September 2007 Original Character Contest

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

September 2007 Original Character Contest

Postby Dante » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:52 pm

September 2007 Original Character Design Contest
Above the Clouds

In this contest the theme is the sky, particularly your character being high within that sky, they could be on the top of a mountain, flying in a plane, skydiving, but the most important thing is that they are as far away from the Earth as possible. Of course, the sky isn’t just a plane blue globe, it is enamored in clouds, and takes on all forms of shades and colors in brilliance of day and the sparkling light of night or amidst the clouds…

As usual four areas will be judged by JM,

Most Creative Design
Most Creative Background
Best Technical Entry
Best Bio/Personality/History applied to the character

*Could a mod please move this to the art contest area?*
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:56 pm

Awesome idea, Pascal. I'm looking forward to this one.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:09 am

A notice worth takeing is that we are hopefuly going to move this thread into the art contest submition section. And that I would like every image uploaded into this thread. It makes things easier :)

Hope to see more great images :)
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Dante » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:02 pm

Agreed, I had a hard time keeping track of all the other submissions when everyone had to start a new thread every time they wanted to submit something, I'd rather they be able to submit things directly onto this thread alone, but that was unfortunately impossible with the other thread.

-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:31 pm

I have an idea for this one...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Maledicte » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:16 pm

I have an idea for this one too! Hopefully I'll actually draw it in time.
Maledicte

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:42 am

Hmmm, this got moved to the art contest section? I requested it like 3 times to be moved into the art contest submition section XD

Jingo Jaden

Is this ok?

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:59 pm

I just started it and wanted to know if this is ok for the contest? Or is this considered TOO far from Earth?? Also do we post our entries in this thread directly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bless me indeed
Open wide my horizons to share your name
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:29 am

Looks fine as a submition to me :) *I am the one who will tell the other members who wins* However, you might want to make a story and color it :)

Jingo Jaden

September entry

Postby aalenfae » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:00 pm

redacted
Last edited by aalenfae on Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aalenfae

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:26 pm

Oh man... I hope I can come up with a bio.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Dante » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:56 pm

WOW O_O... Those are just some spectacular works of art (and I agree that SolidArmor's piece qualifies as a sky piece... mostly because the Earth's "atmosphere" extends out far far far out into the depths of space, and not just 50km above our surface... that's only where 99% of the atmosphere is :P...). The moon in that scene is beautifully depicted, and we have another stellar piece by aalenfae! Combine that with the perfect cell-shading and fire-stained sky of Shao-Feng Li and we have some amazing works this month! :) YAY!!! Bounces around the room... floor collapses... silence.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby USSRGirl » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Hey, when's the deadline for this month's contest? I might actually participate, but please have mercy on this poor photoshop deprived primitive being. XP
USSRGirl

Postby Dante » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:42 pm

September 30, whenever JM decides is the final hour he wants to stay up until. Oh, and in case you don't have photoshop, there is always the GIMP, but coloring isn't required for the contest, but in case you wanted something that could, the GIMP 2.0 should be able to do most major functions for free :).

-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby USSRGirl » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:11 pm

O.O I shall google it! Except I can't download most anything... good. >.<
USSRGirl

"What used to be...."

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:04 pm

(Drawing number 1)
As the dust settled and first signs of light began to approach, it had hit me at just how far I traveled to come back to what used to be. I remember this place as if it were yesterday, its beauty was matched only by that of the world most of us had taken an oath to protect. But, even then there was descention among the highest of watchers. What were we thinking? Letting their lies wash over us as truth...filling us with thoughts of betrayal from those we knew would never turn their backs on us.

(Drawing number 2)
As the shadow that encompassed the dark half of this place retreated from the light, an image before me cuts into me like a high yield "Plasma Lancer". The images of those screaming, and pushing others out of their way, running for their very lives....the sound of Caster blasts ringing out in the streets. Women, children...men TOO cowardly to take up arms and fight back...falling one after another. Why were we doing it? What made it seem so right to us?!? Did these people really mean to betray us? Were they really planning to step foot unto a place we were told to only protect? WHO had given the order to fire...who had given us the order to slay them where they stood? No armor, no weapons, no means to putting so much as a struggle....this was an order for genocide. And like blind mice we followed those orders.

