september coloring contest

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

Postby rii namuras » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:39 pm

(I can't start right now, but I'll definately be working on it.)

( ::saves file:: )
rii namuras

Postby Photosoph » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:57 pm

Yes! :jump: Another colouring buddie! *Waves to Ree* Welcome to the September Colouring Contest!

Very cool, Kyo; the cell shading looks cool and the bright red hair with that beautiful shade of blue makes for a very striking character. Great entry!
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby SailorDove » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:57 pm

My Goodness!!! There's 3 more pages since I posted last. I'm not alone!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem, (regains composer, well as much as one can when caffeinenated)

Mechana2015,
Thanks for the tip!!! Gonna be doing that from now on. Bookmarked it for reference offline, since my memory is, uh what was I saying....

Oh well, usually referance a previous project for skin tone, etc, but didn't this time, But found a nice close up of Misato to use in the future. Ms. Irish Nut, (me), didn't know the runes were celtic! (slaps own hand)

Photosoph Said: Sailor Dove: Very cool shinies in her eyes! Excellent cell-shading too, especialy on the skin; I love the smoothness you've given it. Great colours, too; the hair really stand out against the darker background and goes very well with the green and white.

Thank you very much Photosoph, I've kinda got a thing for the Irish green & well red hair. Figured blue would be a good color backgound to make her pop out.

Black Rose Misao: Ah yes, coloring pencils are my favorite tools for shading. Really like your Red, White & Blue and Purple too.

Vernhal Said: Well with School starting and all I have not been able to check this thread very much and alot has Happened..

Sailor dove i'm sorry i totally missed the second part of your post about using the lineart for one of you chars.. I dont Quite understand what you mean by that but i don't mind if you try to make your character look like her because i will be done with this specific design after the contest...

No worries. Its for a fanfic character based on Sailor Moon, (yeah its my id too). So its just for fun, been needing to make a civilian pic of her & none of the 50+ SM coloring pages I have seemed to work. But your lineart has a nice emotional & spiritual feel that would be perfect. Since she's really a christian version of SM.

If anyone would like to know more about "Sailor Dove", (hint, hint). Check out my "Whispered in the Wind" writing thread in the weeks to come for info & fanfic. Probably be faster if anyone nags.. ur I mean pm's me wanting details. ;)

Kyo83: Now that's a creative background! And like the hues in her eyes, plus your color choices for her, (especially her hair ;) ) Nice touch w/ the chinese characters too.)

Welcome Ree, Love your Avatar!
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby Hephzibah » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:48 am

Here's my entry... took me awhile, but o well. When I originally coloured it, the coat was red; that is until I realised it looked Christmasy XD So instead I decided to go the other extreem of completely green! Anyway... I hope you like it. It's not as good as the other ones I've seen here but might as well submit it as not ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hephzibah

Postby meboeck » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:46 am

I love the eyes Talame! They're my favorite part of the picture! I don't know if I will ever get mine done, but I can still hope.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:25 am

Wow Talame I love the greens.. And those eyes.. Wow such pretty eyes LOL!

Nice entry to Kyo! Lots of mood!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Esoteric » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:01 am

<cue Jaws music: da-dum, da-dum... Esoteric lurks in thread. Surfaces! Disappears back into the depths.> :lol:

Um, hi guys, yeah I have been watching the thread. But I've also been beyond busy. I haven't touched this in weeks and will not have time to again before the contest is over. But this is how far I got anyway.... sorry I couldn't finish it. I'll probably have to sit next month out too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esoteric

Postby rii namuras » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:37 am

( ::waves to Photosoph:: )

(My entry is done. It feels nice to CG someone else's lineart for a change...)

(And Esteric, I love your entry. It is just awesome.)
rii namuras

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:34 pm

Here be mine...I tried a different coloring method this time. I'm not really happy with it but it's the best I can do.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Spector » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:38 pm

Oh, me likey. Very well done, they all are.
My MySpace . My SSBB FC is: 5455 9081 3057 PM me yours! ;)

Image Ace Attorney fan.
Spector

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:55 pm

Oh wow so many New entrys...Again.. Wow

Esoteric- Yours is very original and awesome! Me likies alot!

Ree Namuras- Those eyes are lovely! And I love all the reds you used!

Shiroi Hikari- I really like this one! Its has a very simple cel shaded look!

And now here is mine. When I originally did this drawing I was gonna have her be praying in a church or something but I thought that would prolly be a common theme so I decided shes a fire ice person praying... or maybe casting a spell.... yay thats why she has all the blue and orange!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby meboeck » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:19 pm

Eso: Wow! That's really awesome! If you had had more time, it would have insanely amazing.

Ree: I love the deep red! Cool effect.

SH: That's really unique! I like how it's so geometric.

[/color]
meboeck

Postby Photosoph » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:57 pm

Talame: Wow... that looks so cool! Yeah, red and green have been forever ruined for me by Christmas. Seriously, I can't seen to put them together without thinking of that holiday.
I liked what you've done with your pic; the eyes and textures are really cool and I like the background too. ^_^

Esoteric: even unfinished that looks so cool! I especially love the effect you've got on her clothes; it just looks so cool! I especially love the colour scheme you've used. The fiery effects seem to really emphasise the colours too.

Ree Namuras: *Waves back.* ^_^ The tones of red and brown you've used look so good together -especially with the skin colour. Your pic looks very clean as well, and I love the way you've done your shading. Well done! Hope you enjoyed doing it too; and I hope you'll enter in many more of these contests as well. :)

ShiroiHikari: Cool entry -and yes, another cell shader! :jump: The shading method you've used on the hair is very cool, especially on the hair on the back; it really gives it cool texture. The tone of red/pink you've used is really great too.

Vernhal: Sweet! Another entry from you! It's so cool to have you as a regular entrant. ^_^ Those soft shades of blue and pink are beautiful, and like that effect. Was it a 'wind' filter? I love the orange eyes too, and the double flares is a cool idea.

Depending on how much time I get, mine might be sort of rushed. Then again I might be able to find more time than I expect. Either way... I need to get onto my entry! *Scurries off.*
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby olorc » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:46 pm

this is gunna be the best month ever!!
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Scribs » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:47 pm

this is gunna be the best month ever!!

Darn Right Olorc, and it just got better!

I present to you, my september entry:
I dont know what she is contemplating, but she sure needs to improve her hygene.

"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:49 pm

...what in the world is coming out of her forehead?! O_o lol
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Photosoph » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:12 pm

I have to say that this has to be one of your best entries yet, Scribs! I love all the random things, especially the eyes. And that's one excellent evil grin. :evil: :grin:

*Sigh.* Don't think I'll get an entry in this time. There's a chance I might be able to, but it's slim. *Shrugs.* I really liked this month's linework too. But at least I get to see all the amazing entries that other people have done. ^_^

<Edit>D'oh! Sorry; I'm still getting used to 'Scribs'. ^_^" It's a cool new name, btw.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Scribs » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:15 pm

...what in the world is coming out of her forehead?! O_o lol

that would be a grub :thumb:
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:26 am

Eww...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Scribs » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:19 pm

The owner of those eyes, aka my roomate ben, wants it to be made known that they are upside down.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby meboeck » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:57 pm

Photosoph wrote:I have to say that this has to be one of your best entries yet, Scribs! I love all the random things, especially the eyes. And that's one excellent evil grin. :evil: :grin:

I agree! I like the evil sun too!

[/color]
meboeck

Postby olorc » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:07 pm

Piloswine (i refuse to adhere to calling you by your new name!), you really bring a whole new angle to this contest.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Scribs » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:55 pm

Well, tomorrow is the deadline, so I guess we must all sit around here and await the judgement of Olorc.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby White Raven » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:17 pm

So many new faces this month.
Sorry I have not been keeping up. I have been so busy.

Anyway they all look so cool.
Well no offence, but Piloswine, yours scared me. But that’s ok I know you was just goofing off.

So one day left. Good luck to everyone. :dance:
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby Scribs » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:42 pm

What dost thou mean goofing off? Tis is a true piece of art! A pox upon you and your line! *storms off*
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby White Raven » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:35 pm

Scribs wrote:What dost thou mean goofing off? Tis is a true piece of art! A pox upon you and your line! *storms off*

Forgive my stupidity, oh grand artist. I bow down to you, I’m not worthy!! :bang:

I hope, you was trying for funny, with your pic. :(

My Deviant Art

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby Scribs » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:58 pm

Dont be sad! Be Glad! Art like this it to be enjoyed! BTW, your pic was really great.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby White Raven » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:33 pm

Scribs wrote:Dont be sad! Be Glad! Art like this it to be enjoyed! BTW, your pic was really great.

Thank you.
But I must say your picture did make me laugh.

My Deviant Art

White Raven

Postby Scribs » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:36 pm

I am glad to hear that.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:45 am

Sorry that I haven't popped in before this, everyone. I haven't been on CAA for quite a while due to a lot of stuff going on... thankfully which has eased off a little now.

But I come back - right on the day before the entries are due! Well, I'm glad I actually managed to get an entry in. ^_^ Here's hoping it attaches properly. Sorry its so late, all.

And of I have to comment on all the other entries so far. This could take a wee while, but at least it'll kill time while my entry uploads. Just scroll down to recieve your one-of-a-kind comment! :) But first of all, kudos to Vernhal for the linework. The picture was lovely and a lot of fun to colour.

Shao: Very cool pic. I especially like the clothing textures ( :wow!: ). They work well. The other thing I really loved was your use of highlights and variation in tone in the hair and eyes: the result was really cool.

LArt: Background background background background! The overhead lighting and blurring of the linework blended everything in together nicely. The rosary (sp?) was a nice touch, too.

Dove: Very nice colour combinations. The green, white and orange look very nice together and stand out well from the background, giving the girl nice emphasis. Nice job on the shading, especially on the hair running behind her neck, too.

Zelda: Nice entry. The brown hair works well with the green eyes against her skin. The shading on the hair gives it a nice sense of ---what's the opposite of depth? Gah, I can't find a word that fits. Something describing how it comes forward instead of going back... prominence, perhaps?? :)

Mechana: Background boxes and runes of amazement! I like the purples. It's my favourite colour but back on topic... I also like the rays of light coming out and the texture you've got there. Nice texture and pattern on the clothing, too. Oh, and thanks be to the tip on the linework. I hadn't thought of doing it that way before. It was all the mode>grayscale selecting the black linework... sort of thing for me before. Your method has made things a lot easier for me with colouring linework now. Thanks!

Black Rose Misao: Finally! An entry in physical media! I like the swirly designs you've added all around - especially your additions to the collar of the clothes. Good colour choice and media use. :thumb:

Kyo: The addition of the characters for Jesus were a nice touch. I also liked the palette you used. I don't usually see works with those colours together but its definitely inspired me to use some different shades than what I'm used to in the future because of the way they've worked so well in your picture. Nice stark shadows, too.

Talame: Green green green green! Aside from all the green, I also like the liquidity of the eyes and the texture on the clothing. The tinted ...photo, I'm guessing?... in the background is nice, too, and I really, really like your clouds. They look like those fast-frames you see on TV where storm clouds form, twist and bloom at high speed.

Eso: UNFINISHED?!?! :wow!: I don't know how you managed to get that effect in the colour that runs through the whole picture, but it is awesome. It gives the sense of there being more than what is shown in the picture, if that makes sense. The firey eyes are excellent, too.

Ree Namuras: Very nice shading. Your use of different tones - like the purple on the skin - to shade with give a really nice look and I like the technique. I also hope you don't mind if I give it a go sometime. :) The eyes are beautifully soft, and the black fade in from the edges of the picture give it an... is 'intimate' the right word?.. atmosphere.

So... many... entries..!!

ShiroiHikari: Very cool cell shading, especially on the clothes and hair. It gives a nice contrast to the soft background, and I really love how it is done on the hair - especially in the part of the hair behind the neck. I'm guessing that is part of the reason the hair looks so wonderfully rich and glossy. :thumb:

Vernhal: Wow - the pastels work really well. The orange eyes look really cool, and for some reason I can't figure out the orange shading looks awesome against the blue hair. How does that work?! The blue and orange flares are also very cool.

Piloswine/Scribs: Woo! It's good to have you back again and its always a pleasure to see your entries. I look forward to them every round. ^_^ . Just awesome, flippin' awesome. I love the sun and the grub. The evil smile :evil: is excellent, too.

Woo! I'm done! Lets hope all these words can get into one post!

<<EDIT>> Huzzah! It did!
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Previous Next

Return to Art Contests