New features for the podcasts!

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

New features for the podcasts!

Postby Link Antilles » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:18 pm

I am happy to announce that we have a number of new features for the CAA podcasts:

1. RSS and Atom Feed Support: Tired of missing the show? You can now use a RSS or Atom feed aggregator to automatically download the shows at your convenience! -If you are confused by what RSS or Atom is, see Omega's post below.

2. Built in Flash Player: In future episodes, each show will now have it's own flash mp3 player directly on the show site. No more going to this window or waiting on that window. Just click and play!

3. Stat Tracker: Curious on how many times the show is downloaded? Now you can see! From this point on, all downloads will be counted and displayed right next to download link. Unfornately, we are not able to count past downloads.

All thanks to your feedback, the CAA podcasts will continue to grow! So, keep it coming!

Enjoy the new features,
LA

Edit: For those having trouble finding the shows, go here:
http://www.christiananime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=94
Link Antilles

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:21 pm

An RSS or Atom "feed" is a linked file on a site (in either RSS or Atom format) that notes the latest updates including new blog entries and podcasts. "Podcatchers" or RSS/Atom Feed Aggregators are programs that read these feeds and can list and download their podcasts. These programs provide the convenience of being able to automatically check for the latest podcasts and download them without having to browse on their hosted websites every single update. This is done by providing the program with the weblink of the feed. Note: If a program can only read one type of feed, giving it a feed with a different format can cause it to not detect the available podcasts correctly. So if a Podcatcher can only read RSS feeds, do not give it an Atom feed.

So, how do you use this? Download a podcatcher. When you start the program, tell it to "Subscribe to a Feed/Channel/Podcast," and it will ask for the URL of the feed. The CAA Podcasts feeds can be copied on their websites by right-clicking on the feed image buttons under "Get the Feed," and then copy its link location. Paste that link into the URL field for subscribing to the feed, and then the program should be able to read the feed and list the available podcast for download.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby rocklobster » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:53 am

Link Antilles wrote:I am happy to announce that we have a number of new features for the CAA podcasts:

1. RSS and Atom Feed Support: Tired of missing the show? You can now use a RSS or Atom feed aggregator to automatically download the shows at your convenience! -If you are confused by what RSS or Atom is, see Omega's post below.

2. Built in Flash Player: In future episodes, each show will now have it's own flash mp3 player directly on the show site. No more going to this window or waiting on that window. Just click and play!

3. Stat Tracker: Curious on how many times the show is downloaded? Now you can see! From this point on, all downloads will be counted and displayed right next to download link. Unfornately, we are not able to count past downloads.

All thanks to your feedback, the CAA podcasts will continue to grow! So, keep it coming!

Enjoy the new features,
LA

Ok, so when's the next general show gonna be?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:14 pm

the current version of winamp also has a feature where you can subscribe to podcasts and either listen to them streaming online, or download them to your computer through the rss feed

edit: i didn't know if anyone else was aware of this, but the rss feed link for both the gamecast and the radio podcast is exactly the same, i don't know if it's supposed to be this way or if it's just a glitch
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:35 pm

Yeshua-Knight wrote:edit: i didn't know if anyone else was aware of this, but the rss feed link for both the gamecast and the radio podcast is exactly the same, i don't know if it's supposed to be this way or if it's just a glitch

My bad, should work now. :sweat:

rocklobster wrote:Ok, so when's the next general show gonna be?

I cannot say at this time, but hopefully soon. We had some technical problems with the last and it was lost in production.
Link Antilles

Postby Angel37 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:12 pm

Link Antilles wrote:

I cannot say at this time, but hopefully soon. We had some technical problems with the last and it was lost in production.

:waah!: :waah!: :waah!:

And it was such a good episode too!!!!! I FINALLY GOT TO SAY MY LINE AND IT WAS LOST FOREVER! *sobs into Link's shoulder* You really DO fail!!!!

XD
Angel37

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:00 pm

Angel37 wrote: You really DO fail!!!!

XD

I have been waiting for *you* to say that. ;)
Link Antilles

Postby Angel37 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:23 pm

[quote="Link Antilles"]I have been waiting for *you* to say that. ]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angel37

Postby Neko Niisan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:14 pm

What is this feed image button you speak of, could someone please help this newb and tell me what I need to do to get a feed going that tells me when a new casts is uploading (and I have the software to do it already).

Thanks in advance.
Will insert something intelligent here later... maybe

Where I doth lurk:
[MySpace][Facebook][DeviantART][No I have no life]
Neko Niisan

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:58 pm

OtakuX wrote:What is this feed image button you speak of, could someone please help this newb and tell me what I need to do to get a feed going that tells me when a new casts is uploading (and I have the software to do it already).

Thanks in advance.
The webpages for the two CAA podcasts are on a different webserver. Here are the links to the two podcast websites:

CAA Radio
CAA Gamecast

On the website, you should see some image buttons on the sidebar to the right, under the text "Get the Feed." One of them says "RSS FEED" while the other says "ATOM FEED." The image buttons are really links to the feeds. So, just right-click on the appropriate feed button and copy the URL/link location. Then, in your podcatcher software, when it asks you for the feed URL, paste the feed link you just copied.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Neko Niisan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks much OA. Found it. ^^

Where I doth lurk:
Neko Niisan

Postby Neko Niisan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:05 am

Can anyone recommend a good/easy to use podcatcher?

Where I doth lurk:
Neko Niisan

Postby Omega Amen » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:12 pm

Neko Niisan wrote:Can anyone recommend a good/easy to use podcatcher?

One that I used for testing purposes was Juice which supports multiple OSes.

Also, popular media player software like Winamp and iTunes can subscribe to a podcast feed.

That is all I know, and I do not know if they are user-friendly enough.

Omega Amen

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:09 am

I-Tunes actually works as a Podcatcher... <.< >.> I just totally forgot this for the last 6 months...

All you have to do is rt-click the RSS feed button on the podcast website, copy the link, go to i-Tunes... hit ADVANCED at the top, click subscribe to podcast and paste the copied link in and hit OK. The Podcasts will be loaded to your Podcasts section with all of the benefits of any I-tunes linked podcast. (Place saved in listening, information and notes from the blog etc...)

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Neko Niisan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:29 pm

I dont have iTunes myself but I'll try the Juice one thanks.

Where I doth lurk:
Neko Niisan

Return to Announcements and Feedback