New Forum Rule Added

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

New Forum Rule Added

Postby Ashley » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:33 pm

Friends, I'm really disappointed I even have to make this post, but it must be so. You have forced my (and the staff's) hand on this.

We're no longer going to allow cosmology (that is, creation/evolution) discussions of any sort. Last week's debacle in the "Expelled" thread was just the latest in a string of ugly debates that dates far longer. Once again, the behavior exhibited has demonstrated that the CAA community is just not mature enough to converse about this topic, and so for the common peace we are revoking the right to discuss it.

Any threads about this subject matter will be treated under a similiar policy of our prohibition against theology, politics, and debating in general: threads will be locked and repeat offenders will be issued strikes.

If you have any further questions on this, please feel free to PM me.
Ashley

Postby rocklobster » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 am

It is a real shame that we are not mature enough to handle these kind of topics. But they are quite a hotbed.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mathgrant » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:08 am

*nodnod* I'm certainly not mature enough to discuss such an issue. It confuses me. D=

But base 4 is something I actually know something about! XD
MOES
Wii: 6324 9743 7460 3573 || WarioWare DIY: 3009 1173 0734
mathgrant

Postby beau99 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:25 am

I'm going to say that I respect your decision, but I disagree with it.

I also STRONGLY disagree with you saying we're not mature enough.

I'll leave it at that.
beau99

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:58 am

While I can understand and respect the decision, I didn't really find too much evidence of immaturity in the aforementioned thread besides a few off-topic jokes here and there.

Really, I thought the discussion was rather mature on both a personal and academic level. Not that I took part in it or anything as I'm speaking from an outside view.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:59 am

As I said to someone else, I don't disagree with this rule. I think this is a very good rule.

However, the discussion in the Expelled thread was pretty mature and civil. If that's your idea of an "ugly debate" then uh, you haven't seen many ugly debates. XD

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:12 pm

I just avoid them anyways. No point in joining in most of the time.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:21 pm

well, i have to say i agree with the leadership on this one, there's a reason why there's a link to theology web available on the main forum page, just my opinion though
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby ich1990 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:01 am

Ok, this seems like a logical rule. I have to say, however, that the Expelled debate and ensuing pms have been extremely enlightening and enjoyable for me; I am glad that the topic came up.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:41 am

No discussions of Pokemon and Sim City then?

Bad jokes aside, while I have strong reservations against this rule and the reasoning behind it, I will accept your judgment on the situation as final.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mave » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:18 pm

Having read through that thread, I just think we've had uglier discussions over kid shows.
Mave

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:38 am

I honestly don't think she means we are not mature enough. I think she simply means that it's hard to keep things under control and that things tend to get out of hand. Which you must admit has happened many many times. Not just on the boards, but in the chat as well. Especially, with so many interesting in that one topic. You have different views that others may not like and that is what sparks up arguments/debates. Difference of opinion.. that's what it is, but some don't take kindly to it if it's not their own u_u

I'm sorry if that stepped on any body's toes, or if it all came out wrong :(
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:14 am

Mave (post: 1221588) wrote:Having read through that thread, I just think we've had uglier discussions over kid shows.

I agree.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:06 am

Some of us are mature enough, and some aren't, and that can cause problems.

And ditto on the kid show "debates."
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Ashley » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:23 am

I think you guys are grossly misunderstanding me--and those of you who PM'd me have heard me say this.

When I said "not mature enough," I was not speaking merely of this particular discussion, but of the whole topic. CAA's members are not mature enough to handle debates, or political discussions, or yes, even some "kid shows" (the One Piece debacle comes to mind).

Quite frankly, this should have already been covered by the "no-debate" rule, but considering I had several members PM me about this specific discussion, coupled with the fact that we have had this topic come up several times in the past all ending with locked threads culminated in my decision to make it extra clear that this topic was off-limits. I was not out to attack anyone personally, or to even comment on the particular "Expelled" thread; it was merely the latest in a long line of incidents

I'm sorry this was an unpopular decision, but sometimes that is the nature of leadership. I am bound to look out for CAA's ultimate good, even if it results in a torrent of unfavorable PMs or comments.
Ashley

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:34 am

Online discussions/arguments/debates (w/e you want to call it) differ from real life discussions/arguments/debates, because no one can see your true expression/intent behind what you're saying. There's no middle man to watch over it. We have all these people wanting to state their opinions at all once. Which may make it look like everyone's arguing with one another, but we don't know that for sure since it's online.

Having read through that thread, I just think we've had uglier discussions over kid shows
It's kinda sorry that we get worked up over kddy shows O.O
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby NekoChan_C » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:27 pm

I know I haven't yet posted on here much, but I had a few thoughts to share on this... I know personally that watching the proverbial fur fly during an online "debate" can be both painful and immensely enjoyable, depending on which side your own views align with. Even merely reading someone else's critique (or open disdain) of a favorite topic can be volatile. There is a time and place for all such occurances, both online and in daily life.

For example, the local zoo may not *always* be the best place to disucss the cruel treatment of animals, even though you would think the subject could be transitioned to quite easily... Although the forum is a place where Christian anime fans can safely come to indulge our shared passion, it does not inherently mean that any and all topics touched on by either our faith or our hobbies should be open and up for discussion. While I can certainly understand why people would be disgruntled with the decision to ban the debate of controversial issues, I must agree with Ashley... err on the side of caution, for the benefit of all parties involved.

Of course... now I'm quite interested in knowing what the fuss was all about in this instance... Is there any way to go back and read the posts that made this topic ban necessary?
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:00 pm

NekoChan_C wrote:Of course... now I'm quite interested in knowing what the fuss was all about in this instance... Is there any way to go back and read the posts that made this topic ban necessary?

Not really, because there wasn't one vicious discussion that prompted a ban. Rather, this issue has come up repeatedly and predictably, which eventually led to this decision. However, the thread referenced earlier is this one:
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=47830

I would personally urge everyone to address others via PM when this subject is raised. That's where most real discussion will take place.
uc pseudonym

Postby termyt » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 am

I thought the thread was very vicious. Just because vitriol is said politely does not mean it is a valid form of debate. I was very disappointed in that thread. It seems all we've learned in the past few years is how to sound civil while being cruel.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby NekoChan_C » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:58 am

termyt (post: 1221965) wrote: Just because vitriol is said politely does not mean it is a valid form of debate... It seems all we've learned in the past few years is how to sound civil while being cruel.

Well said. Although I have yet to go back and read the posts for myself, I must agree with this statement whole heartedly. :)
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:56 pm

A good way of reducing all those flame wars that clog up the forum.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Mave » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Ah I understand, I was under the impression that 1) this decision was made solely on the Expelled thread and that 2) admin thought that everyone on that specific thread acted immaturely.

I suppose the grief caused by many past threads cannot be made up by a single decent thread. If it's a cumulative issue (i.e. other threads of the same nature typically explode), then the decision makes sense.

And realistically, one cannot expect the community to remain "mature" consistently. The membership changes so often, we really don't know what to expect next.

It's unfortunate but so be it. OK. ^^
Mave

Return to Announcements and Feedback