June Coloring Contest 06

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

June Coloring Contest 06

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed May 31, 2006 8:57 am

Well, I've been granted the opportunity to continue the coloring contest during the summer months. Whoo! ^^

This month's artwork has been generously provided by Vernhal. The rules are the same as ever: you may use any medium, interpret the picture however you want to and creativity is encouraged, as long as the line art is still more or less recognizable in the final piece. But this time around, there will be two different categories for winners:

"Best technical submission" for best overall coloring.

and

"Most creative submission" for the most original and creative interpretation of the artwork.

The deadline is June 25th at midnight, which I believe is a Sunday. Good luck! ^_^

(I would be much obliged if a mod would move this to the contest forum. Thankee!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the_lizardqueen

Postby Linksquest » Wed May 31, 2006 10:02 am

WHOOT! CONGRATs, THE LQ, for being awesome enough to do the coloring contest this time around! ^_^

I really like the line art, but my lackage of good computer graphics programs still taunts me. I may try this, though. *Looks at line art suspiciously* Time... will... tell...
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed May 31, 2006 11:05 am

Oo! Yes! I do hope that you'll enter Linksquest ^^

Also, I thought I should mention that the lineart is only appearing for logged in members as it is an attachment. Must..get..image hosting.

*goes back to attempting to hack her ancient Photobucket account*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed May 31, 2006 11:14 am

Meh, what the heck. I'm no master colorer [frankly, I'm terrible], but I'll give it a shot.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed May 31, 2006 1:30 pm

YAY perfect time to practice the gimp that I just got!! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby rii namuras » Wed May 31, 2006 2:22 pm

(The only reason you're not the great at coloring, Rai-sama, is because you haven't done it that much. ::poke poke:: I suppose 'twas a good idea to teach you how to CG during the FL Open, hmm?)

(I'll give it a shot, though I may not finish in time, because of life will be crazy next week.)
rii namuras

Postby Esoteric » Wed May 31, 2006 5:34 pm

All right, yes, lots of interested people. Go for it guys! Let's have a big turnout this time around. The are hundreds of possible interpretations for this one, I wanna see some neat backgrounds!
Esoteric

Postby White Raven » Wed May 31, 2006 6:48 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:Well, I've been granted the opportunity to continue the coloring contest during the summer months. Whoo! ^^

This month's artwork has been generously provided by Vernhal. The rules are the same as ever: you may use any medium, interpret the picture however you want to and creativity is encouraged, as long as the line art is still more or less recognizable in the final piece. But this time around, there will be two different categories for winners:

"Best technical submission" for best overall coloring.

and

"Most creative submission" for the most original and creative interpretation of the artwork.

The deadline is June 25th at midnight, which I believe is a Sunday. Good luck! ^_^

(I would be much obliged if a mod would move this to the contest forum. Thankee!)

Yeah!
*saves*
I think your idea for the "Most creative submission" and "Best technical submission" is wonderful.

I think I might start working on mine tonight.

Lots of hugs, :hug: Tammi.
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed May 31, 2006 7:49 pm

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a huge response, and so quickly too. Awesome! *giddy*
White Raven wrote:I think your idea for the "Most creative submission" and "Best technical submission" is wonderful.

I think I might start working on mine tonight.

Yay! I'm so glad to see that you're entering ^^

As for the categories for winners, I must give credit where credit is due ^^;

*nudges Esoteric*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

the_lizardqueen

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:42 am

well.. Im halfway done with mine......

RAGH I cant think of a BG..

Most likely hes gonna be swimming in mine though~

thanks to everyone who commented on teh lineart!~

oh and if you wanna see mine so far you can go here-

http://www.sheezyart.com/view/772619/
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:05 pm

Hmmm...I think I'll try it out this time! This looks like it'll be fun to color! :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:57 pm

Question. How do you upload the picture to your computer so that you may begin to color it? I am new with computers, so go easy on me.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:02 pm

Phantom_Sorano wrote:Question. How do you upload the picture to your computer so that you may begin to color it? I am new with computers, so go easy on me.

Oh okay just click on the thumbnail od the picture to open it in a new link! then right click on it and click save to computer
Hope that helps!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:20 pm

...oh, I'll try that in a few hours...I need to get some sleep now. Thanks.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:47 am

Oo, the coloring in your version is looking absolutely lovely Vernhal! It's so soft and real looking, I love the muted tones and the way that you shaded the hair. I'm looking foward to seeing what you'll do with the background ^^

Yay for Radical Dreamer entering! And welcome to the contest Phantom Sorano, feel free to PM me or post here if you have any questions or need help with anything. I know in the past people have also entered by printing the line art, coloring it with traditional tools (pencil crayons, toothpaste-) and then scanning the finished piece. It's always an option instead of digital coloring, although the coloring contests can be an excellent way of learning new tricks and skills when it comes to Photoshop and other programs.

Hmm, I wonder if Scribs is going to enter this month. *misses the CAA's resident Surrealist*

the_lizardqueen

Postby Esoteric » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:57 am

the_lizardqueen wrote:I know in the past people have also entered by printing the line art, coloring it with traditional tools (pencil crayons, toothpaste-) and then scanning the finished piece.

Oh, so you remember the toothpaste?

:dance:
Esoteric

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:25 am

Esoteric wrote:Oh, so you remember the toothpaste?

How could I ever forget the toothpaste? :grin:

Hehe. It's like white gouache, but minty! ^^

the_lizardqueen

Postby Esoteric » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:58 am

the_lizardqueen wrote:How could I ever forget the toothpaste? :grin:

Well that settles it. Next time I'm gonna have to do a picture using only toothpaste, food coloring, and maybe some watercolors. That's gonna be hard...and messy.

