Record of Lodoss War

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Record of Lodoss War

Postby Gleph » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:32 am

I really enjoyed watching this! It was a great series! (though i don't have any means to play the DVDs anymore =\)

Parn and Deedlit are great, as are... Spark and .... Little Nesse ^_^ Very nice couples. :) The first series is great, and i enjoyed it thoroughly. I didn't manage to see through the 2nd series though... But i can tell i'll enjoy it :)

Fantasy has always been a big interest of mine, and when i found about it (I originally found out about it about... a year ago? while getting back into anime again after a long haitus) i jumped at the chance. I have an awesome AMV for it, and the series is awesome. The idea of swords and sorcery enthralls me.

It isn't so complex, but that's what's so good about it. :)

God Bless
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Postby Spiritsword » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:16 am

Heh, you and I seem to have a lot of anime interests in common, Gleph. I'd list both Lodoss (the original) and The Vision of Escaflowne among my top 5 favorite anime series, and Kenshin would be in the Top 10. I'm more a fan of the fantasy genre than martial arts, but all three are great.

As for Lodoss specifically, yeah, it's a really good series. I prefer the original with Parn and Deedlit, Ghim and Slayn to the 2nd series with Spark. The original just caught more of the Dungeons and Dragons, role-playing feel than the newer, and was darker and more intense. Plus, I liked the animation style better. Yeah, it's your traditional sord and sorcery plot, but you're right, that's what makes it so engaging. It's those archetypes we all love to go back to time and again in fairy tales and fantasy.

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby Izumi San » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:27 pm

I've never actually seen it, but it looks pretty kewl :) It used to be downloadable for free on toonami.com XD
I've been having these weird thoughts lately, like, is any of this for real, or not?
Izumi San

Postby BrianC » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:25 pm

I love Record of Lodoss Wars. I have seen the OVAs (the ones without Spark) and the TV series (the ones with Spark). IMO, I'm a bit disappointed that the original Lodoss novels weren't brought here becuase they are different than the OVAs and certain elements of the TV series are explained in them (the TV series is in the novels' timeline, not the OVA timeline). I'm not sure if the manga is in the novel timeline, but I think it is (I haven't read the manga, but it has the same name as the novels). BTW, the OVAs aren't the original Lodoss; the novels are.

I love the Lodoss TV series and OVAs and I'm not sure with ones I liked better. The OVAs had a better voice cast, though. The voice of Syphiel in Slayers did Deedlit in the Lodoss OVAs.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Gleph » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:59 pm

I've seen a little of the OAV. For the record, i like the TV series. It's pretty cool. Though i get the feeling it's probably just the end to the OAV? The OAV was when Parn was younger right?

God Bless
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Postby BrianC » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:23 pm

Gleph wrote:I've seen a little of the OAV. For the record, i like the TV series. It's pretty cool. Though i get the feeling it's probably just the end to the OAV? The OAV was when Parn was younger right?

God Bless

The TV series is not the end to the OVA. The OVAs have a definate ending that is very different from the ending of the TV series. I assumed that by saying that the TV series is in novels timeline and not the OVAs, that I made it clear that the TV series is in a different timeline than the OVAs. I guess I assumed wrong. :( Events happen much differently in the OVAs than in the TV series, becuase it goes by what happened in the novels, not what happened in the OVAs. If you try to make sense of the events of the TV series by using the OVAs you will be very confused. Parn is younger in the OVAs, though.

What is the Lodoss manga like? Will the events of the TV series be clearer if I read the manga based on the first novel (Record of Lodoss War: The Grey Witch)?
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews