Journals and Blogs

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Journals and Blogs

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:30 pm

I've noticed many post better suited for blogs/journals (for a while now). I know there's plenty blogging sites and online journals out there, but would it really be such a bad idea to have a section (or whatever) for blogs/journals ^^?

I can understand why why one wouldn't go and get a Live Journal or Blog Spot :-? Too many sites to keep track of, right ^^?

Thought, opinions, pros, cons, and what else are more then welcomed ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Jingo Jaden » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:35 pm

I do think they tend to post these in the link section.

But since it could add for more deserved feedback, I think it is a good idea. :)
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Jaden Mental (post: 1351966) wrote:I do think they tend to post these in the link section.

But since it could add for more deserved feedback, I think it is a good idea. :)

Thank you, Jaden :)

I think it would promote more activity here ^__^ Most of what I see here is CAA wanting opinions/advice from other CAAers.. Which, may not have a journal/blog :-?

Also, some places give you the option to protect your entries.. Meaning,, only people on one's friend's list can see your entries ^^ So, a link may not work :-?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:58 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Lucky. Are you suggesting that we have a section on CAA for people to make blog/journal like posts, or are you suggesting a place where people post about their blogs/journals separate from the Links section?
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby goldenspines » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:16 pm

I was under the impression that Tsuki was suggesting a section for members to have their own individual blogs on the CAA site itself.

While I can see benefits from the idea, I also see many cons as well. One in particular is that I feel that these "blogs" would become ranting areas more than anything; not people wanting advice, but just wanting to vent. And I don't think that's helpful to the forum's community and can cause much disorder among the members. We are here to help each other and lift each other up, not to vent on each other because we feel like it. Plus, it almost encourages a selfish attitude.
Hence, if people want to rant, they should do it on a blog offsite. That's why it's okay to link people to your blog, but not force it on them by putting it on the site they come to for encouragement.

But, my fears about ideas like these have been proven wrong before. I'd like to see what others think about the idea.
goldenspines

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:34 pm

Honestly, I'm seeing those same pros and cons as well, Goldie. I think that, if the section were used properly, it could be beneficial in building community amongst the members. Perhaps if the section had specific rules for posting, just like our other sections (i.e., no politics or subjects that might spark theological debate, etc.), the idea could work?

I think a good plan to implement here, if this idea DID come to fruition, would be to allow one journal thread per member. I've seen this kind of thing in practice elsewhere, and as far as I recall, it worked pretty well for the members of that site.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:19 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1351977) wrote:Honestly, I'm seeing those same pros and cons as well, Goldie. I think that, if the section were used properly, it could be beneficial in building community amongst the members. Perhaps if the section had specific rules for posting, just like our other sections (i.e., no politics or subjects that might spark theological debate, etc.), the idea could work?

I think a good plan to implement here, if this idea DID come to fruition, would be to allow one journal thread per member. I've seen this kind of thing in practice elsewhere, and as far as I recall, it worked pretty well for the members of that site.

Right, one journal/blog thread per person ^^ This will keep things more in order (makes things really easy to find rather then having to search around for new updates/entries/post by a member) ^__^

Rules are also a must ^^ I agree that regular CAA rules should apply (it may be its own section but it's still apart of CAA after all) ^__^ Maybe, others as well (if they come up) 8D

As for people only wanting to rant but not wanting advice.. They can forget about it XD Sorry to put that so bluntly, but when posting a journal/blog in a public place (especially in a public place as CAA which doesn't give the option to prevent others from commenting such as Lj), you can't really expect people NOT to post ^^; Just like anywhere else on the boards once you really think of it ^^

Oh noes, I didn't think my op post would come out that way XDD Sorry about that Rushia ^^; I meant a place for others to make actual bloggy like post for themselves 8D

I hope none of that came out weird 8(
Tsukuyomi

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:57 am

So something like an advice section. That sounds like it could work.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:08 am

LadyRushia (post: 1352023) wrote:So something like an advice section. That sounds like it could work.

Well, I think it might function better as a section to simply spill your thoughts, though advice would always be welcome; the prayer forum already functions as something of an advice/prayer section as it is. I would imagine it more as a place where one could cross-post journals/notes from LJ or Facebook, giving simple thoughts on the day or something like that. That's how I understand it, at least. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Daily thoughts, advice, or just mere rantage would work :) If not a whole section of its own, perhaps a sub-forum in General ^^?
Tsukuyomi

Postby goldenspines » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:09 pm

[quote="Radical Dreamer (post: 1352037)"]Well, I think it might function better as a section to simply spill your thoughts, though advice would always be welcome]

This view on the idea puts my mind at ease. I'd really hate to give Mith more work in creating a sub forum, though (since it would be too complicated to manage in a thread unless we made it like Twitter, but that's still kind of confusing XD). :\

But, if there is enough interest, the idea is definitely worth pursuing. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Peanut » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:53 pm

goldenspines (post: 1352077) wrote:But, if there is enough interest, the idea is definitely worth pursuing. ^_^

Allow me to take this time and say that I am interested in this idea...so that's one.XD

I have a couple suggestions as well. First, I would like to suggest something rather obvious and that's if a section like this is made, it should be hidden from anyone who is not a member of the site. I don't think we want certain individuals who are looking at our sight to see that we have a blog area. That could lead to trouble...In fact, we may want to see if we can set it up so only members who've been around for a while can actually see and/or post in it. I just get the feeling that if we got a troll wave a section like this would be targeted before anything else...

Second, for the sake of you mods, I think it should be emphasized to anyone blogging/journaling in this area to be responsible for their own thread. I'm not saying that you guys should ignore any of the blogs there, I am saying that if this section became really popular it could become a rather difficult to monitor every blog to make sure any rules aren't being broken. Since it's the members blog, they should be the ones doing the "modding" by reporting any violations and keeping the peace. While I'm pretty sure any forum/section like this wouldn't be too busy now, I can see it becoming very popular down the road and becoming a real hassel to keep track of.

Those are my thoughts.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Good suggestions, Peanut! Especially about the privacy issue; good thoughts!

Radical Dreamer

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:24 pm

Very good suggestion, Peanut ^^ I think making the section only members is very wise (just as pictures and prayer section) 8) Maybe, a certain number of post before being allowed to post/view the journal/blog section (Maybe, 100 or so. Since this is a big thing) ^^?
Tsukuyomi

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Poky Poky.. No edit button >8(

Is there a way to make it so that each blog/journal will need to be approved by a mod/admin ^^?
Tsukuyomi

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, it would be great to provide a lot of people with an outlet like this. On the other hand the whole idea of a "moderated blog" strikes me as totally incongruous, and there simply isn't enough man power on the site's mod staff to handle this kind of thing either.

I'm afraid I'm not inclined to follow up on this at this time. Sorry guys!
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:31 pm

*Nodnod* u_u/

Some blogs would be hard to keep control >_> I'm sure there would be some that are more suited for the Mature Prayer Thread :-? Even if with spoiler tags, some may still be tempted to take a looksies ^^;

I'm not trying to sounds like I'm questioning your authority, but may I ask where the blog like threads will go ^^? There's been a few popping up lately ^^ Will they be able to stay in General and/or the Prayer Section (depending on what kind of post of course) o.o?
Tsukuyomi

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:54 am

We may just not really have any place for them. I mean, there are plenty of places where you can get a free blog. If one just post a links to it in the links thread, people that are interested can go and look.
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:59 pm

Always true as well ^^

I guess it is really hard to tell if the thread you're about to post will come off bloggy or not ^^

(Why must it be so cold)
Tsukuyomi

Return to Announcements and Feedback