:thumb:
Esoteric

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:49 am

Shao Feng-Li

Postby meboeck » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:49 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:How could I ever forget the toothpaste? :grin:

LOL! I remember that too! Despite the fact that I only ever actually entered once, I have still been lurking around the thread a lot. I would do an entry with colored pencils, but I have a really bad scanned and I have absolutely no ideas for what I would do with this picture. But don't be surprised if I randomly return to the group of colo[u]ring buddies at some point.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby the_lizardqueen » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:03 pm

That's so awesomely psychedelic Shao :thumb:

I love the shades of green and blue that you used and the hair is so shiny. The flat graphic shapes are working really nicely and I really like the contrast between the more realistic skin tone/shading and all of the vivid blues and greens. Very cool! ^^
meboeck wrote:Despite the fact that I only ever actually entered once, I have still been lurking around the thread a lot. I would do an entry with colored pencils, but I have a really bad scanner and I have absolutely no ideas for what I would do with this picture. But don't be surprised if I randomly return to the group of colo[u]ring buddies at some point.

Coolness! It's nice to know that you're still keeping an eye on the goings on in the coloring contest threads. And you are most definitely welcome to come back to the colo[u]ring buddies club anytime :grin:

the_lizardqueen

Postby White Raven » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:35 pm

I think I'm going crazy trying to get this picture perfect. :dizzy: :hits_self

A big thank you to Vernhal you did a good job on the line art.

My Deviant Art

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby Esoteric » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:27 pm

Very cool Shao. I was tempted to do some body art designs as well, but now I'm glad I didn't. Yours is cool!

White Raven wrote:I think I'm going crazy trying to get this picture perfect.

I used to have that problem...but now with so little time, I tend to just stamp things out real quick and they never turn out quite as I planned. But i think this came out okay. I took my approach based on the name of the picture (realistic elf). The background is a tripped-out version of a photo I took on my last vacation.

Hey, Meboeck, yeah enter again sometime. We can both do toothpaste entries . ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esoteric

Postby White Raven » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:24 pm

Ohhhh nice entries, SFL, and Esotaric.

SFL, yours would look so awesome printed on a black t-shirt.

And Esotaric, Yours looks like it just came out of LOTR.

Very good job guys.

I think I will sit on mine for a bit. And make sure I like it the way it is.

My Deviant Art

White Raven

Postby the_lizardqueen » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:12 pm

Yeegads I'm not the only one sticking him in a forest!

*grabs mind-reading-proof tinfoil hat before any other ideas leak out* ;)

Kidding, kidding ^^ I may be doing a forest too but it's really different from what you've done (for better or for worse)

That atmosphere in your version is incredible Eso. It's just so pretty with the backlighting (especially on the hair), shading, textures and crazy transparencies with the shirt. How did you do that shirt? O.O

The eyes look so lovely too, overall there's a very nice sense of realism and drama ^^

the_lizardqueen

Postby White Raven » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:27 pm

Well I guess I’m going to bite the bullet and post mine.

Let me know what you all think.

I’m not for sure if he is king of the ocean or just a water sprite.

Anyway I worked very hard on him.

My Deviant Art

White Raven

Postby Esoteric » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:25 pm

A red eyed sea monster?! Whoa, now I'm afraid to go near the water! :lol:

The conche for his ear is super creative, as well as the fish in his hair. Beautiful cloud work, and the root-like patterns on his skin are very cool. *stares at red eyes* But I uh, sure wouldn't want to meet him!

How did you do that shirt? O.O

Yes...well everyone knows that forest elves use radioactive isotopes to make their clothing glow...

Actually, I drew the outlines in Illustrator, pasted them in photoshop, colored them white, made multiple copies, blured a few, added some transparent blue fabric, and airbrushed alittle for a halo effect. Hmm, radioactive isotopes sounded better, huh?
Esoteric

Postby White Raven » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:59 pm

Esoteric wrote:A red eyed sea monster?! Whoa, now I'm afraid to go near the water! :lol:

The conche for his ear is super creative, as well as the fish in his hair. Beautiful cloud work, and the root-like patterns on his skin are very cool. *stares at red eyes* But I uh, sure wouldn't want to meet him!

I think your just predigest against red eyed sea creatures. :cool:

He looks completely innocent to me. :angel:
Of course, I have a feeling, that if he smiled, he would have a mouth full of razor sharp teeth. :brow:

Anyway thanks for the compliments. :thumb:

My Deviant Art

White Raven

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:48 pm

WAHH these are so awesome! I love them!

Shao-

Awesome the colors are so cool! and I love the pattern on his skin!

Eso-

Lovely! everthing is awesome! And I love his shirt!

White Raven-

Amazing! this is just so cool! I just love everything about it! and his hair is so awesome!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby White Raven » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:55 pm

Vernhal wrote:WAHH these are so awesome! I love them!

Shao-

Awesome the colors are so cool! and I love the pattern on his skin!

Eso-

Lovely! everthing is awesome! And I love his shirt!

White Raven-

Amazing! this is just so cool! I just love everything about it! and his hair is so awesome!

Thanks so much Vernhal!:hug:
I want to print him out and hang him in my bathroom (if that’s ok with you)
My bathroom is done in a seaside, and lighthouse motif, so I think he would fit in very well. :dance:

My Deviant Art

White Raven

Next

Return to Art Contests