The Do Not Discuss Thread

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

The Do Not Discuss Thread

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:49 pm

I was wondering just how each of those titles got into Do Not Discuss. Can someone who's been here long enough to remember what led to that decision PM me with the reasoning behind it?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Rock I'm going to do something uncharacteristically Samaritan and link you a quote on this one.
Ashley wrote:PLEASE NOTE:
These titles are NOT what we consider to be anti-Christian. The purpose of this list is to keep the peace, not tell you which shows you should or shouldn't watch. These titles were selected because they have caused trouble in the past or are extremely likely to given the content.

The staff has decided it would be extremely beneficial for us to post which titles we'd prefer not be discussed. These titles are either highly controversial, extremely inappropriate, or both. We have noticed all discussions in the past on these titles has only erupted into tension, rude posts, etc., for the sake of keeping the peace, these are the titles we ask you discuss privately amongst yourselves via PM or off-site
I hope you can appreciate the digging I had to do to unearth this oft-overlooked explanation for the Do Not Discuss List.
Fish and Chips

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Well, I'm just curious about why they caused so much tension actually.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:21 pm

rocklobster (post: 1435481) wrote:Well, I'm just curious about why they caused so much tension actually.

As near as I can tell, most of them turned into heated debates over whether or not Christians "should" be watching them. If you are looking for specifics on each series, you can always use the search-engine/time-machine to look back into CAA's past threads on the series. I would recommend doing a "Search Titles Only" search for the anime's name.

I'm looking at some of these old threads, and it's actually pretty crazy how heated some of them got.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Midori » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:25 pm

Unfortunately, I think discussing why the titles are on the DnD list counts as discussing them...

I'll try to answer the question as best I can before closing this thread. Some of the titles are just plain too inappropriate to talk about. But some of them are just really controversial, such as Evangelion and Utena--some members of the board even like them, but the potential for their discussion to turn into fights vastly outmagnitudizes most other titles, so it's worth having them on the list. Sorry I can't go into details, but the rules are the rules.
Midori

Return to Announcements and Feedback