(Drawing number 3)
The end result is the dead city that lay before me, just like the rest of this place. Silence...nothing but silence lives here now. No one has set foot back here since it happened...or maybe no one wants to come back? The time is coming where this place will have to see life once more. Over four billion years has since past, yet I still sense a presence here within its tattered structures. Something within me, hears a calling. Something....no...someone so familiar that even now stirs emotion inside me. Could she have survived the "cleansing"? I never thought about it till it was nearly over....though I can still remember shuttle after shuttle escaping the conflict.

If she had survived, then maybe it was her that made this place so marvelous...and now this city will be needed again. Though time has passed, the war still wages, and I fear that it will soon find its way here. To the place we swore to protect...the place that we failed...that I failed, but no longer. One "High-Guard" will keep that oath...now I must face my worst fears...those who I once served.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bless me indeed
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Most awesome looking entries comming in.

Solidarmor, if I could just steal your mech lineart skills. :drool:

Jingo Jaden

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Jaden Mental wrote:Most awesome looking entries coming in.

Solidarmor, if I could just steal your mech lineart skills. :drool:

Thanks Jaden, the only bad thing about the image is that it's even more detailed and the image size allowable to post here is like 279k. Since then I've added stars to the first image, that really gives it depth...and you can't go back and re-edit your posts anymore.
Bless me indeed
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:01 am

You sure can, it ain't october yet. Either way if it won't re-edit then just make a new post.

Jingo Jaden

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:47 pm

Jaden Mental wrote:You sure can, it ain't october yet. Either way if it won't re-edit then just make a new post.

I noticed Shao Feng was able to post an image over 700k? I'll do what I can to post the edits, especially since I'm adding color to them. Possibly only the first 2, and resize the last one to make it bigger?
Bless me indeed
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:40 pm

So the time has come for me to see through this........

Most Creative Design - Aalenfae * Mainly because you had movement in it*
Most Creative Background - SolidÅrmor for his many and inntresting designs.
Best Technical Entry - A pure dogfight beetwen SolidÅrmor and Shao. Solid with the incredible lineart and Shao with her extreme coloring skills.
Best Bio/Personality/History applied to the character - Aalenfae came close, but SolidÅrmor nicked it.

SolidÅrmor is the winner of this contest, with Aalenfae came very close to nicking it. Solid will host the next competition, and once again I must thank you people for some brilliant designs.

*Goes to send a pm*

Jingo Jaden

Postby SolidÃ…rmor » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:14 pm

Here is the revamped version of the Earth drawing. It just didn't seem worthy of winning the way it was.

Here is the newest version of the Moon City drawing. I liked the black and white look to it, but I had to add stars to the background.

I'm still coloring the 2nd. I will post when it's done. As I stated above they just didn't seem worthy of winning. To me they were kinda bland, I was doing my best to get them in before the deadline, but my work schedule really put a damper on that idea. Thanks Jaden for the kind comments...even if I didn't win it was pretty cool just entering with Shao and Aalenfae. Their pieces were spectacular. :)

I'll go hide now...the shyness is creeping up on me. Heh
Bless me indeed
Bless me indeed
Let your hand keep me
from harm and pain
Bless me
Bless me
SolidÃ…rmor

Postby Dante » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:29 pm

Congratulations to Solid Armor and everyone else who made some incredible entries into this months contest! :) The next one looks really fun to, so don't put away those pencils yet!

Thank you to all of the participants, you guys made some spectacular art!
Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Garjzla » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:20 am

SolidArmor it looks really good
God+Anime+Internet+Forums=1337
"MOES: Where everybody knows your sig (because it's a reasonable size)."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Garjzla

Postby Midknight74012 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 am

Error 404.... pages gone.
Psalms 82:3-4
Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;
maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.
Rescue the weak and needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
Midknight74012

Return to Art Contests