Review section ideas?

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Postby firestorm » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:41 pm

you said there would be rating sliders that kind of give the average of the reviews... So what will you guys do to stop people, let's say trolls, for coming in on mass, and messing with the sliders and screwing up the average? is there gonna be some type of setting for this? or post requirement? or something?
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:20 pm

I assume there'd be some kind of post count limit or something before you could do that stuff.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Midori » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Yeah, having a minimum post count requirement probably makes sense for that. It could be 25 like the chat, but it could also be larger.
rocklobster wrote:Just out of curiosity, how long would it take to set this up?
I'm not sure, but it won't come soon. Mith is going to be really busy with his day job for a few months, so we're not expecting anything before 2011 at the earliest. It's possible we'll combine the review section upgrade with a bunch of other site upgrades, in which case it'll take even longer (but be more worth it).
Midori

Postby firestorm » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:21 am

Midori (post: 1435324) wrote:Yeah, having a minimum post count requirement probably makes sense for that. It could be 25 like the chat, but it could also be larger.
I'm not sure, but it won't come soon. Mith is going to be really busy with his day job for a few months, so we're not expecting anything before 2011 at the earliest. It's possible we'll combine the review section upgrade with a bunch of other site upgrades, in which case it'll take even longer (but be more worth it).

well if there is gonna be quite a few things requiring post counts ( I say this cause the hopeful oekaki board will have one and also the chat has one) I'd say that I agree they should all be large enough to discourage trolls but small enough to not discourage people who want to be here to continue on.

Also I'd make it so its exciting to try and get them. You know like make them achievements like you see on an Xbox box game. like when you get enough posts to go into chat you'd see like, a gold star and then "You got the chatterbox achievement! You can now enter the Chat room! Yay You!"

... you know something like that gets the people not only excited about being able to participate in them but gets them excited about reaching the next one because of one's inherent drive to achieve :D what do you think?
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Maybe we could have two levels of review.
One being the big long in depth review, all verified by mods, with thorough descriptions of content and linked to a thread of people's personal reviews.

The other could be short reviews, preferably with the option for more than one on a single subject written by different people, short reviews with summaries of content and opinions, not necessarily certified by the mods, but providing a brief overview until a deeper review can be written. also this sort of review could be used for some of the more obscure series that are only watched/read by a few people.

I wold also like to see a review section added for web-manga and web-comic reviews, AnimeGirl has already started a thread for web manga reviews, but I would like to see this expanded to include web comics as well, because I haven't been able to find any sites that have good reviews for web manga/comics and I think that there some people on this site who read web manga/comics and might be willing to write a short review or two.

I don't know how much of a pain the two tier reviews would be to implement but I think they'd be neat, The web manga/comic thing should be easy I would think, but I don't really know that much about this sort of stuff.

...Just my two cents,
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:48 pm

The problem with webcomics is that many are still going, or are eternally ongoing. You'd only be able to reasonably write reviews for 'finished' webcomics, and I don't know if there are very many of those.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:05 am

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1437236) wrote:The problem with webcomics is that many are still going, or are eternally ongoing. You'd only be able to reasonably write reviews for 'finished' webcomics, and I don't know if there are very many of those.

I can only think of two: Ozy and Millie and Inverloch
Anyway, here's another question. Some of us, including myself, have sent in reviews that haven't been approved. Will you be putting those into this new system or just focusing on new stuff that's sent in? (in other words, will those reviews have to be rewritten and resubmitted?)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:50 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1437236) wrote:The problem with webcomics is that many are still going, or are eternally ongoing. You'd only be able to reasonably write reviews for 'finished' webcomics, and I don't know if there are very many of those.

I believe we currently have reviews of some manga that haven't ended yet (like Naruto). like theses manga most long running comics are pretty consistent in their content. I think ongoing webcomics would be kept in the short review category anyway with old reviews being pulled or edited after significant changes in the comic.

rocklobster (post: 1437363) wrote:I can only think of two: Ozy and Millie and Inverloch
Anyway, here's another question. Some of us, including myself, have sent in reviews that haven't been approved. Will you be putting those into this new system or just focusing on new stuff that's sent in? (in other words, will those reviews have to be rewritten and resubmitted?)

I think it would be reasonable for all reviews from members in good standing (i.e. not banned or currently on thin ice) to be posted as short/unverified reviews. Unless there are like thousands of them and posting them all would mess up the sever, then some culling of that stockpile would be reasonable.

Again, I don't really know anything about running a website so some opinion on the technical feasibility of theses ideas would be nice.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:17 pm

Mid's right; I'm a little too busy to get to this just yet. I'll let you guys know when I can finally come up for air.

Since no coding has begun yet, we're still in the information gathering phase. I'm sure we'll take some of these ideas into account as we further plan the upgrades. Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions!

- Mith
Mithrandir

Postby J.D3 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:55 am

I like Midori's initial suggestions on 1) Focusing more on content that relates to our site's aims, and 2) Having more participation in the review process from other members.

I also like rocklobster and blkmage's suggestions too, and (I don't know if this has already been suggested) woudln't mind having perhaps a small group of appropriate members approved by mods to go over and adjust reviews as needed before officially posting, and also (as some folks have suggested) include something like a link to thread specific to that post so that outside persons looking at that review can also see if members have anything else to add e.g. any details that may have been missed.
I've often noticed some things have been missed in some reviews I've read, that to me, seem kind of important to include.
J.D3

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:08 pm

I know I'm late on the train, but I've noticed that there should be more/different genre choices. There isn't a thing for slice-of-life or psychological, and Gothic really isn't a genre. So that makes it hard for me to pick which genres to put an anime or manga under.

Yeah, I know this has nothing to do with the big questions, but I feel the need to say it anyway.

As for the big questions, 1) I'd like both. Content is important, but content can't tell you overall when a story is good. For instance, a good number of members have watched Baccano! And love it, but without the context of an opinion and why that content is in there the content would turn off many others who would potentially watch and enjoy this series. As someone mentioned before, Pluggedin! does very content-oriented reviews. But I rarely get an opinion of the film on a whole, and they put otherwise brilliant movies very low ratings on the basis of content and not taking it in as a whole.
Atria35

Postby Midori » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:19 pm

Hmm...if it were up to me, I'd rather not have any official genre classifications at all, but then again I don't really believe in genres. I know opinions differ on this. If we do have genres we might have to implement them as a full-fledged tag system.
Midori

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Midori (post: 1449070) wrote:Hmm...if it were up to me, I'd rather not have any official genre classifications at all, but then again I don't really believe in genres. I know opinions differ on this. If we do have genres we might have to implement them as a full-fledged tag system.

ooh, a tag system would be awesome. It's nice to be able to sort through types of anime, rather than just look through titles. I mean, type of anime or rating. Or both. Right now you have no way to find an action anime other than looking through each title individually. That's a bit of a pain.
Atria35

Previous

Return to Announcements and Feedback