Kimi No Na Wa (Your Name)

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Kimi No Na Wa (Your Name)

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:44 pm

On Friday, April 7, Kimi No Na Wa (English: Your Name) will be released in US theaters. This Makoto Shinkai movie has broken records around the world, becoming the highest grossing anime film of all time, even outperforming Ghibli classics Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. It is (as of this writing) the fourth highest grossing film (animated or otherwise) in Japan. It has received a 97% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

I have long been a fan of Makoto Shinkai, even as far back as his first major work, Voices of a Distant Star. His other films include The Place Promised in our Early Days, and 5 Centimeters Per Second. While those efforts hold a very special place in my anime universe, Kimi No Na Wa has surpassed them all for me in terms of story, characterization, animation quality, and music.

I highly recommend this film for older teenagers and adults. It is rated PG-13, and contains some mature humor and potentially intense scenes. It does explore themes and practices related to Shintoism. I prefer subtitles, and without spoiling anything I think there are times in this film where a dub could easily gloss over differences in the language that are important to understanding the plot.

I will contribute a more thorough (and possibly spoiler-ific) recap and discussion of the film once its US tour has ended.
ClosetOtaku

Re: Kimi No Na Wa (Your Name)

Postby EventualDay » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:31 pm

I'm just waiting for this to be released on Bluray/DVD. It's definitely the sort of film that I'd like to own.

Normally Makoto Shinkai's works aren't my favorite (5 Centimeters Per Second and Children Who Chase Lost Voices were hard for me to appreciate), but I really liked The Garden of Words (which I *think* was his other most recent).
EventualDay

Re: Kimi No Na Wa (Your Name)

Postby ClosetOtaku » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:56 am

Kimi no na wa appears to be headed for an unprecedented third week in select US theaters, focused largely on major market areas. In its first week, it out-earned North American totals for Spirited Away despite showing in only half the number of theaters. Its total North American gross -- $3.4 million -- is still far short of Spirited Away's $10 million total since its release, and will not likely match that number, but worldwide has earned more than any other anime feature film.

Reviews have generally been very good -- the movie has scored 98% on RottenTomatoes, with similar results on IMDb and Metacritic.

All this is to say that if you have the means to get to see this movie before it disappears from theaters -- and with no R1 DVD/Blu-Ray release date in sight -- you should plan to hop in a car, take a plane, or do whatever to see it legally right now.

More discussion to follow.
ClosetOtaku

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews