how do you choose people to be mods?

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

how do you choose people to be mods?

Postby rocklobster » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:55 pm

I was wondering just what do you consider when it comes time to recruit someone as a mod?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:54 pm

I believe there's a test of ingenuity involving a locked room, a cheese wheel, a pack of robot hyenas, and the reanimated corpse of Abraham Lincoln. This assures us that every moderator has top-notch problem solving skills.

There's a physical test involving fleeing from the pack of robot hyenas through a recreation of a Ninja Warrior obstacle course, while fighting off a localized zombie apocalypse. This guarantees that every moderator is an extraordinary physical specimen, and has the skills and deadliness required to keep the forum safe.

Finally, there's a test of spirit. They're not really allowed to give too much detail on what is involved, but it apparently requires them to pray for, and receive, at least three genuine miracles. It also counts toward canonization as a saint. This test ensures that moderators are able to provide the best spiritual governance of day-to-day activities here on CAA.

...or at least, that's what I've heard.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Midori » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Kaligraphic (post: 1494914) wrote:I believe there's a test of ingenuity involving a locked room, a cheese wheel, a pack of robot hyenas, and the reanimated corpse of Abraham Lincoln. This assures us that every moderator has top-notch problem solving skills.

There's a physical test involving fleeing from the pack of robot hyenas through a recreation of a Ninja Warrior obstacle course, while fighting off a localized zombie apocalypse. This guarantees that every moderator is an extraordinary physical specimen, and has the skills and deadliness required to keep the forum safe.

Finally, there's a test of spirit. They're not really allowed to give too much detail on what is involved, but it apparently requires them to pray for, and receive, at least three genuine miracles. It also counts toward canonization as a saint. This test ensures that moderators are able to provide the best spiritual governance of day-to-day activities here on CAA.

Oh crap, I didn't hear about any of this. I'd better watch out! >_<
Midori

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Kaligraphic (post: 1494914) wrote:I believe there's a test of ingenuity involving a locked room, a cheese wheel, a pack of robot hyenas, and the reanimated corpse of Abraham Lincoln. This assures us that every moderator has top-notch problem solving skills.

Yeah, that's more or less how I remember things going down. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:39 pm

You guys are hilarious. But Comment Box != Goof Off. I'm curious to know the answer to Rock's Q myself.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:43 pm

You won't have to look much farther than CAA's FAQ:

Can I be a mod?

Moderators are chosen by the staff when the workload becomes too heavy for the current group. These are chosen from the members without any kind of request process.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Go figure. Buried in the faqs
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:26 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1494950) wrote:Go figure. Buried in the faqs
If you want to ensure people never read something, always include it in the Frequently Asked Questions section.
Fish and Chips

Postby rocklobster » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:49 pm

I guess I should rephrase. What I really want to know is how you know a certain person would or would not be a good mod.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Xeno » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Mith rolls a d20.

Seriously thought it probably is the same decision making that goes into picking mods on another other forum or chat room or whatever. You examine people's apparently moral fortitude, posting habits, etc. and you make a decision based on that. It's not an overly complicated process. A pretty constant rule though is that if you ask you be a mod, you're guaranteed that you'll never be one.
Xeno

Postby rocklobster » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:09 pm

For the record, I'm not asking to be a mod.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby goldenspines » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:36 pm

rocklobster (post: 1495103) wrote:I guess I should rephrase. What I really want to know is how you know a certain person would or would not be a good mod.
Please refer to Kaligraphic's post.

It involves much prayer. Much much prayer.
goldenspines

Postby Okami » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:47 pm

Xeno (post: 1495104) wrote:A pretty constant rule though is that if you ask you be a mod, you're guaranteed that you'll never be one.

Heh. That's actually sort of inaccurate...or at least more of a board-by-board case. Where I have now been a moderator for over a year the first bits of getting my name out there to the higher ups, the team leader and the head moderator, was by asking how one gets selected as a moderator. I had a moderator friend who explained to me the basics of the process [SIZE="1"](from there I first had a good word put in for me by said friend, months later was asked if I would like the opportunity to moderate, and upon saying yes, had to go through an interviewing process, alongside my good track record on the forum, etc. The four month wait seeing it through from beginning to end was extremely worth it!)[/SIZE] so when things aren't known or aren't clear, absolutely it's a good idea to ask for clarity. :) It doesn't mean you're in or out. If you want something strong enough, you'll prove yourself worthy and do what you can do politely and respectfully, as I see it. :thumb:
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:00 pm

They pull your name out of a hat . . . throw it away, and repeat until they pull the name they want.

rocklobster wrote:For the record, I'm not asking to be a mod.

No one's saying you are, but asking a question like that gives a pretty strong implication. Kinda like "Are you gonna eat that?"
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Xeno » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:01 pm

Okami (post: 1495117) wrote:Heh. That's actually sort of inaccurate...or at least more of a board-by-board case. Where I have now been a moderator for over a year the first bits of getting my name out there to the higher ups, the team leader and the head moderator, was by asking how one gets selected as a moderator. I had a moderator friend who explained to me the basics of the process [SIZE="1"](from there I first had a good word put in for me by said friend, months later was asked if I would like the opportunity to moderate, and upon saying yes, had to go through an interviewing process, alongside my good track record on the forum, etc. The four month wait seeing it through from beginning to end was extremely worth it!)[/SIZE] so when things aren't known or aren't clear, absolutely it's a good idea to ask for clarity. :) It doesn't mean you're in or out. If you want something strong enough, you'll prove yourself worthy and do what you can do politely and respectfully, as I see it. :thumb:

I believe there was a slight misunderstanding. I wasn't implying that Rock was asking to be one. What I was saying that if someone posts "Hey, can I be a moderator?" in most cases that I've ever come across the answer is infinitely no. Asking how one becomes a moderator isn't asking to become one, I guess I should have stated that I recognized the difference between those two originally.
Xeno

Postby Okami » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:07 pm

Xeno (post: 1495123) wrote:I believe there was a slight misunderstanding. I wasn't implying that Rock was asking to be one. What I was saying that if someone posts "Hey, can I be a moderator?" in most cases that I've ever come across the answer is infinitely no. Asking how one becomes a moderator isn't asking to become one, I guess I should have stated that I recognized the difference between those two originally.

I wasn't implying that Rock was asking to be one or that you were implying it, either. Just stating that I know firsthand that the case isn't necessarily a "Well you asked about what goes into being a mod-" (or whatever) "-so that means that absolutely you cannot become a mod." More that asking is the healthy thing to do when you don't know - because often there are others wondering the same, but too afraid to raise their hand to ask the question. (In relating it to the typical classroom scenario, that is)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Nate » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Htom Sirveaux wrote:No one's saying you are, but asking a question like that gives a pretty strong implication. Kinda like "Are you gonna eat that?"

Or "You've got a pretty nice place here...it'd be a shame if something happened to it, eh?"

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Nate (post: 1495134) wrote:Or "You've got a pretty nice place here...it'd be a shame if something happened to it, eh?"

NO, not Ponies R Us forums, I'll do anything

*makes Nate Mod*
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby shooraijin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:43 am

So, anyway, we use a dartboard. People who don't get one in the face go into the ballot box.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Furen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Be wary, most of the mod's are sharp shooters XD
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ADXC » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1495120) wrote:They pull your name out of a hat . . . throw it away, and repeat until they pull the name they want.

Pretty much. XDD

Also about the asking to be a mod thing, that isn't true. I once became a mod on a forum before BECAUSE I asked, but then again the forum was just starting out so I guess anybody else could have gotten it.

Eh, I don't like mod responsibilities- too much work. Anyway, I'd rather be a lazy layman who lollygags around while licking a lemon lollipop in Lillehammer. (Try to say that five times fast.)
ADXC

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Like ADXC, I've been a moderator for another site or two and its a ton of work and responsibility. I'm sure however our mods are chosen, it is done the best way for the greatest outcome because this site has never produced a bad moderator. :) I'm glad we have such a great staff to keep everything moving, so I can just enjoy the site and the other members' company.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Nate wrote:Or "You've got a pretty nice place here...it'd be a shame if something happened to it, eh?"

*opens a jar, drops the lid on the floor* Oops! How clumsy of me!
Look, either you make me a moderator or a lot more lids are gonna come unscrewed.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Furen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:09 pm

ADXC (post: 1495296) wrote:Eh, I don't like mod responsibilities- too much work. Anyway, I'd rather be a lazy layman who lollygags around while licking a lemon lollipop in Lillehammer. (Try to say that five times fast.)

Though there are many people here who pretty much live here, so I'm sure they wouldn't be against becoming one.

Though no sense worrying about anything and making a big deal of it when you can be carefree (except rules) and have fun.
Furen

Postby ADXC » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:51 pm

No, no except rules! PARTAY! XDDD

jk or am I? 0.o

I used to live on here, but then I went to college. XD I barely have time for CAA when I go there.

Anyway, as it seems the mods are doing great so far so I seriously doubt they have need of any more mods for a while.
ADXC

Postby Arya Raiin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:34 pm

shooraijin (post: 1495185) wrote:So, anyway, we use a dartboard. People who don't get one in the face go into the ballot box.

Ooh fun! :hits_self
Arya Raiin

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:27 pm

I guess I should actually answer this one, now that everyone has stalled for me. XD Other than the one in the FAQ, I mean.

When it looks like the board might soon need new mods, I spend a lot of time lurking and praying. The big things I'm looking for are people who are Christians, into anime or manga, show they value the board as a community, are thick-skinned, tactful, and level-headed. If that doesn't narrow the field down enough, I look for people who have a history with the board, passion for their beliefs, a tendency toward peace-making, and evidence of the fruit of the spirit.

That pretty much sums up what *I* look for in a mod. :thumb:
Mithrandir

Return to Announcements and Feedback