Angel Arms and Plants

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Angel Arms and Plants

Postby Enrico Maxwell » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:40 pm

(This probably will spoil you if you haven't seen all of Trigun.)

The weapons that Vash and Knives manifest are called "Angel Arms". This is likely due to the "wings" that appear on them when they are fully present. (This is much more visible in the manga than the anime.) The female "plants" in the bulbs also seem to have wings. There's very little on where the plants came from in the anime, only that they are part of the "Pandora's Box given to humanity by God" and what is said in the Project SEEDS episode about how they were developed on Earth.

Do you think this is a commentary on how man uses God to suit his needs, instead of allowing himself to be used by God? The plants in their bulbs are beautiful, sensitive creatures, as evidenced in the episodes where Vash speaks to them. Yet they are prisoners of humanity, forced to be sucked dry of energy, in the same way humans will beg God for favors and blessings but not bother to keep His commands.

And that's not even touching on Vash's obvious Christ parallels...

Now here's a thought. If Vash is Christ, who is Wolfwood? I would say Peter, for the denial, the martyrdom, and Peter's position as a pharisee is roughly equivalent to Wolfwood's in his "church".
Gird thy sword upon thy thigh, O most mighty, with thy glory and thy majesty. And in thy majesty ride prosperously because of truth and meekness and righteousness; and thy right hand shall teach thee terrible things. Psalms 45:3-4
Enrico Maxwell

Postby MillyFan » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:19 am

:comp: I really think this theory is one that just doesn't work at all. For all the parallels you may think you see, the characters aren't a parable of Christianity, and there are just as many total dissimilarities. I think it's a story that may have been influenced more than a bit by Judeo-Christian thought (especially the wisdom books, I noticed at least some allusions to themes in Job and Proverbs), but still just a very cool sci-fi space western with NO parable meanings or anything.

I don't think Nightow originally intended this, and IMHO to twist a writer's original meaning or intent, even for our own benefit, is ethically questionable at best and leaves us open to embarrassment when we are told that we are wrong.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Ashley » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:23 am

Yeah, I'm with Milly on this one. There's a BIG difference between relating something in the Bible to something you seen on screen (which, yes you can do numerous times with Trigun; from lessons on alcoholism to revenge), but it's another thing entirely to start making it into an allegory. The latter is an arrogant twisting of a media into something that it was never intended to be.
I've noticed a lot of Christians try to "Christianize" everything nowadays; certainly not all, I want to make that clear, but there are a handful of believers that see a movie, realize it's got a lot of good themes in it, and automatically start making it into a Christian movie/allegory. I've seen it done countless times with the Matrix and the Lord of the Rings, and with various anime.
The problem with this is that since the writers did not intend it to be an allegory (Tolkien is a whole 'nother argument in itself, so I won't go there), there are flaws in the analogy, and naturally Christians either avoid these flaws or justify them and it just throws the whole thing off. Like Milly said, as many Messianic attributes Vash or Wolfwood has there are just as many non-Christ like ones as well.
Ashley

Postby Enrico Maxwell » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:37 am

It's impossible to watch a film or read a book without forming some interpretation of it. If you take no meaning from it, why bother having even read the book? I am of the opinion that an author chooses his symbolism carefully, and wants his readers to put the thought into deciphering it that he put into creating it.

I don't know how old you are, but if you intend on doing any liberal arts classes in university, particularly literature, you will be expected to pick out a lot of symbolism and meaning.

I am of the opinion that Christians should look at everything they read or watch for Christian themes or comments on God and the world around them. Otherwise, our enjoyment of an anime is pure human emotion and we are not glorifying God with our time and thought.
Gird thy sword upon thy thigh, O most mighty, with thy glory and thy majesty. And in thy majesty ride prosperously because of truth and meekness and righteousness; and thy right hand shall teach thee terrible things. Psalms 45:3-4
Enrico Maxwell

Postby Ashley » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:49 am

Well, sure. That's what I was trying to say; it's more than okay to relate the things you see to the things of God. As long as you don't cross the line and start making it into an allegory or what have you. But commenting on symbolism? That I'm perfectly okay with. :cool:
Ashley

Who say tolkien

Postby Christianotaku » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:50 am

Who says tolkiens books arent an allegory?
have you ever read the similliaron because the story of the beggining there is so similar to lucifers fall. I have a book called finding god in the lord of the rings and the points it makes are flawless. also is the book. Ive told people matrix isnt based on jesus christ but alas and alack they dont believe me i need to find a good argument.
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:11 am

I will neither confirm or deny Tolkien's books as an allegory because 1- I've heard both sides to it, 2- it's just going to turn this into a debate and 3- we were talking about Trigun.
So I hope this thread keeps moving along in the direction it was going; consider the rabbit trail known as discussing Tolkien off-limits, okay?
Ashley

Postby MillyFan » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:57 am

This thread is one of the most inane theories in the history of this board-why can't it die? Trigun is NOT a Christian allegory, no matter what some wishful thinkers want.

Anyway, will everyone please give this thread its funeral rites and let it drift nicely to the back pages where it belongs? *hint, hint* you have the avatar for it, go right ahead.

:comp:

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews