[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
A couple questions about political discussions - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

A couple questions about political discussions

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

A couple questions about political discussions

Postby Peanut » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:01 pm

So I have been wondering about something for a few months now and I'm posting it here with the hope that a mod or mods can answer these two questions for me. My first question is, since the reasons why theological discussions were outlawed are similar to the reasons political discussions are outlawed, why are we still not allowed to discuss politics? I understand that one of the reasons listed is that politics have nothing to do with CAA or Anime and obviously theology is not affected by this. However I have a hard time seeing this as the main reason why it's outlawed since there are plenty of other threads that have nothing to do with either of those topics that are allowed to be posted. The main reason to me seems to be its divisive nature and this is where I'm having some confusion. I know from studying Church History that theology has been as divisive and destructive (if not more so) then politics over topics that range from important to not so important. Even today, there is still destructive division within Church's over various theological issues including some which we have already discussed (the thread on the Garden of Eden being the biggest example). So if we can talk about something as divisive as theology and have done so in a civil manner, then why can't we talk about something as divisive as politics?

My second question is what should we do if a topic of theological discussion happens to be somewhat political. For instance, if I brought up something like Liberation Theology in any thread that comes close to the topic, I wouldn't just be asserting something theological but also something political since that entire system of thought is tied heavily to Marxist thought and is very political. I could see this being brought up as well if not by me then by somebody else since Liberation Theology has been very influential in recent history. In fact, you could say the recent push for social justice within many denominations comes from Liberation Theology. So, would discussing something like this constitute crossing the line into political discussion and if so does that mean we can't talk about it?

I should note that I'm not pushing for a change in any of CAA's rules, I'm just a little curious about these things and any answer would be appreciated.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Here's the short answer:

This site is called "Christian Anime Alliance." Theology can be attached to one of these words. Politics on the other hand comes from the greek. Poli (meaning many) and ticks (meaning blood sucking insects.) So.... yeah. Prolly not at this time. XD
Mithrandir

Postby Peanut » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1438519) wrote:Here's the short answer:

This site is called "Christian Anime Alliance." Theology can be attached to one of these words. Politics on the other hand comes from the greek. Poli (meaning many) and ticks (meaning blood sucking insects.) So.... yeah. Prolly not at this time. XD

That does kind of answer one of my questions though what about theological issues which come close to politics?

Peanut

Postby Furen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1438519) wrote:Politics on the other hand comes from the greek. Poli (meaning many) and ticks (meaning blood sucking insects.) So.... yeah. Prolly not at this time. XD

XD so that's why they all suck, and tend to tick me off XD [/HorribleJokes]

thanks for that info for one, and thanks Peanut, I was kinda thinking about that too.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby shooraijin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Peanut (post: 1438522) wrote:That does kind of answer one of my questions though what about theological issues which come close to politics?

Case-by-case basis. If you're not sure about it, ask.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Peanut » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:02 pm

Ok, that makes sense.

Peanut

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:13 pm

I see where Peanut is coming from. I know for me, both my theology and politics blend very closely together. I cannot remove one from the other.

Granted politics may be more applicable, thus in a different realm? I dunno.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Midori » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:14 pm

As far as liberation theology goes...I'm not very learned on that subject but I would guess of my own that it's a subject I'd rather not have discussed, but there's no way to know ahead of time. You have to keep in mind the reasoning behind why we don't allow politics and why we previously didn't allow theology, which was to avoid fighting. Use your own judgement and prayer. If you think that it would be a good and edifying discussion, go ahead and make the thread. If you think it's likely to make others and yourself resent eachother more, avoid it.

See, part of the reason we've relaxed our restrictions on these topics is because we're realizing that no rigid, objective rules can properly map onto good human case-by-case decisions. On the other hand, there's only so many of us moderators, so we have to strike a balance between flexibility and patrolability. Just do what you think is best, and try to keep it from becoming a problem.
Midori

Postby armeck » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1438519) wrote: Politics on the other hand comes from the greek. Poli (meaning many) and ticks (meaning blood sucking insects.)

Furen (post: 1438526) wrote:XD so that's why they all suck, and tend to tick me off XD [/HorribleJokes]

those are awesome jokes!
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Furen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Why thank you ^^ glad to get a compliment
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Return to Announcements and Feedback