Yu Yu Hakusho

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Yu Yu Hakusho

Postby kingoleer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:52 pm

Hey, I've seen this one a couple of times on cartoon network, I'm now trying to watch it regularly.

Just wondered what you guys thought of this series, I haven't seen much about it anywhere. I actually enjoy it alot and find the store line pretty interesting.
kingoleer

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:41 am

Well, it was enormously popular in Japan, rivaling even DBZ for a while as the major shonen title. I'd suggest reading the manga, as there's a lot of stuff in the beginning cut from the anime that is somewhat interesting. The fighting can be good, and I'm fond of some of the characters. Overall, pretty good.
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:53 am

I always liked it, but someone decided it was a good idea to take it off at night, so now I hardly ever see it anymore...:( Hmm, maybe I need to look into getting the manga...

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:03 pm

One other comment: the ending is extremely, extremely disappointing. I rarely use duplicate terms like that, but in this case it is deserving. Just so you won't be too unhappy.
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:10 pm

Well...that...just....figures...:(

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby BrianC » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:21 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:One other comment: the ending is extremely, extremely disappointing. I rarely use duplicate terms like that, but in this case it is deserving. Just so you won't be too unhappy.

You are talking about the anime ending right? Does this hold true for the manga version too? Does the anime have one of those unresolved endings or a just plain lame ending?
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Psycho Ann » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm

I happen to like the manga ending pretty much ^^ It's definitely a Togashi-esque ending, and for a change it's actually pretty sweet ^^

I dunno about the anime though...
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Spiritsword » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:04 pm

Originally posted by uc pseudonym:
One other comment: the ending is extremely, extremely disappointing. I rarely use duplicate terms like that, but in this case it is deserving. Just so you won't be too unhappy.

Uh, oh. I've been looking forward to seeing the ending. Ever since Cartoon Network stopped the series in progress and went back to the first episode right before they got to the ending, I've been waiting through the second run in hopes they'll actually show the ending this time...
Spiritsword

Postby Psycho Ann » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:05 pm

Um, I dunno about the anime, but the manga goes waaaayyyy beyond the Dark Tournament saga. The series does progressively gets darker in theme so maybe they didn't adapt the rest into the anime (or--as it usually goes--the anime ended before the manga did, like HunterxHunter).

But then again, I saw anime cards of YYH where the chars are those beyond the Dark Tournament saga, so maybe CN might skip those sagas because of the rating (but that sure didn't stop them for going on with others....)
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.

Psycho Ann

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:28 am

Hmmm. I'm referring to the anime ending, I'm not really sure if the manga is that different. The ending I mean is the little terrorist thing. Is that the way the manga ends?
uc pseudonym

Postby Psycho Ann » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:44 pm

Hey, they DID go through with the whole manga? Wow~! Yep, that little terrorist thing and closing on the beach thing ^^ Those final chapters basically address the characters' "closing relationships" so it really had no purpose then to show a certain's char's devotion to another certain char. ^^

Psycho Ann

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews