Bandwidth Blues

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Bandwidth Blues

Postby Ashley » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:16 pm

Hey everyone--good news and bad news time.

The good news--we're growing out our ears still! Over a 1100 members and more coming every day. And we've recently expanded our discussion areas farther than we ever dreamed possible. This is exciting news, to be sure, and trust me when I say these forums have already exceeded my highest expectations.

The bad news--our bandwidth is being consumed so fast we can barely keep up. There is a good chance we may experience some down days at the end of this month and every month thereafter. The staff has been praying about/looking into some higher level servers (and ones that will let us do all sorts of fun stuff, half of which I can't understand but SL is excited about it so that's a good sign); the problem is money and time. Of course we trust the Lord will provide for all our needs and we will work this bandwidth thing out. I just wanted to speak to you guys publically and let you know what was going on, especially so rumors about hackers attacking or trolls taking over don't scare everyone.

So in short, while growing's a blessing, we're feeling some pain along with it. I do ask that everyone please pray for us and our staff when they get a chance, and that the Lord would work His will through us concerning this matter soon. Thanks.
Ashley

Postby YesIExist » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:25 pm

*prays*
Down days at the end of every month? Why? Backing up?
Idle hands are indeed the devil's playground. -_- :bang:
YesIExist

Postby Saint Kevin » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:50 pm

I will pray. I will even curb my needless bandwidth usage if I can think of any. Guess the last days of my months might be on the GRG. :)
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby inkhana » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:02 pm

>Down days at the end of every month? Why? Backing up?

Down, I suppose, because CAA's webhost currently only allots so many gigabytes a month of transfer, and at the beginning of each month, the counter is reset. If you go over your allotment before the end of the month, your account ceases to function until the next month...:/

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby YesIExist » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:07 pm

I see. Darn.
YesIExist

Postby blueraven » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:24 am

I'm not sure what there is that I could do, but if there is anything I could do to help let me know. If there is something I can do I'd be more then happy to help out.
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby Straylight » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:16 am

*tweak*... just changed a major setting in the control panel that seems to be the cause of the problem. Are the pages loading faster now for you guys? Particularly with regards to the "default" skin?
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:38 am

It does seem faster now.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby inkhana » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:44 am

It didn't to me, but since I just switched into lite mode, I'm not totally sure. I didn't use lite mode until today.

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:44 pm

Yup, it's definitely running a lot faster over here! :thumb:
Link Antilles

We will pray!

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:09 pm

[quote="Ashley"]Hey everyone--good news and bad news time.

The good news--we're growing out our ears still! Over a 1100 members and more coming every day. And we've recently expanded our discussion areas farther than we ever dreamed possible. This is exciting news, to be sure, and trust me when I say these forums have already exceeded my highest expectations.

The bad news--our bandwidth is being consumed so fast we can barely keep up. There is a good chance we may experience some down days at the end of this month and every month thereafter. The staff has been praying about/looking into some higher level servers (and ones that will let us do all sorts of fun stuff, half of which I can't understand but SL is excited about it so that's a good sign)]

I do not know what I can do...and I don't have anything to contribute...but I will pray. I will pray you recieve both the money and the time to do what you must. hmm...I will pray, and see if I can think of any good ideas...
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby inkhana » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:32 pm

Hey SL...now that I've kinda gotten used to it, I like the Lite skin a whole lot...it loads TONS faster (although it does lack the eye candy...-_-;; Oh well, can't have it all). There's only one thing I've noticed about it. On the other skin, when you enter a thread (and/or make a post) the name of the thread is dimmed and the "last post" arrow disappears when you return to the search page, right? This skin doesn't seem to do it. I guess it could also be related to some of the tweaks you made recently (dunno enough about it to say anything intelligent). It really doesn't make any difference in the long run, I guess, but I thought you might not have noticed it yet.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:28 pm

I'm finding that I have to hit the Refresh button a bit more often, but otherwise I don't really notice a difference. (We lite-speed cable users tend to be like that... speaking for myself, anyway.)
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby shooraijin » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:24 pm

Actually, Ink's issue is due to the caching as well (I noticed it also). If the no-cache header could be put back just on search results pages ...
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:25 am

I've been aware of this, of course... I guess I'll have to use the Lite skin at all times. A minor inconvenience, but no big deal.
uc pseudonym

Postby Saint Kevin » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:43 pm

I'm lost. To these skin/cache settings make a difference to the servers monthly bandwidth usage?
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby inkhana » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:51 pm

Mmmhmmm. If the skin has a lot of graphics, more of these have to be downloaded to complete the skin set on the user's side. If your browser/the site aren't set to cache, the browser must download these graphics every time, so instead of one graphic getting dled once, and saved, the page downloads it a lot, and taxes the server needlessly.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Saint Kevin » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:54 pm

Wow, that was a quick response, you're a midnight lurker too aren't you Ink? So do I go to my browser settings, or my user cp settings to change this?

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby inkhana » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:59 pm

Yeah, I'm a midnight lurker...LOL

You don't need to do anything, unless you want to switch to the lite skin. You do that under the User CP...once you get into the control panel, I believe you click options, then scroll down to the bottom...there will be a dropdown box with skin options. Just click on "CAA Lite" or something like that, to make the change...:) That's really about all you can do.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Saint Kevin » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:35 pm

I was thinking that the Internet Explorer options might have something to do with what caches and what doesn't, but I guess if all I can do is use the lite skin, I'll at least to that. Thanks.

OT: That lurking thing with the appearing offline and really being online, that bugs me. Maybe I'm the only one, but sometimes I will post something that I normally wouldn't if I see someone is online and I can expect a quick response.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby YesIExist » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:19 am

Yay for the lite skin!
YesIExist

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:51 pm

I knew it was c
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Return to Announcements and Feedback