Chat room problems

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Chat room problems

Postby Callisto » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:55 pm

Whenever I go into the chat room, it acts very odd. Nobody else I've observed seems to be having the problems, and I've lurked around the boards a bit and haven't read any posts about this. The problems in chat are never consistent. Sometimes I am unable to submit my messages. Sometimes I can only talk to the chatbot. Sometimes the entire room freezes, and the only remedy is if I submit text (which does not show up), which makes two lines of text from other users appear. After entering the page again a while later, everything works fine for about three minutes, then it either freezes or doesn't allow me to submit messages.

Browser version: Firefox 2.0.0.6

Connection speed: 36.0 Mbps

Computer specifications: Windows XP, new computer purchased in December: Dell Inspirion

Software that you have recently installed: n/a

Did the bug recently appear? If so, was it working on a different machine before? I just joined so, yes it recently appeared, and no I have not tried it elsewhere. I hope I'm not making a fool of myself by posting a report here...

URL from which the bug occurs, along with a description of where the bug happens http://www.christiananime.net/chat.php , it happens there...

Step - by - step instructions on how to reproduce the bug. (Please try and do this, it's very helpful) Since the problems are inconsistent, I'm afraid I can't be too specific on what I'm doing to cause them. Basically I click the link, I'm "introduced" into the chat like anyone else who enters, I see a few lines of conversation, then usually the whole thing freezes. Or after I see a few lines of conversation, I click "Bip On" radio button but it doesn't necessarily freeze after that, or after a few lines of conversation, I say "hello" or something, and THEN it freezes/just doesn't send the message. Yes, I've tried hitting ENTER and clicking the SEND button with the same result.

Any further information I'm really sorry if this is a known issue and I missed seeing it reported already, or if I'm making a fool of myself by posting it here... Thank you.
[SIGPIC]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9122/keybi4.png[/SIGPIC]
Callisto

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:57 pm

Hmm...

If there's no one else in the chat, it can be kinda buggy. And if there are a lot of people, it can be somewhat laggy (takes a long time to do stuff).

As for most of what you are describing, though, I'm kinda at a loss. It's possible there is some firefox bolt-on package (pop-up blocker, etc) that's preventing the submission engine from sending data. If I ever catch up with you in the chat, I'll see if I can help you troubleshoot it. It might be a few weeks, though. Sorry!
Mithrandir

Return to Announcements and Feedback