeing Simon grow, and how the two mantras of the series are how fighting spirit (aka never giving up) and love are the forces that change the world. Didn't expect a mecha series to have meaningful stuff, but it did. I didn't like any of the female characters, though.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).

Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Rage Of Bahamut: Virgin Soul ep.'s 14-17:

LOL, so that hairball thing is actually real??? :grin: And ah, so that's where SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Lucifer has been... And yikes-- while SPOILER: Highlight text to read: El indeed doesn't trust SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Gabriel one bit, it looks like he just went off the deep end in a whole other direction... :pikka: (Though not in too bad of a way, so long as he listens to those around him...) LOL though, that was waaaaay too easy for SPOILER: Highlight text to read: El to get out. :eyebrow: :forehead: :P ...And then, of course, there's the elephant in the room: Uggghhhhh, so they actually *are* going down the route I'd really hoped they wouldn't :shady: :shake: :bang: -- that is, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Nina x Charioce. :forehead: I mean, for one thing, the 'relationship' is exceedingly unhealthy (not necessarily in terms of how he treats her {well, as "Chris," anyway-- that is, if he really isn't lying or planning to use her in the end, which still remains to be seen}, but in his personality/'convictions'/etc. and how he treats literally everyone else). And for another, I absolutely cannot understand Charioce's characterization at all-- there's seriously *no* way to reconcile SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the crap he does as "king" with his "Chris" persona now that it's basically been confirmed that it's *not* a split personality (...and I am *NOT* buying that 'explanation' of his-- I cannot imagine *any* scenario {not even an apocalyptic one!} where anything he's done as "king" could ever be sufficiently excusable, no less the super-confusingly schizo way he's going about it. There's just no possible way that a person without a split personality can do the horrific things that he's done to countless living beings and then act like he did in this episode unless he's a complete psychopath... and, y'know, that's pretty clearly not a good choice in romance, despite what the show seems to be trying to push {unless the other person in the relationship is psycho as well, of course :P , but Nina isn't}... so if he ends up being written that way, then the writing will have failed on multiple levels :comp: ). Plus, the whole SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Whoa, I can suddenly and inexplicably control my dragon powers now, must've been because we kissed?" bit wasn't good writing, either. :eyebrow: :bootout: (Also, if the show doesn't address the fact that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Favaro was supposed to be following Nina in the next ep., all I can do is just LOL and then facepalm. :forehead: :P )

TL;DR: Having absolutely loved S1 and the two connecting OVA's, and with this season having an even higher budget than S1 as well as a nice, breathable two-cour runtime, I'd had high hopes for this, and had indeed been pretty much loving it until now; however, it seems that the writing is now faltering in the latter of its two cours, which makes me sad. :( I still don't have it in me to dislike this season, but I really hope it gets back on track... :?:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Rage Of Bahamut: Virgin Soul ep.'s 18-20:

Ep. 18: Okay, so they did finally get back around to Favaro keeping an eye on Nina. :P (Oh man, though... he really did SPOILER: Highlight text to read: love Amira-- he's still thinking about her, even 10 years later. <3 </3 <3 And the little talk Favaro had with Nina was great. :thumb: Hopefully she'll think over what he said. (EDIT after watching the next ep.: ...And nope, all that wisdom of Favaro's was very unfortunately wasted, because she clearly didn't think about it at all. :shady: :shake: :bootout: ) And Azazel's emotions-- and the scene between him and Mugaro... so sweet. <3 :hug: Ep. 19 was really annoying again though, with the seen-coming-from-about-100-miles-away 'dumping' + Nina protecting Charioce even still (seriously, girl? The dude has committed *ACTUAL ATROCITIES,* and he sure isn't going to stop now. Couldn't she have just settled for Favaro taking Charioce's arm off? Or even taking it herself if she was that worried? Really not that hard of a decision, TBH... :eyeroll: )-- but at least Favaro knew what was most likely coming there, which (combined with that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: punch :thumb: ) kept it from being *completely* intolerable, LOL (...well, that and the fact that apparently even the nobles hate Charioce because they all just stood around and watched with metaphorical popcorn in hand as he was almost killed, LOL :grin: ). :P ...In all seriousness, I wouldn't have a problem with how this whole plotline is going down if there was actually some consistency in Charioce's characterization-- in other words, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: if he really did do all that on purpose just to use her, or if he's a true psychopath. Unfortunately, however, that's not what the writers seem to be implying-- instead, it seems like they're *attempting* to somehow play all this off as him just being an antihero or whatever (for a supposed reason/cause that *still* hasn't been explained; but TBH I don't even really expect one at this point, no less for it to be anywhere near a logical and sufficient reason when they finally do 'reveal' it, if ever :eyeroll: ), complete with the obvious 'push the other character away by hurting them even though you don't actually mean it' cliché (which doesn't even make any sense here). There's just no possible way I'm gonna buy any 'redemption' of his character at this point, no matter how hard they try to sell it; so when it's obvious that's what they're trying to do, it gets real irritating real fast. :shady: And as for ep. 20: Welp, that was actually a really good fight, if short (I especially liked the teamwork between Favaro + Kaisar and Azazel + Sofiel {though unwillingly done by those latter two, despite being a surprisingly good match-up :grin: }), but most of the rest felt a bit like filler except for some of the stuff with Mugaro (that line of Bacchus' about Mugaro being a gift rather than a pawn in a plan was beautiful :sniffle: <3 , more sweetness with him and Azazel, and even showing that some of Nina's cheerfulness might have always been a façade {though that's a bit too little too late, there}). That said, the after-credits scene was... well, in a way it was predictable, yet... something about the culmination of that whole thread felt off. :eyebrow: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I mean, yeah, Alessand has pretty much always been annoying :eyeroll: , and the whole betrayal thing was already set up with him trying to join the Onyx guys before; but IDK, it just felt like there wasn't enough real buildup to it or something. :eyebrow: It's hard to describe. :sweat: (Also, if any of the characters {other than perhaps Sofiel, I suppose} blames Azazel in any way for that incident, I will rant even harder about inconsistent characterization, because SPOILER: Highlight text to read: even Jeanne apparently understands how much Azazel and Mugaro care about each other. :?: )

...Ah well, at least all the snarky reviews and comments that the show's unfortunate, slow derailment has spawned have been amusing...? :sweat:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews