New Oekaki board?

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

New Oekaki board?

Postby firestorm » Tue May 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Is there a chance of us getting a new oekaki board like the one we had in the old days? that would be super fun, plus I think alot of people would love to draw directly on the site knowing many artists here have tablets now. :D

and for those who wonder when did we have one here are a couple of threads commenting on it.

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=805

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=12605

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=24

and here is a link explaining what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oekaki#Examples_of_oekaki_applets

anyways just a thought. hopefully it comes through :D
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Alcuinus » Wed May 26, 2010 11:12 am

Wow that looks cool. I'd like to see it added.
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed May 26, 2010 11:37 am

This.. Must have been before my time ^__^ This sounds pretty cool ^O^ I'm not sure what all is involved or how much space it takes, but I would love to see what people come up with randomly XD
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed May 26, 2010 1:47 pm

If I remember correctly it was a bit resource-intensive, and that's why it (and a few other things) aren't part of the main board right now. HOWEVER! You guys could whip up something similar by posting MS Paint to Photobucket and linking it on the boards.
Cap'n Nick

Postby mechana2015 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Cap'n Nick (post: 1396746) wrote:If I remember correctly it was a bit resource-intensive, and that's why it (and a few other things) aren't part of the main board right now. HOWEVER! You guys could whip up something similar by posting MS Paint to Photobucket and linking it on the boards.

I think part of the attraction is to be able to share the canvas with other artists, and to be able to do oekaki in concert with like minded people in a safe environment. It's less the style and more the social function of the program, with it allowing for collaboration and discussion over the drawing.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed May 26, 2010 2:43 pm

I think we had some problems with keeping it clean back when we had it, especially when we'd get troll waves.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed May 26, 2010 3:03 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1396761) wrote:I think we had some problems with keeping it clean back when we had it, especially when we'd get troll waves.

Yeah, I can imagine that.. Mayhaps, a post requirement to be able to use ti? Something high, since it's a bit different then chat, but nothing unreachable ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby firestorm » Wed May 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1396772) wrote:Yeah, I can imagine that.. Mayhaps, a post requirement to be able to use ti? Something high, since it's a bit different then chat, but nothing unreachable ^^

I agree, at least a count high enough to deture them from going on or maybe something requires some sort of one time authorization from the mods maybe?
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Thu May 27, 2010 6:17 am

say 25, maybe 50 posts.

And I'm all for it. It was a popular mainstay of the boards back when, and it and several other functions really added to the community, and gave us more to discuss and enjoy together. This may be an old, tired song, but if it's got enough popular support, and it's not in the budget for the moment, why not let the people interested in it donate towards that end? I'd be willing to give fifty, myself.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby firestorm » Thu May 27, 2010 6:47 am

Zarn Ishtare (post: 1396944) wrote:say 25, maybe 50 posts.

And I'm all for it. It was a popular mainstay of the boards back when, and it and several other functions really added to the community, and gave us more to discuss and enjoy together. This may be an old, tired song, but if it's got enough popular support, and it's not in the budget for the moment, why not let the people interested in it donate towards that end? I'd be willing to give fifty, myself.

agreed with zarn on this one! I mean it would really go well with the contests as well, we can have a live oekaki art contest you know that would be fun. Or we can even make a Oekaki mural for CAA ^-^. I'd be willing to participate and donate. :D

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:38 pm

I suggest 50 or a hundred posts.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Okami » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:48 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1399531) wrote:I suggest 50 or a hundred posts.

I was just about to say this while reading the thread...so, agreed. xD
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby firestorm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Cap'n Nick (post: 1396746) wrote:If I remember correctly it was a bit resource-intensive, and that's why it (and a few other things) aren't part of the main board right now. HOWEVER! You guys could whip up something similar by posting MS Paint to Photobucket and linking it on the boards.

Is it resource intensive as far as bandwidth or memory?

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Your idea will be considered ^___^

It sounds interesting, so we'll see what happens ^O^
Tsukuyomi

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Man, I'd love to see the oekaki board come back. I used it a lot back in the day.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Straylight » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:21 pm

If it were integrated into the forum software, that would be pretty cool. The problem with the old one was that it was kinda like a seperate message board, therefore difficult to moderate.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Straylight (post: 1402757) wrote:If it were integrated into the forum software, that would be pretty cool. The problem with the old one was that it was kinda like a seperate message board, therefore difficult to moderate.

I think I'm beginning to figure out exactly how to pull this kind of thing off. When I wrote the chat system, I was able to set parameters that let change what gets displayed to the user if they are, for example, less than "n" posts. We can also block certain users altogether. Hit me up on AIM/Skype/Chat/Whatevs if you want to hear how it all goes down. XD
Mithrandir

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:52 am

I gave this suggestion to Tsukuyomi, but I'll repost here to see what reactions from members would be.

What about having a sort of 'lifeguard' system for the actual paintchat room? If a moderator isn't present (or something along those lines) it simply isn't accessable. It would make it easy to handle if there was a troll wave or a serious attempt by several users to put something obscene up in paintchat, the mod could just leave, possibly booting all users with them and 'locking the doors' so they can focus on keeping the boards and chat clean rather than trying to moderate boards, chat and paintchat.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby firestorm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:05 am

mechana2015 (post: 1402915) wrote:I gave this suggestion to Tsukuyomi, but I'll repost here to see what reactions from members would be.

What about having a sort of 'lifeguard' system for the actual paintchat room? If a moderator isn't present (or something along those lines) it simply isn't accessable. It would make it easy to handle if there was a troll wave or a serious attempt by several users to put something obscene up in paintchat, the mod could just leave, possibly booting all users with them and 'locking the doors' so they can focus on keeping the boards and chat clean rather than trying to moderate boards, chat and paintchat.

that makes sense but that would also mean that if said moderator were to say, go get a gallon of milk, 1 of 2 things would happen. A. we'd all get booted off til' he/she gets back or B. out of some sense of guilt or something, the moderator would leave it on so everyone would enjoy the oekaki chat, but thus leaving it open during that time frame for a troll attack.

now I'm not saying that it can't be done, In fact I think we're on the right track. But said moderator has to be able to put their feelings of guilt or consideration or whatever aside at that point for the betterment of the Oekaki chat. I have no doubt that who ever is Moderating it would be able to do that. Just kind of putting the thought out there cause it can happen.

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:16 am

firestorm (post: 1402917) wrote:that makes sense but that would also mean that if said moderator were to say, go get a gallon of milk...

Ewww, I don't like milk :p Not alone that is xD

I'm guessing we should mod it like in chat ^^ Not one specific moderator modding it ^^

As for just getting up and leaving, a warning would be good, so a masterpiece in the workings isn't destroyed :-?
Tsukuyomi

Postby firestorm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:42 am

Tsukuyomi (post: 1402931) wrote:Ewww, I don't like milk :p Not alone that is xD

I'm guessing we should mod it like in chat ^^ Not one specific moderator modding it ^^

As for just getting up and leaving, a warning would be good, so a masterpiece in the workings isn't destroyed :-?

which would mean that there should be some sort of save or download option so you can save it on your computer instead of on the site? that would be great. :D

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Ctrl-PrintScreen

or

Apple-Shift-4

Now you can save anything on your screen. XD
Mithrandir

Postby firestorm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:55 pm

XD lol that'll do. XD

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:34 am

Apple-Shift-3, I thought it was...
Ante Bellum

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm imagining you can always cntrl+v to pasta it back onto the canvas ^^
Tsukuyomi

Postby firestorm » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1403198) wrote:I'm imagining you can always cntrl+v to pasta it back onto the canvas ^^

lol but I don't want ragu sauce on my masterpiece!! T_T XD passsstttaaaa!!!! XD

lol on a serious note since we're all talking about it as if it were a chat. Does that mean it's gonna be a chatroom type thing? or a completely diffent beast entirely?

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:52 pm

I dunno. I'm making no promises. XD
Mithrandir

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:59 pm

firestorm (post: 1403212) wrote:lol but I don't want ragu sauce on my masterpiece!! T_T XD passsstttaaaa!!!! XD

lol on a serious note since we're all talking about it as if it were a chat. Does that mean it's gonna be a chatroom type thing? or a completely diffent beast entirely?

Most paintchat's have a sort of chatroom-like function to enable communication between the various artists on the current canvas.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:19 pm

For the access rules:

Set it up so that most people are only allowed conditional access when they have at least 50 posts and have been a member for at least 1 month.
Then these people are only allowed in when a mod is present, and are bumped out when the mod leaves.

And give open access to members with 100+ posts and a mods okay, as well as all members with 1000+ posts

Just my two cents. I don't know how hard this would be to implement, and you may want to change some of the numbers
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:09 pm

That sounds like a good system. I'm not sure how you would use it but I'm sure there is some way to pull it off?
Ante Bellum

Next

Return to Announcements and Feedback