Please Read

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Please Read

Postby Stephen » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:02 am

(Forgive me if this is poorly written as I am running on very little sleep but wanted to address this)

I am kinda going out on a limb on this, this is more as an old member and less as a mod. I would imagine that the other staff would agree with me on this though. Lately it has been brought up many times that people feel a change in the site. I see that as fairly natural really. People change, sites change, etc. But one common theme I have picked up on from members is that people feel that the core member base is very unforgiving and even overly aggressive towards new members and old members alike. I will not claim innocence in this, because I myself have frequently came off as a jerk when moving threads and whatnot.

But I think we really do need to all think a bit more before we post. It is so easy sometimes to sit behind a screen and relish that anominity. But the fact is a real person is reading the posts we post. The snide comments, the crude jokes, that stuff is not going to a machine....It is easy to kinda fall in line with a set attitude. Most sites get that way. Pretty much every site I have ever joined or lurked on has been that way. A core "hardcore" group that have been on the site for ages will smack down new members for new member mistakes.

I don't want CAA to be like every other site. If someone wants sarcasm and crudeness the internet has no shortage of that. So the next time a member asks a silly question, try to treat em with kid gloves okay? I hate to see people feel that CAA is not a welcoming site. People feeling as if they are being bashed and whatnot. But I would also ask that if a person is having an issue with a member/post etc, please bring it to the staffs attention. We cannot help solve a problem that we don't even know exists.

This is not directed at a single person, nor is it some sort of banhammer threat. Just a thought from someone that has been here a real long time.
Stephen

Postby Ingemar » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:22 am

In before Fish and Chips protests.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:17 am

Ingemar (post: 1285867) wrote:In before Fish and Chips protests.

I believe it's this kind of attitude Steve is referencing. I think that right now is not a good time to blame others for the same kind of attitude you or I may have been expressing towards others.

That said, I back you 100% in this post, Steve. Well said.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby goldenspines » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:53 am

Brilliantly said, Steve.
I wish I could speak as an innocent, but I'm guilty of being rather snarky at times; behind people's back if not to their face.

Something was brought to my mind after reading this, if it doesn't apply, then feel free to ignore because I tend to ramble. ^_^;

As followers of Christ, shouldn't we be showing the rest of the internet(aka: a lot of the world) that we are different? I mean, when you really think about it, our behavior on the internet applies the same in real life as it does on the internet. People are people, whether you communicate with them in real life or over the internet.

Although, the fact that "we Christians should be loving and all that" shouldn't be an excuse to rail on others members of this site if they're being snarky or rude. Keep yourself accountable first and foremost. Let God(and the moderators of the site) handle everyone else.
goldenspines

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:13 am

Excellent posts, Steve and Goldie. I'm pretty sure I'm not innocent either. I think we should all remember that even jokes can come across as attacks.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm sure I've done this as well, and I apologize for it ^__^; Sometimes, jokes and pokes do go a little too far. As if the internet wasn't hard to read as it is :shake:
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Ingemar » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:54 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1285872) wrote:I believe it's this kind of attitude Steve is referencing.
Serious thread is serious.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Stephen » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:16 pm

Ingemar I would be careful with the attitude. This is an issue the staff is taking very serious.
Stephen

Postby rocklobster » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Well, I always try not to be snarky.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Awesome thread is awesome.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:38 pm

You know, I think Steve is on to something. Long ago, before the Internet was permanently flooded with noobs, spam, and anonymous, before the stupid memes, even before AOL, newbies used to all join the net at the same time. They were welcomed, trained, and brought up into the culture of the net at that time. Then, they'd help do the same for the next year's newbies.

The system in those days was overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the AOLers joining the net, but we've got a decent member base compared to our new user rate. We could train our newbies and teach them how to make veteran mistakes instead of newbie ones. We could remake them - better, faster, stronger. Or, we could be a breeding ground for anonymous, like so many other sites. We could bounce our noobs around to various other sites, keeping them in their noobish place, making their noobish mistakes until they manage by their own persistence to learn what we failed to teach them. But then, that's what anonymous would do.

We could be better. Or, we could sink into the mire of the Net. It's our choice, after all.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:42 pm

Kaligraphic (post: 1285934) wrote:You know, I think Steve is on to something. Long ago, before the Internet was permanently flooded with noobs, spam, and anonymous, before the stupid memes, even before AOL, newbies used to all join the net at the same time. They were welcomed, trained, and brought up into the culture of the net at that time. Then, they'd help do the same for the next year's newbies.

The system in those days was overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the AOLers joining the net, but we've got a decent member base compared to our new user rate. We could train our newbies and teach them how to make veteran mistakes instead of newbie ones. We could remake them - better, faster, stronger. Or, we could be a breeding ground for anonymous, like so many other sites. We could bounce our noobs around to various other sites, keeping them in their noobish place, making their noobish mistakes until they manage by their own persistence to learn what we failed to teach them. But then, that's what anonymous would do.

We could be better. Or, we could sink into the mire of the Net. It's our choice, after all.

