Evangelion: Death and rebirth.

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Evangelion: Death and rebirth.

Postby Shinji Ikari » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:30 am

I bought this up on the other boards I visit, But I'd like to gage response from the CAA on what they think of Evangelion: Death and rebirth, the first of a 2 part end of Evangelion Spectacular.

Personally, i thought it was an excellent movie. The animation was superb, and the EVA fight scenes were done with dedication. The only thing I hat about it is that the Eva's fight Angels. I don't like the Idea of killing messengers of God, So I say to myself they're the Antichrist's 1/3 of the angels.

It was a thought provoking end of the world saga, starting at the second wave, the first event in neon genesis Evangelion, and progressing to the third Impact.

If i could have changed one thing about Evangelion, i would have had Shinji, my favorite character, form a relationship with Asuka, his crush. I also would have enjoyed it if Kaworu had been able to form a longer friendship with Shinji, I would have bought the fifth child in sooner. Then when he turned out to be an Angel, it would have been more emotional.

Of course, this movie could have done without Shinji's "deed" at the hospital visiting Asuka. I would not suggest this movie if you are easily offended. I can't say it here out of respect for your G rated environment, I have elaborated on this matter on the other boards though.

So, what do you think of Evangelion?
Shinji Ikari

Postby kriz182 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:48 am

just two words: Evangelion ROCKS!!

it has the concept as deep as the Matrix. The kind of story that keeps you thinking hard in the end. Trying to get the whole idea and concept of the story...really great!
We talk about hate more than we talk about love...
How can the world be a better place?
kriz182

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:39 am

I did not care for Evangelion as a whole. I prefer lighter anime. From some of what you say it seems you assume their use of Christian symbolism can somehow fit into Scriptural teachings. I don't feel they can in regard to this series. From my viewpoint the creators of EVA knew very little about Christianity and only did enough research as to use Christian symbols as plot device. The majority of symbols (the cross, angels, etc.) remind us of the hope found in our relationship to God. This series offered no hope. In fact the message I took away from this is that man controls his fate and destiny as in the end it centered around Shinji's will, not God's. I realize that my expectations may be a little high considering the culture anime comes from (Buddist). However, if a series is being produced (even anime) using Christian elements, I think it should be true to it's beliefs.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:00 am

We have had a few threads on Evangelion around here - they're pretty easy to find. They also seem to spawn arguments. You'll be able to find the opinions of other CAA members on them. They main Evangelion thread is under reviews.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Kenchii » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:42 pm

:starts chanting: :dance: EVAGELION ROCKS! :dance:
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:21 pm

<-- notice my avatar, then my sig underneath this post.

now you know. ah ha!

but for Evangelion discussions, let's not hold it here. it'll be quite... spoiling.
LorentzForce

Postby minjigga » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:56 am

yah evangelion and the movies are all great in my opinion. its such a philosophical anime it boggles my mind. and yes the animation is quite amazing.
payce:God bless:minjigs
minjigga

Postby Kirika » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:38 pm

Evangelion was good, but it's far from being the best anime.
In the series, there's some episodes where it seems like the producers were just tired that day and didn't put any efforts on the drawings...
But exempt that, the story was exellent and deep.
Well, the animation quality is something very important to me, so don't listen to me :P
I just think it could've been much much better
Kirika

Postby Benu » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:06 pm

Death and rebirth was no where near as disturbing and freaky as EOE. that's what I think. but I think Rev. Doc has said everything I wanted to say about Evangelion. But most of Evangelion is not based on Christanity but Jewish myths. I'm jewish but alot of it does not bother me. But they do use Christanity in a bad light as there is no hope and God does not exist.
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Postby Stephen » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:29 pm

Evangelion....*yawn*
Stephen

Postby Benu » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:07 pm

Evangelion....*yawn*

:lol:
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Postby freeze » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:21 pm

yup when i watched the last few episodes + death & rebirth i did it in like a 6 hour sitting, lol, and needless to say my mind exploded numerous times :P
freeze

Postby MillyFan » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:37 pm

Evangelion? Ugh. . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:52 pm

EoE is more exciting than skydiving
EoE is more depressing and sad than losing your best friend
EoE is more beautiful than a million Venus'
EoE is so emotional it can cause suicides
EoE is more confusing than few hundred dancing monkeys
EoE... is simply the best animated movie out there that follows a series.

but most people think it's related to Christianity because there are Christ symbols everywhere, when it truth, it really is only the director's perception of his world, and has nothing to do with Christianity or any other religion.

