The "Parents" section

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

The "Parents" section

Postby Maledicte » Fri May 09, 2008 3:35 pm

Will anything ever be added to it? I'd like to help with that if I am able.
Maledicte

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:49 pm

I'm curious to know what sort of content was planned for this section. Depending upon what is needed, I might be able to help as well.

I'd assume it is different than the sort of material that is in 'Reviews', although for me, that was the original reason I found this site. I was a parent looking for info on Anime and Manga series before bringing them into the house where my kids would latch onto them. My participation in the forums followed.

So if it isn't 'what Parents need to know about specific series' content, what is it? Recommendations? Anime/Manga community parents commenting on their experiences for the benefit of other parents? Other?
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:45 pm

This is one of Ashley's ideas, so she would be the one to ask. She has stated in vague terms what she intended for this section, but if you want anything concrete I'd recommend sending her a PM (she's not terribly likely to stumble across this thread).
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:51 pm

(Besides, the more people who PM her, the more likely she is to do it. ;) )
Mithrandir

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:47 am

Hey, guess who found the thread~! >_O

*ahem* Yes, the parents section is primarily my idea. The goal would be to create a helpful, informative, friendly place for parents to seek further information about anime; hopefully, if they stumbled on CAA and saw "parents", they'd click there first.

This section would include:
- an introduction page (a brief welcome on a page with the following links)
- Just what is anime? (a parent's introduction)
- Terms to know
- Christians and Anime (an article for parents who are unsure of the spiritual legitimacy of anime)
- The CAA Review Databases (maybe a page explaining our standards and system, with links to each of the databases).
(Speaking of the databases, I'd like to eventually think about updating them to include something akin to the banners at MiniTokyo...something that would give the reviews a taste of the art while still being very cool/unified)
- Helpful Links/Resources
- The Staff of CAA (the long-anticipated staff box!)
- CAA's Mission
- FAQs
- Sharing your faith with your otaku friends (basically, a sketch of theologically why you *should* think about doing it, and maybe post stories of people who have had success, etc.)

Most of these are actually written; I just need to talk to Mithrandir about sending them to him and getting them up online. The staff box, however, is nowhere near completed. If you know of any artists willing to donate a lot of time and effort, that would be an excellent way to contribute. Another way to help would be to read over the sections when they are posted, and PM me with your reactions/comments/ideas about how to edit or improve.
Ashley

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm not an artist, but I am curious what the staff box is all about. What's the final result supposed to look like? I think that would be important for an artist to consider before they commit to it.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby CAAOutkast » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:38 am

[quote="Ashley (post: 1238072)"]Hey, guess who found the thread~! >_O

*ahem* Yes, the parents section is primarily my idea. The goal would be to create a helpful, informative, friendly place for parents to seek further information about anime]

I knew It was somthin' like that. What a great Idea! You rock,Ashley!
CAAOutkast

Postby Ashley » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:35 am

I'm not an artist, but I am curious what the staff box is all about. What's the final result supposed to look like? I think that would be important for an artist to consider before they commit to it.

Well, years ago, Straylight posted this: http://forum.yaxay.com/staff.php#

He envisioned something similar for our staff: some artistic renderings of the current staff (perhaps a respectful way to include former help,too) that links to short surveys about each staff member. We've thought about doing themes (Star Wars, FFX, etc.) but it sorta keeps dying...
Ashley

Postby GeneD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:50 am

I think "artistic renderings of the current staff" is an great idea. We have something similar for our local anime magazine's staff. The magazine recently had a second staff fan art competition. I've attached a pic of their "avatars" from the first competition, just as another example. I don't know if this is the kind of thing you have in mind.

So why not have a competition? Members can design just single staff members or the whole group, even combining different themes. It might ease things for a single artist. A competition might die out too, but who knows?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:55 am

I've done editing for other members of writer's clubs I've attended. I'd be happy to help with the grammar and style stuff. If/when you post, I'll PM with any edits I spot.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Ashley wrote:He envisioned something similar for our staff: some artistic renderings of the current staff (perhaps a respectful way to include former help,too) that links to short surveys about each staff member. We've thought about doing themes (Star Wars, FFX, etc.) but it sorta keeps dying...

It doesn't help that we've never actually had a designated artist for this. Personally, though, I think it might be best just to mix and match instead of trying to pick a single theme. That might have a slightly better chance of success because it isn't limited in the same sense.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 pm

We have something similar for our local anime magazine's staff. The magazine recently had a second staff fan art competition. I've attached a pic of their "avatars" from the first competition, just as another example. I don't know if this is the kind of thing you have in mind.

Yeah that...that basically nails it. Maybe we should just hire your staff? XD

Personally, though, I think it might be best just to mix and match instead of trying to pick a single theme. That might have a slightly better chance of success because it isn't limited in the same sense.

What I think would be best is if the artist(s) just contacted each of us personally and tried to capture what that individual liked/wanted represented. Amalgamation + personalization. Now. If only we could find an artist.

The other problem is the constantly changing status of staff members; we need to find some way to both honor those who have served in the past and keep the box updated so we can add/remove people as needed.
Ashley

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:54 pm

I think it woudl be neat to have a competition too...

XD I've drawn Chatbot before that was fun. :P

I think this is a fun idea, Ashley! I'd do it, but I'm sure there are artists who are a bit more qualified than I am...

So that's why I think a competition would be cool... you could get a lot of different artists involved..;

and why does this have to limited to just ONE Artist? Uniformity? I think it might be cool to mix and match...but that's just me ^^;
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:02 pm

[quote="ChristianKitsune (post: 1239455)"]I think it woudl be neat to have a competition too...

XD I've drawn Chatbot before that was fun. :P

I think this is a fun idea, Ashley! I'd do it, but I'm sure there are artists who are a bit more qualified than I am...

So that's why I think a competition would be cool... you could get a lot of different artists involved..]

QFT totally. There are tons of awesome artists on CAA and I think it would be extremely fun to see different staff renderings. XD

Also I think I would have way too much fun drawing fellow mods. XDD I'm really up for this idea, if we want to go with it. XD I'm sure we can get lots of other artists interested, too.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby chibiphonebooth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:07 pm

ME. I WANNA DO THAT. :o
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Popsicle » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:37 pm

Haha...I'm interested. It would be fun if everyone did it too. I have no clue what most of you staff look like though. :sweat:
Popsicle

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:55 pm

Popsicle (post: 1239490) wrote:Haha...I'm interested. It would be fun if everyone did it too. I have no clue what most of you staff look like though. :sweat:

We'd probably have to post pictures. XD I have pictures on this site somewhere but they're so old that no one could ever find them. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:56 am

chibiphonebooth (post: 1239463) wrote:ME. I WANNA DO THAT. :o

HEHE...
looks like fun right? :D
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:42 pm

I'd be interested in doing one or more staff portraits too.
My style is quite different to Chibi's and CK's though.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Ashley » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm going to exercise executive right to veto here and exnay on the "multiple artists." I hate to be a kill joy, but I really don't think mixing and mashing a bunch of different styles together is a great idea. While I can certainly see the benefit of having only one assignment per artist instead of 7 or 8, I still think we'd have problems with getting people to turn in pieces, and aesthetically, I'd just much prefer uniformity on an artistic level.

However, if you all would like to have a contest for the chance at drawing the staff, that can certainly be arranged.
Ashley

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Ashley (post: 1240339) wrote:I'm going to exercise executive right to veto here and exnay on the "multiple artists." I hate to be a kill joy, but I really don't think mixing and mashing a bunch of different styles together is a great idea. While I can certainly see the benefit of having only one assignment per artist instead of 7 or 8, I still think we'd have problems with getting people to turn in pieces, and aesthetically, I'd just much prefer uniformity on an artistic level.

However, if you all would like to have a contest for the chance at drawing the staff, that can certainly be arranged.

How about putting a cap on the number of artists, then? Like, say, using two or three tops instead of what could become seven to ten? That way, there's less of a mish-mash of styles and all of the work isn't heaped onto one artist (which might definitely cause a problem with getting things done, if that person happens to be busy). There could be a contest and the top two or three artists could work on the site artwork, instead of having too many artists chosen. I would definitely suggest a contest with either route we decide to choose, but I just thought I'd put that idea out there to avoid the possibility of having one really really really busy artist. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:56 pm

No, the contest is over.

Fish and Chips

Postby Popsicle » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:22 pm

No, the contest is over.

I think it's funny that you actually took time to make that. :grin:
Popsicle

Postby ADXC » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:24 pm

I don't know. I think Fish's portrayal is spot on. XD
ADXC

Return to Announcements and Feedback