May 2007 Original Character Design Contest :)

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

May 2007 Original Character Design Contest :)

Postby Dante » Thu May 03, 2007 10:06 pm

May Original Character Contest

Dastardly Villains!!!

This contest centers on the creation of an original villain character, not necessarily a primary villain, but any character, creature, bot what-not that would stand in the path of any hero achieving their dreams. This is a contest specifically for the underappreciated bad guys and misunderstood angry plant-life without which video games, anime and manga would be nothing!

As usual four areas will be judged by JM,

Most Creative Design
Most Creative Background
Best Technical Entry
Best Bio/Personality/History applied to the character

The end of school approaches for many and I hope this will be the beginning of an exciting summer of contest entries!

*Could a mod please move this to the art contest area?*
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu May 03, 2007 10:36 pm

SCHAWEET!! ^_^ I will try my best to enter this!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby c-girl » Thu May 03, 2007 10:51 pm

>^-^< Guess I'll also take a shot at it too. >^^< I've never entered any of the contests on here before!
I live to love and love to live! >^.^<
ImageImage
I am part of The No Group.. Group.. >"<.. >0.o<
~Real guys go for real down to Mars girls ~ "Roses" by Outkast
c-girl

Location: Omg! It's a flying bird!!! *runs away while you're distracted*

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu May 03, 2007 11:48 pm

Looks great :D
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Debitt » Thu May 03, 2007 11:51 pm

Oh goody, this one looks like it could be entertaining.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby soul alive » Fri May 04, 2007 3:06 am

Nice prompt, Pascal. I'm done with school except for finals, so should be able to get something done. *dances* I have some villainous characters for my comic that haven't come to fruition yet, so this would be a great chance.

Now I just need to get a new pen for my tablet... my old one broke. ;_;
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Esoteric » Sat May 05, 2007 8:47 pm

A villain, eh? I'll have to do something for this one.
Esoteric

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat May 05, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm going to have to break my habit of being a bad artist to enter this one.
Fish and Chips

Postby Alice » Sun May 06, 2007 10:01 pm

This sounds really fun. Unfortunately, I'm not known for great art *or* great villains. :(
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun May 06, 2007 11:35 pm

*Can a mod please move this into the art section*?

Well, you don't have to be great in terms of visuality to win this one. If you are creative enough in a fine way and make a nice character decription then it may be enough to make the 2 out of the 4 points possible to win :)

Jingo Jaden

Postby Esoteric » Fri May 11, 2007 5:27 pm

I love a good villain. And by 'good' I mean a smart, realistic antagonist with slightly more humble ambitions than taking over the world. ;)

Meet my antagonist, Michael Gunderson.

~~~In the future humans have begun to terraform and populate other planets, but not without dangers. Born on the Jovian moon, Titan, Micheal entered the Naval Space Academy in order to escape poverty. He quickly demonstrated a gift for strategy and was trained as a tactical officer. After serving two tours of duty during the Kenner-Asteroid skirmishes, he became disillusioned with the politics of the military and resigned.
~~~Gunderson went into business for himself as a mercenary where he could play by his own rules. His crack team of ex-Space Navy soldiers get the job done. While Gunderson is not known for using excessive force, he'll do whatever it takes to keep his team safe and win.
His latest job brings him into conflict with the hero of our little tale. A greedy mining conglomerate has hired Gunderson's mercs to, 'confiscate' a small independent mine which has recently struck a rich vein of kanjade on Iapetus 6.
~~~Gunderson's first attempt to take the mine almost succeeds...until he encounters a Black Eye (our hero) among the mining crew. Black Eye's are rare albinos...the result of a genetic mutation linked to a drug once used to stabilize pregnancies in zero-G. While most Black Eyes are harmless...15% have vocal cords capable of emitting destructive and or hypnotic frequencies. Realizing he could lose his whole team, Gunderson graciously retreats without casualties on either side. Next time, however, Gunderson will be ready to deal with the Black Eye.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esoteric

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 11, 2007 5:31 pm

Are we allowed to collaborate? Say, my villain and someone else's artistry for a submission? Or are collective entries discouraged?

Actually, I think I answered my own question there. I'll just see what I can whip up before the end of the month.
Fish and Chips

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri May 11, 2007 5:33 pm

You can combine with another member here at CAA, or even link the character to a anime/game

However, it is very important that it is a original design.

Btw, looks great Shao.

Jingo Jaden

Postby chibiphonebooth » Fri May 11, 2007 6:03 pm

TOTALLY doing this.

me loves some bad guyz. :O
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri May 11, 2007 6:15 pm

Esoooooooo i loooove your character!! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 11, 2007 8:12 pm

Jaden Mental wrote:You can combine with another member here at CAA, or even link the character to a anime/game

However, it is very important that it is a original design.

Nah, that would be unfair to the people who both came up with characters and drew them single-handedly. I'll see what I can manage under my own skill.
Fish and Chips

Postby Myoti » Fri May 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Perhaps it's time I actually try doing one of these...
Myoti

Postby Alice » Fri May 11, 2007 8:48 pm

Is the deadline the end of may?
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby ShadowCat » Mon May 14, 2007 9:23 pm

Lee...or should I say, 'HodaLee.'
A seemingly innocent fun-loving girl. She joined her team on many missions, and was one of the team. However, when the Ancient Crystal of Mau surfaced, she turned on her team, killing their beloved leader, and shocking the team she used to be so 'loyal' to. Go back to the cleverly named "HodaLand", she spends most her time plotting and scheming. Her favorite thing to do, is to back stab her comrades, leaving her an open target for suspicion from her current team. Leaving a gaping wound in the hearts of the people who called her 'friend', she smiles, glaring at her new foes.
ShadowCat

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon May 14, 2007 9:28 pm

SC, that was a great picture :D

Jingo Jaden

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon May 14, 2007 9:37 pm

Gah! Drawing issues. I wouldn't suppose a picture is expendible if the biography includes a description, would it?
Fish and Chips

Postby Dante » Wed May 30, 2007 7:44 pm

Wow! Great job esoteric and shadowcat! I've drawn a character for this month, but unfortunately I can't say that he's been colored yet or even inked, thus for lack of quality he'll just have to wait around a little bit. I've been very busy working on the design of a new web page I hope to place on the internet and trying to learn html, java, Tensors... you name it, I'm having fun trying to learn it! But I'm exstatic to see such great entries this time, good job everyone!

-Pascal
Thanks for making this a great art contest this month!
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu May 31, 2007 12:07 am

Hello people :)

We got two enteries this time, and Esoteric won this one, great going that :D

Jingo Jaden

Postby soul alive » Thu May 31, 2007 1:24 am

Congrats, Eso!

I really hope that I have time to participate in June, I just ran out this month. ^^;
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Esoteric » Thu May 31, 2007 6:35 am

Thanks guys! Yeah, I certainly understand about being busy....
Esoteric

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu May 31, 2007 4:26 pm

Wait, the contest is over? Oh well. I just lost track of time...

Congratulations, Esoteric! I really liked your picture.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Dante » Thu May 31, 2007 9:44 pm

Pascal: NOT SO FAST! FOR IT IT IS STILL 9:19 PM IN ARIZONA!!! MWAH HA HA HA!!! ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE THE MOST DEVIANT VILLIAN OF THEM ALL, MYSELF!!! YES! I AM THE MOST DIABOLICAL DASTARDLY VILLIAN OF THEM ALL!

: Servebot comes over and whispers something in Pascal's ear :

Pascal: What do you mean that the contest is determined by JM standard time!? But... but but... BUT I WANTED TO ENTER WITH A LAST MINUTE ENTRY OF CRAZINESS! :P Granted nothing from my collection could match the artistic prowess of Esoteric but alas, tis over... Yet it is not OVER! (Diabolical laughter)

: Pascal stands upon a massive cliff lightening crashing down in the background as he let's loose a mad scientist laugh bar none. :

Pascal: HEAR ME ALL MEMBERS OF THE ORIGINAL ART CONTEST, INCLUDING JM AND FISH AND CHIPS! FOR YOUR DASTARDLY GOOD ART AND BRILLIANT IDEAS I SHALL BRING DOWN UPON YOU THE WRATH OF MY POWER! YOUR PUNISHEMENT, IS THAT YOU WILL BE BANISHED FROM OUR DIMENSION TO ONE BEYOND OUR CURRENT REALM, THE ETERNAL CLASSROOM OF DR. PETER BENNETT!

Pascal: Dr. Bennett is a likable and friendly physics prof. who teaches undergraduate upper level quantum and electrodynamics courses for a living in this dimension. However, without really meaning anything by it, he will eat your soul with massive zeros scribbled in red ink accross your homework, assigning computer problems on a program whose help refers you to the competitors program when it fails... but you are forbidden from using it even though you own it, and will fail 1/3 of your fellow class-mates whom you will depend upon for your life and will eventually befriend... before they killed before your very eyes... but really nothing ill is meant by all this evil, it's just a natural evil used for the evolution of the species... if your part of the 1/3... just think your death will help the gene-pool! Have fun with differential equations you can't solve, and remember, even though I won't be able to convince you of it by the end of the class, if you failed at physics that does not mean you fail at being a human being and should lock yourself away in a prison someplace far far far away in your mind writing oddball things on the net because you have lost your life to the Bennenator. MWAH HAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

BWAH HA HA HA HA!!!! (Echo)

OOC: In case any one was wondering, the above rant was meant to sound absolutely silly. Congratulations to Esoteric! And thanks for all your wonderful entries everyone! PS, there is an actual Dr. Bennett, but leave him alone, he doesn't look anything like this. One more thing, SPS is the Society of Physics Students, a club I'm part of at ASU.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby USSRGirl » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:55 am

:lol: Looks like a skinny Dr. Eggman.
USSRGirl

Postby christianfriend » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:39 pm

That's what I thought, heh. ^-^ Nice drawing man! :thumb:
[font="Lucida Console"][align=center]“The [color="Magenta"]best[/color] kind of [color="Magenta"]friend[/color] is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.â€
christianfriend

Return to Art Contests