and remember, there's a reason why it's rated M15+...
LorentzForce

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:58 pm

but let's stick with D&R, which isn't bad at all compared to EoE. afterall, it is the topic, right?
LorentzForce

Postby inkhana » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:48 am

LorentzForce wrote:EoE is more beautiful than a million Venus'

Ordinarily, this wouldn't have bugged me so much, but you just went and compared a work of MAN to a work of GOD. NO animation ANYWHERE compares to GOD's handiwork. Even if you meant it in jest. My two cents.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Benu » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:16 am

Ordinarily, this wouldn't have bugged me so much, but you just went and compared a work of MAN to a work of GOD. NO animation ANYWHERE compares to GOD's handiwork. Even if you meant it in jest. My two cents.

I'm with ya inkhana. :rock: But still I don't think EOE is the best because the director never ment to make it in the first place!!! The only reason why he made it is because snoty fans didn't understand or like the last two episodes. Which is why EOE is a pure work of anger not passion. That is also why I think it was really vulger and disturbing. I hope Evangelion fans don't start chasing me with pitchforks and torches, But that my Opinion. I hope I didn't make anyone mad, if I have please forgive me. :sweat:
Benu

Postby Spiritsword » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:23 pm

Most people seem to either love or hate Evangelion. I just don't have a really strong opinion either way, if that's possible. The Eva series was one of the first anime series I ever watched, so it does have a bit of a special place in my heart for that reason, but I had mixed feelings about it. I didn't find it disturbing--anime really doesn't ever "disturb" me (except for Lain...)--I just didn't follow it very well, even though I usually love and understand intricate storylines. I think it was because I didn't understand the background or basis for the series. I was trying to equate it to Christianity somehow, and as people have already mentioned, that just doesn't work. (Was it based on the Dead Sea Scrolls specifically, or just apochrypal/non-Biblical Jewish mythology in general?)

Anyway, I never watched Death and Rebirth because I heard it was just a rehashing of the original series. Is that true? I did watch the End of Eva, which wasn't too bad but not spectacular either.
Spiritsword

Postby Christianotaku » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:26 pm

Evangelion has spawned to many hentai dojins then i see fit. I think if i ever watch it it will only because theres no other anime i want to watch
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Stephen » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:49 pm

The pure bliss of watching grass grow, or the edge of your seat ride of watching paint dry would take my time before Evangelion....in other news, the true man behind NGE has come out...NGE was really made by....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen

Postby Shinji Ikari » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:03 am

Okay, sorry it took me so long to reply to this, this is a much more heavy discussion than i thought it would be.

Neon genesis evangelion to me has christian elements, but it's not true to the Christian faith as a whole. I don't care that it's not. It's pure ENTERTAINMENT. Entertainment as in, dude, don't take it so seriously as if shinji was the Antichrist or something.

This is the 19th Angel, Osamamon. yeah I know, I mixed two anime's :p

I'm making a christian anime series called rising Sun. It's going to be 100 % accurate for the christian faith, so if that's what you're waiting for here at CAA, you'll love Rising Sun.
Shinji Ikari

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:11 am

I personaly think making anime with "Christian Elements" is kinda sad, but thats just my take. I think its good to keep fantasy fantasy and Christianity Christianity. Not that I would hate a Christian anime, but I think the idea of using Christian fundementals (NGE) just for plot or whatever...eh no thanks.
Stephen

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:03 am

1) yes, i was refering to that Roman or Greek mythology's Venus. thanks for clarifying St Peter.
2) it created as many hentai materials that its number can be compared to how many ants there are in a colony. probably more. this is one of the reasons why Anno made the movie in hate/anger. that's why it's also unique.

no pr0n material was released in NGE. at all. none. some nudity perhaps, and some mishappenings, but that's about it; no more than a M15+ scifi movie.

3) i wouldn't dislike Christian anime. or like it a lot. just my preference. because anime is there to entertain, not something i have to think over and over on the matters that i have thought over before.
LorentzForce

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:30 pm

what about episode 20?????????
I heard you dotn see the sex but you can hear the whole thing in one of the episodes!
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:21 pm

Please guys, don't turn this into another NGE debate. I can honostly say now, that I bitterly hate NGE...not because of content, storyline...or anything like that...but because I am so sick of hearing people fight back and forth about it. I am closing this thread, please feel free to TALK not bicker and fight, but talk about NGE in the thread that was set up to do so.NGE Thread
Stephen

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews