The End is There

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

The End is There

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:11 am

Life transitions seem to be a common theme recently and I am jumping on the bandwagon. When I next log on to CAA, it will be from a satellite connection in Tanzania.

I will be completely absent from the forums between today and August 6th because I need to travel to multiple locations in country before settling. This will likely continue over the next four months as well, because I will be in immersive training. Following that, things should normalize, at least for the three years I’ll be there.

The position I accepted will place me as the only IT person in a fairly large block of the country. Because the Serengeti National Park cuts it off from the highly developed parts of the country, this area’s technological growth is lagging behind the rest of Tanzania.

Still, the growth is rapid and they requested an expatriate worker to help them develop some infrastructure. My headquarters will be an area that didn’t have electricity before 2005 and now has an internet café, two hospitals relying on computers, and an AIDS education/relief ministry with a lot of machines that need maintenance.

Half my job will be basic tech support for those organizations. The other half will be training people, both in basic computer use and to do my job once I leave. Hopefully I’ll play some small part in bringing an area up to speed with the rest of the country and provide some people with skills and potential jobs.

The reason I go into unnecessary detail is to encourage people to think about service in their lives. There’s an overwhelming amount of injustice in the world, but many things can be done to lessen it. As Christians we should be especially aware of our calling to right that which is wrong.

So if you want to give, make sure to fund organizations that empower the poor instead of easing the consciences of the rich. If you want to serve, seek out all the partnerships between developed and developing nations that can help both work toward a just society. If you have skills, consider how they might be used in the broader world.

Sermon aside, farewell for now. Once I’m settled into my new job in Tanzania, I’ll be joining you again.
uc pseudonym

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:23 am

*low whistle* That's realy impressive, and I'm really rooting for you to help a lot of people while you're there. Good luck!
Atria35

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:14 am

Best of luck to you, UC. ^__^
I'm happy you got this awesome opportunity and I'm sure God will bless you and others through it.
Your presence and insight will be greatly missed around the board until you can come back online. Have a safe trip over there.
goldenspines

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:31 am

This sounds like a fantastic ministry opportunity. I'm certain that lots of people will be saying this, but for what it's worth, I will be praying for you and that God will be glorified through you.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:13 pm

*Hugs* I'm glad you're getting to experience this great.. experience xD Stay safe and keep us updated when you're able to hop one :hug:

I know some have been longing for their own calling. I'm glad you heard yours ^^ Hopefully, others will keep an open heart to hear theirs ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Good luck, UC! Godspeed on your journey. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Kaori » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Very awesome, UC! I wish you the best.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby ich1990 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:14 am

I have said it before, but I will say it again: good luck, take pictures, and tell us all about it when you get settled.

BigsleepJ put it perfectly; Godspeed, sir.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Lilac#18 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:55 pm

[color="Plum"]Good luck.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Well, good luck, friend. I know we haven't gotten to talk much, but I consider us friends. Will be praying for you.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby RoyalWing » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:13 pm

This sounds like a very big challenge... but I'm sure you'll be able to meet it. Do your best.
RoyalWing

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Wow, UC I'm impressed, big step outta Kansas into Africa... I'm definately praying for you, that God will use you in ways you never expected, and in ways that will bring glory to Him. I pray that God will change lives through you, so they can have a brighter future.

God Bless, UC!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:26 pm

WOW! That sounds like quite an opportunity. You'll be thought of and prayed for in your absence. I wish you the best! :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Angel37 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:24 pm

How awesome! You'll be in my prayers!
Angel37

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:31 am

I am officially back to participating on CAA. Though I probably won't be as consistent as I was in the past (due to unreliable electricity and work issues) I plan to be around for a while now.

Things are going well enough. Most home and work issues have been smoothed out. I wouldn't call myself comfortable in Swahili, but all my conversations have been in Swahili for about a month and I manage. Some things are a little better than they were without me but I'm a very long way from accomplishing any of Imara's goals. Hopefully no more than three years away. That is all I have to say unless people have questions.

Here is the closest I can get to answering the request for pictures. Most uploaders are rejecting the network out of hand, so I could only attach three images. Out of four. I do not own a camera, so I do not get pictures very often.

Picture Commentary
Desk: Where I work. The other three offices in this room are the youth education department, not that you can see them in this picture.
Imara: The office complex for four different development organizations. My office is midway down the left.
Gate: My host family's house. This is the average upper middle class home for Tanzania; roughly twelve people live in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kaori » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:48 am

Hey, welcome back!

UC wrote:I wouldn't call myself comfortable in Swahili, but all my conversations have been in Swahili for about a month and I manage.

Language acquisition would have been my first question had you not already told us . . . and it’s awesome that you are speaking entirely in Swahili. I wish I could have that sort of immersion experience in Japanese, but incidentally, my work is conducted entirely in English. Anyways, Swahili is a sort of lingua franca spoken throughout a large portion of Africa, right? Are there any additional local/tribal languages where you are, or just Swahili?

Are you serving through MCC by any chance? Just curious, because I know that 3 years is a pretty typical commitment for MCC positions.

Any comments or observations on culture and/or language?

Praying for blessing over your continued work.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:37 am

Welcome back! Glad to hear you're doing well over there and learning your way around the new language and customs! I'll continue to pray that things go well for you over there, and I'm glad to see you back on CAA!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 am

It's good to hear from you.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Okami » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:54 am

Welcome back! It's great to hear from you and to have an update on how things are going. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Welcome back, UC! It's great to hear from you and I'm glad you've been doing well. I hope things continue to go well and improve. ^__^
goldenspines

Postby Lilac#18 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:49 pm

[color="Plum"]Welcome back.:)[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby shooraijin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Welcome back, UC!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm a bit late to the party, but welcome back ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Dante » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 am

Welcome back! Tanzania is awesome, I RP as that country over in CNRP on Cybernations. Is it true that China is planning on building a hi-way straight through the Serengeti though :(. As my father noted, they'd be hitting animals every other minute so they could transport precious metals. Not to mention that such a collision could kill the driver.

Anyways, glad to here you're back!
Dante

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Welcome Back, UC!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Welcome back, UC! It's great to hear that things are going well! I look forward to hearing more about your time in Tanzania as time goes by. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:09 am

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Kaori wrote:Anyways, Swahili is a sort of lingua franca spoken throughout a large portion of Africa, right? Are there any additional local/tribal languages where you are, or just Swahili?

Swahili was a trading language that takes a fair amount from Arabic and is widely spoken in East Africa. Relatively few people learn it as a first language, but Swahili is basically your only option if you want to communicate (though English is gaining in tourist cities and Kenya) – for example, Tanzania has around 120 different tribes with as many languages. The big tribes in my village are Kuria and Koma, with numerous smaller ones, but these languages are mostly spoken in the home.

And yes, I'm with the local organization (Imara) through MCC.

Kaori wrote:Any comments or observations on culture and/or language?

I'm not sure I can answer that question with any degree of succinctness. There are a few interesting things I can say about the language without writing any essays:
- You can't use a singular possessive for many words in Swahili. For example, if I refer to the US, I have to say "our country" even though everyone else is from Tanzania, because I do not personally own the United States.
- Swahili is a highly agglutinating language that cares less about verbs than nouns. There are twelve different noun classes (or eight, depending on how you count) each of which have different rules. So there are numerous different versions of the word "three" depending on the object.
- There are no natural ways to talk about superlatives in Swahili. Likewise, it is basically impossible to say "too much" of something. I tried to say "more than enough" but my language teachers said you can't use the words that way.
- Speaking in generalities, western cultures share information freely and hoard possessions whereas African cultures share possessions freely and hoard information. There are many discussions about the effects of information technology, the internet, and rapidly changing knowledge bases on these cultures.

Pascal wrote: Is it true that China is planning on building a hi-way straight through the Serengeti though

It's true and it appears inevitable. There is international criticism, but Tanzania does have the legal right to build the road unless the argument that it violates the East African community's standards holds. The biggest concern is that increased traffic will stop all migration into Kenya, which would lead to a host of problems.

In general African nations have been willing to accept such deals from China because it is a free way to improve their infrastructure. Though China's motives are obvious, all other governments appear equally self-serving and at least China gives them things while taking their resources. If this is a subject that interests anyone, I recommend China in Africa by Chris Alden.

My last picture is attached. There are two of these in my room, serving no function except ventilation (ie bugs). I have no idea why.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uc pseudonym

Postby GeneD » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 am

Welcome to the continent UC! (and back to CAA)

The photos are cool and hopefully you can send more when you get some.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Kaori » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:17 am

uc pseudonym (post: 1448679) wrote:There are a few interesting things I can say about the language without writing any essays [. . .]

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing those.

MAL
Kaori

Return to Announcements and Feedback