This post is excellent, and I agree 100%. If we want to show ourselves as different from any other site, how we treat each other is a very important facet of that. It's good advice for how we treat anyone, online or off. Thanks for posting, Kaligraph.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:21 pm

I agree 1000 percent...and I'm sure that I've been unintentionally guilty in the past... and if I have ever offended anyone I apologize.

That said I agree because we are called to be above "the rest" this site is a christian site and so all the meanness, should be expected to end... and I applaud the sentiments in this thread.

Thanks for the reminder, guys!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Robin Firedrake » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:25 pm

^Uuhhh... What she said.
Robin Firedrake

Postby animewarrior » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:32 pm

I completely see your point. I really hope people view me as a loving member but I can scare newbies sometimes ... ^^'' ... so yeah I agree with you and I hope things will get back to "feel" that CAA had back when I first joined as a lurker and then emerged around Summer '07... love you guys
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:04 pm

goldenspines (post: 1285884) wrote:Brilliantly said, Steve.
I wish I could speak as an innocent, but I'm guilty of being rather snarky at times]

Stephen (post: 1285847) wrote:(Forgive me if this is poorly written as I am running on very little sleep but wanted to address this)

I am kinda going out on a limb on this, this is more as an old member and less as a mod. I would imagine that the other staff would agree with me on this though. Lately it has been brought up many times that people feel a change in the site. I see that as fairly natural really. People change, sites change, etc. But one common theme I have picked up on from members is that people feel that the core member base is very unforgiving and even overly aggressive towards new members and old members alike. I will not claim innocence in this, because I myself have frequently came off as a jerk when moving threads and whatnot.

But I think we really do need to all think a bit more before we post. It is so easy sometimes to sit behind a screen and relish that anominity. But the fact is a real person is reading the posts we post. The snide comments, the crude jokes, that stuff is not going to a machine....It is easy to kinda fall in line with a set attitude. Most sites get that way. Pretty much every site I have ever joined or lurked on has been that way. A core "hardcore" group that have been on the site for ages will smack down new members for new member mistakes.

I don't want CAA to be like every other site. If someone wants sarcasm and crudeness the internet has no shortage of that. So the next time a member asks a silly question, try to treat em with kid gloves okay? I hate to see people feel that CAA is not a welcoming site. People feeling as if they are being bashed and whatnot. But I would also ask that if a person is having an issue with a member/post etc, please bring it to the staffs attention. We cannot help solve a problem that we don't even know exists.

This is not directed at a single person, nor is it some sort of banhammer threat. Just a thought from someone that has been here a real long time.

Agreed, and well said! You guys really brought it into perspective, and goldie, your are 100% correct. Whether in person or over the internet our actions, words, and deeds should be a reflection of God and people should be able to see Him in our lives.

I must say, I too, am one of the guilty party. Thanks for taking time to notice and having the courage to say something! :)
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby ADXC » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:13 pm

Yeah, I guess I must say that I too have been sarcastic at times and I apologize for that. But Im never sarcastic to a new member. So yeah I'll try to stop being sarcastic at all.
ADXC

Postby Ikimaru_Tarimi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:26 pm

sorry, if I did that to anyone
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
God loves you

:dance:MOES:dance:
Ikimaru_Tarimi

Postby Lilac#18 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:19 pm

I agree with goldenspines', Steven's and Kaligraphic's post completely. I never really said anything hurtful, hateful or disrespect. I think I said something before that might of came off as a know it all, but if I did, I'm truly sorry and it won't happen again. I think the non-christian forums/blogs should follow these principals, because alot of them have very disrespect, hateful users that hurt the other users. There are the blog/forum users that say evil things and if another user calls them on it, they say "It's freedom of speech."
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:53 am

I agree wholeheartedly! If I've ever come across rude or mean, I apologize. Anonymity does tend to make one feel powerful.

I was a total noob and weaboo when I joined up, so I know I can't be dissing new members. Well, considering how little I've posted in a long time, maybe I'm ok, heh.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ich1990 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:22 pm

Noted.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Whitefang » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:36 pm

As a new member and possessor of a somewhat dry humor and inability to convey emotion over the internet, I appreciate this on many levels, and I will always (and generally have in the past) try to maintain a friendly attitude.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Trufax, Steve. I know that I have been guilty of this, so I will do my best to keep more of a positive attitude.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:14 pm

Extremely guilty of this. I'd honestly come to the site two years ago to stop thinking that the influence of like minds would help keep me more honest, but it's an easy habit to slip back in to. I'm sorry...
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:49 pm

I try not to be hateful, but it's difficult when you're a crotchety old woman. >.>

If anyone ever has a problem with something I've said, or if I take my jokes too far, PM me and let me know.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:44 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Here are six BASIC rules that I think we should all keep in mind:

1. God is Good all the Time, and all the time God is Good.

2. Correct if you must, but don't gloat.

3. New members (Note, not "Newbies") are just as smart as any other member and should be treated as such.

4. Your humor may not be other people's humor.

5. If you don't like what's written, don't reply on it. Turn the other cheek.

6. Judge not lest ye be judged [/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Felix » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:31 pm

I haven't been very active here recently, partly due to some of the issues addressed in this very thread, but I felt I should chime in here just to say that I have noticed the changes as well. The devolution if you will, at least in terms of moral and social integrity. Though the site has improved in a lot of ways technically and also grown in numbers, I feel we have slid backwards a little in other areas.
But! I'm pleased to see that apparently a good portion of the users here have noticed these things, and can relate to what's been going on! Hopefully, if we all work at it and have more of a conscious attitude toward things... if we're more gracious toward each other and more humble toward ourselves, then we can restore CAA to the welcoming, cheery, and most of all Christian place that it should be.
To me, it seems like a shadow had fallen over this forum. That's a big part of why I stopped coming here regularly. But I'm optimistic now about the future here. Maybe this thread will be a spark that will cause some kind of reformation here. I sure hope so anyway.
I'll be attempting to post here more and stay in touch and help encourage this new attitude!
With love in all things, but mostly in Christ
-Felix
Felix

Postby CephasWhite » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:34 pm

I've noticed things here as well, but they've probably been mentioned already by the others.

Peoples opinions are welcomed, but it hurts when someone else bashes their opinion with the accusers own, thinking that it's their opinion that matters and no one elses; whether it be rude, obnoxious or mean. Everyone has free speech, to run over them is crossing the line. Accept their opinion, say yours if you have to, but don't bash them!

As Stephen mentioned, the person who writes the post towards the other person are not the only ones reading these posts. There are practically millions reading our words typed in our boxes on the screen.

In regards to the new members, we welcome them. We want them to have the best time on this site, with people giving prayers, comments, and maybe some counseling if needed. We are supposed to love one another! Do not leave them astray!

As well, as Stephen said, if there are people here that are being crude and rude, report them! If they get banned, pray for them as well that God will relieve them from their stubbornness and ignorance.

I, along with the million other users, want this site to prosper. If the Lord wills, this site will become a mainstream site for those who are Christian and like Anime.

I think I've said my share, Steve. Thank you for posting this thread.
Two Steps From Hell - Tristan <--(click)
†††††††††††††
We have been here long enough to know
That we are all brothers and sisters in Christ,
So if you are in need of help,
We shall give you His advice.

May God add his blessings upon you,
That you will live this day and forever,
And when He comes to the earth again,
We will all go together...

Into Heaven for Eternity...

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby RFC » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Felix (post: 1287624) wrote:I haven't been very active here recently, partly due to some of the issues addressed in this very thread, but I felt I should chime in here just to say that I have noticed the changes as well. The devolution if you will, at least in terms of moral and social integrity. Though the site has improved in a lot of ways technically and also grown in numbers, I feel we have slid backwards a little in other areas.
But! I'm pleased to see that apparently a good portion of the users here have noticed these things, and can relate to what's been going on! Hopefully, if we all work at it and have more of a conscious attitude toward things... if we're more gracious toward each other and more humble toward ourselves, then we can restore CAA to the welcoming, cheery, and most of all Christian place that it should be.
To me, it seems like a shadow had fallen over this forum. That's a big part of why I stopped coming here regularly. But I'm optimistic now about the future here. Maybe this thread will be a spark that will cause some kind of reformation here. I sure hope so anyway.
I'll be attempting to post here more and stay in touch and help encourage this new attitude!
With love in all things, but mostly in Christ
-Felix

I agree with Felix here and with many of the other members.
First off, I apologize if I have ever come off as rude and unloving in any manner. I never intend to be like that, but if it has ever happened I am deeply sorry for it.
Secondly, thank you for bringing up this issue Stephen. I have also neglected to be on this site more often, but during the short time I have been a member I have witnessed this issue.
Over the last year, God has really challenged me in not taking offense at people so easily online and to watch my own words very carefully. I still struggle with this and it's a battle that I will probably always fight.
As KhakiBlueSocks brilliantly put it:"God is Good all the Time, and all the time God is Good."
If we follow God with all our hearts, He can and WILL shine through us. Even if it's just text on a computer screen. :)
[color="Plum"]Jesus Freak Forever!![/color]
Proud creator of the Fakir Girls! (To visit our forum: click on the banner)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] [color="Plum"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators[/color]
"MOES:You gotta know when to hold it, know when you've scrolled it."
[color="PaleGreen"]Con List: Anime L.A. 2008, Saboten Con 2009, Con-Nichiwa 2010[/color]
RFC

Postby Amzi Live » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:17 am

Hey,cool! I didn't notice this thread. Heh!
Kudos to Stephen.
I think that the mere fact that we are able to acknowledge,and talk about this is great so I'm sure we can't be to far off track. At heart the members here are awesome,old or new. Hey,who knows maybe God is wanting us to get ready for something new in the site. Be it to help others better or whatever.
Awesome posts everyone. :thumb:

Lurker signing off...
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Next

Return to Announcements and Feedback