Tired of the flaming on Jam Session.

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Tired of the flaming on Jam Session.

Postby everdred12a » Thu May 03, 2007 7:17 pm

Before I start this thread, I'd like to say that I wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this. Putting it in the Jam Session itself seemed like the best idea at first because this thread concerns the forum as a whole. But, I chose to put it here in hopes that more people (mods included) would see it. If this topic SHOULD have been in the Jam Session, I sincerely apologize and hop a mod will move it there as opposed to locking it. Continuing...

The topic basically says it all: I'm tired of seeing so much flaming on the Jam Session board. I'm not saying the mods are bad about dealing with this sort of thing, I'm merely saying that I think the forum deserves a bit more attention. Up until now, it seems like Jam Session has been more of a self-policing board. But it's getting to the point where I don't want to go to Jam Session anymore because I KNOW I'm going to see something there that's just going to make me want to slap someone. Truthfully I may be responsible for a few crass comments here and there, and if I am, then I'm not any less guilty than anyone else there. Seriously, there seems to be a formula to it all:

A) User X makes a thread about band Y. Usually something like "Band Y is amazing. Does anyone else think so? Discuss.
B) User Z comes into said thread and... "Lol, Band Y *insert flaming comment here*"
C) *arguments ensue*
D) Thread ruined.

I'm not naming names here. Too many people are at fault to name them all. This happens all the time, and has happened too many times all in all. I think it's great that the Jam Session seems to have a more liberal approach taken to it in the way it's moderated, as in how you really have the freedom to discuss any type of music or band (as long as it remains within reason), and that's probably why I love it so much. But much the same, as Jam Session is probably my favorite sub-forum on CAA, I hate to see it degenerated to this state.

I guess what I'm getting at is this - If you go on the Jam Session, PLEASE stop flaming it. Think before you post; if you think you'll upset someone, then don't post. If you don't like a band, a style of music, or anything else about a thread, then just don't even read it. Come on people, it's common sense. And one day, it's gonna get to the point where it just has gone too far, and then the Jam Session will be ruined for everyone.

I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who feels this way. So come on guys, let's put forth an effort to make the Jam Session better for everyone.

everdred12a

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu May 03, 2007 8:03 pm

I agree with basically everything you said. And this doesn't only go for Jam Session, either. The Gamers Galore forum has gone through similar things in the past, and this should also apply to the anime and manga forums. So yeah, think before you type, and if you can't think of something nice, don't say anything at all.

And shut up about the Bambi reference, 'cause you all know it works here. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Stephen » Thu May 03, 2007 8:35 pm

I agree with you 100%. I have said it many times myself, that JS is not even a fun place to read/post anymore. But to be honest, I don't know how anything can change. For some reason, people feel the need to be ignorant and hurtful towards others on the board. Time after time, threads are locked or whatever because people decide to have a great theological debate over Linkin Park or whatever. Hopefully, people read this and rethink what they say and do on the board. But to be real, I think people have no plans on changing. ^^;;
Stephen

Postby Kkun » Fri May 04, 2007 4:22 am

I think it would be alright for me to quote Relient K out of context since we're talking about the Jam Session.

"I'm part of the problem, I confess
But I've got to get this off my chest
Let's extinguish the anguish for which we're to blame
and save the world from going down in flames"

So yeah. I've definitely been both person X and Y. I think it would be prudent for all of us to consider Paul's words that we should be "kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving one another even as God for Christ's sake forgave you" in Ephesians. I know I do, and I think if we're Christians, that is followers of Christ, then the sniping and harrassment over something as little as music has to stop. I'm guilty of it, and I'm aware of it, and I will attempt to make the necessary changes. Even if what I say most of the time is intended to humorous in an acerbic kind of way, I could be offending someone, so I need to be mindful of it. Thanks for posting this, e.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Ashley » Fri May 04, 2007 8:42 am

Actually, there IS something that can change.

When you see that formula starting to happen, click that little button to the bottom right of the post with the "!!"

That will instantly alert us mods that it needs to be checked out, and we can start cracking down on the flaming by handing out strikes/bans to repeat offenders.
Ashley

Postby Mithrandir » Fri May 04, 2007 10:15 am

Yup. "Report Post" is your friend. Check out the FAQ; flaming tears down community, and that's not something we generally tolerate here on CAA.
Mithrandir

Postby chibiphonebooth » Fri May 04, 2007 1:27 pm

oooooooooooh... THAT'S what that button isss....

I never even noticed it. :O
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Return to Announcements and Feedback