On the moving of threads to goof-off

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

On the moving of threads to goof-off

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:19 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your patience on this one. There have been wide ranging, vocal discussions on this topic, and we feel like we've come to a conclusion - if not consensus - on how we'll be handling this kind of issue from here out.

How and when we'll move a thread to goof off
If a thread has gone seriously goofy (and obviously games and the like) from the beginning, it may simply be moved to goof-off from wherever it starts. For regular threads that are beginning to head in a mostly-appropriate-for-goof-off manner, we will post a quick mod note in an attempt to sublimate the activity in the thread. If goof-off activity continues, the thread will be moved.

Original Poster Prerogative
It is the prerogative of the Original Poster (OP) to determine the direction of the thread; OP requests that a thread be returned to the original topic carry the same weight as a mod. In other words, if the OP requests that people stop derailing the thread and these requests are ignored, a strike may be awarded at the discretion of the mod staff.

On Punishments
We want to single this one out specifically. A thread being moved to goof-off should not be construed as "punishment." We understand it can come across this way, and it's why were making the process as clear as possible up front.

How you can help
First and foremost, please remember that we're ALL humans. You, your fellow users, the original poster, and the mod team. When something happens that you can take personally, please remember that you can choose to NOT take something personally. Your emotional reaction may not be controllable, but your subsequent post most certainly is. For example, part of the agreement to be a moderator on CAA includes agreeing to try and put the good of the board ahead of your desire to lash out or respond in anger. While I recognize that you guys are not all mods here, I know a lot of you are fully capable of helping us out by thinking about your reaction before posting.

Second, please be nice to the moderators when something happens and they move a thread or ask that a topic of conversation be dropped. Remember, they have feelings just like you. Just like YOU might think they've done the wrong thing, THEY feel like they've done the right thing. In the grand scheme of things, whatever they did probably isn't that big of a deal. But if someone chooses to raise a major stink as though it was a huge deal, it *becomes* a huge deal - for the moderator who made the call. I can assure you - they have enough stress as it is. Please don't make more for them or stand on the sidelines and egg on those who would.

Third, I hate to use the term "police" but the easiest thing for you to do is to self-police threads that are veering off-course. Please be respectful of the intentions of OPs.

Thanks, everyone!
- Mithrandir
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Seems fair enough, right ^_^? If there's still any questions, I'm sure they can be worked out if brought to our attention!
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:21 pm

Sure thing boss! n.n Will apply this asap. Well, officially apply, since it's now official.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:28 am

So the truth comes out!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:48 pm

It's good to have this officially settled.

Now I don't have to read that thread.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Furen » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:59 pm

Okay good now that this is finally settled, hopefully this will slowly become easier now that we have the general ideas worked out.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Return to Announcements and Feedback