Signature Issue

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Signature Issue

Postby Sheenar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:44 am

I am trying to change my Sigpic from the one that I have currently to this one: Image

But every time I try to delete my current Sigpic, I get an error message from Internet Explorer saying that the page cannot be loaded and to either refresh or go back. I click Refresh and nothing happens.

But when I just deleted some text in my signature, the page loaded just fine.

I am wondering why it doesn't seem to want to let me make any changes to my Sigpic?
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:12 pm

Have you tried it on any other web browsers? If you have Fire Fox, try it on that and if it doesn't work, then I can try to put it in for you!
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Furen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:56 pm

if you have a PB account you can upload the pic there then press share and one of the url's are for banner signatures

Hope this helps (I had to do this)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sheenar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:15 am

Furen (post: 1420169) wrote:if you have a PB account you can upload the pic there then press share and one of the url's are for banner signatures

Hope this helps (I had to do this)

Do you mean PB Works or Photobucket? I have both.

Lucky, I don't have access to a different web browser at home. My mom only has IE. I'll see if I can try with Firefox when I go back to campus tomorrow.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby goldenspines » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:21 am

That's a fairly large picture that you're trying to put in your sig (roughly, 400px × 300px, and around 40KB), so that may be what is holding you up:
the signature image upload menu wrote: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).
Meaning, even if you are hosting off of Photobucket (or other sites of the like), if the image is still too big (dimension wise), it won't upload.

And often times, IE will not load the "error" screen of CAA saying that your image is too large, and instead just refuse to work (I know this from using IE back when I first joined CAA). Resize the pic down to under the requirements if you can and try uploading the pic again. If that doesn't work, then it may be something more technical.
goldenspines

Postby Sheenar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:19 am

I have a thumbnail version of the photo that I can try. It's just that when I first tried to right-click and "Save Picture As" on the thumbnail version, it wouldn't let me save it. I had to open the full picture in order to save it.

I used to have a free program where I could resize/edit photos, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. The logo on the desktop looked like a red, stretched-out cat.

Edit: Hmm. It won't even allow me to delete the current image so I can try another file. Strange.

Sheenar

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:49 am

This is sounding more and more like a browser caching issue or perhaps some malware or something. If you can't install Firefox on your mother's computer (because of the enhanced security, I force my parents to use Firefox, BTW), please let us know if it's still an issue when you get back to your other machine that has FF. Thanks!
Mithrandir

Postby Sheenar » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Still can't make any changes to my signature at all. Any time I try and click "Save Signature", I get this message:

The website cannot display the page
HTTP 500
Most likely causes:
•The website is under maintenance.
•The website has a programming error.

I'm still using IE on my mom's computer. Still not sure what's going on/what's causing the issue. I can't download any new programs on her computer because it will run REALLY slow if it has "too many" programs on it. I will try again with Firefox when I can get to a place with wi-fi to use my netbook. Firefox is really glitchy on campus for some reason.

Sheenar

Postby Hiryu » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:22 pm

I've actually had a problem trying to put pictures/quotes in the signature box too. It's like I send the data, but then it says remote server not found. I'm using Opera.
Hiryu

Postby Furen » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Oh sorry PB was Photobucket yes
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Hiryu (post: 1428670) wrote:I've actually had a problem trying to put pictures/quotes in the signature box too. It's like I send the data, but then it says remote server not found. I'm using Opera.

Have you tried any other browsers to see if it still occurs ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Hiryu » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Yes, Firefox gave me the same issue. Not trying to point fingers, but it sounds like something on the site's end rather than ours.
Hiryu

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:16 am

That 500 error baffles me. I've tried adding/removing my signature a couple of times just to make sure, and it works fine for me. 500 usually means the server is telling you it has an error, but I can't imagine what would only be affecting a couple of people.

@Hiryu - Are you getting the error when you try to upload the picture, or when you try to save the signature (hit the "save signature" button)?

Also, if you use the "preview" button instead of "save signature," does it give you the same issue?
Mithrandir

Return to Announcements and Feedback