New Feature: Who's in the chat? (Beta only)

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

New Feature: Who's in the chat? (Beta only)

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:21 pm

Hey everyone,

After much requesting and fretting about the hows and whys, I believe we've got the system somewhat stable. There's now a "who's in the chat" feature that's tentatively appearing on the front page.

Please note that this feature may disappear in the distant (or even not-to-distant) future, depending on whether it encourages the proper behaviors.

Anyway, have fun!

- Mith
Mithrandir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:11 pm

Hey, cool. It's nice to be able to see who's in there without going inside.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby RidleyofZebes » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:22 pm

Sweet! Thanks, Mith! I have an idea of how hard those things are to code. Excellent work! :D
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:42 am

It's the darndest thing. I just happened to be thinking today that CAA needs an option that shows who's in the chat when you log on. And lo and behold... creepy. =P
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Azier the Swordsman (post: 1192669) wrote:It's the darndest thing. I just happened to be thinking today that CAA needs an option that shows who's in the chat when you log on. And lo and behold... creepy. =P

I try to anticipate only what you would want. And before you ask, no, I will not add the hot tub to your private messages area.
Mithrandir

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks a million. Now I can go into the chat and not feel silly when I'm the only one.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:24 pm

Wow, what a nifty feature. Thanks.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:35 pm

Glad you like it.

This was one of those things that took a long time to figure out how to do, but once you can figure out how to get past some of the harder pieces, it's actually less difficult than I thought.
Mithrandir

Postby Amzi Live » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:11 pm

Dude!The feature is awesome!I hope you don't mind me asking.How did you learn this stuff?Did you study or learn it on your own?
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:25 pm

Well, I spent 6-7 years between undergrad and grad work studying computer science. After that, it's just a matter of diligence. A good understanding of php, mysql, html, javascript, css, and a few other concepts are all you really need to know to edit other peoples' stuff. Of course, if you're gonna write your own code from scratch, the theoretical background makes it much smoother.
Mithrandir

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:41 pm

XD awesome feature, Mith! I love it! ^_^
Thank you so much! *D*
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:22 am

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Very nice! Mith, you are a genius![/color][/SIZE][/font]

Image [font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="royalblue"]Win.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby RobinSena » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:21 am

Awesome, I just noticed it. :grin: Thanks.
RobinSena

Postby Amzi Live » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:49 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1192923) wrote:Well, I spent 6-7 years between undergrad and grad work studying computer science. After that, it's just a matter of diligence. A good understanding of php, mysql, html, javascript, css, and a few other concepts are all you really need to know to edit other peoples' stuff. Of course, if you're gonna write your own code from scratch, the theoretical background makes it much smoother.

Cool!I'm not sure on what to study,but one of my options is computer engineering.Let's see how it goes.:eyeroll:
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:52 pm

Do you know what you want to do? Are there specific things you think you would enjoy doing?
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:13 pm

It's a great feature that seems to have helped a lot :) Keep up the hard work.. but not to much. It seem like you do a lot for us already :) You should take a break here and there \o.o/
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Amzi Live » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:00 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1193042) wrote:Do you know what you want to do? Are there specific things you think you would enjoy doing?

Well,I'm kind of confused in what I really want to do,but I think that it would be to work as an audio engineer.Thing is that it's a really hard field to get in.So I'm planing in studying computer enginiering which would help me get a good job,and learn at the same time some stuff that I'll really need for audio engineering,and then work myself up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Return to Announcements and Feedback