Saving/Transferring PM messages

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Saving/Transferring PM messages

Postby Mave » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:21 am

My PM box is filled with PMs that I don't want to delete (record purposes etc.). However, they contribute to my PM box overload. I would like to transfer them into my hard drive and I've been doing it by cutting&pasting into Microsoft Word, which is time consuming.

Eh, are there any better suggestions of how I can do this? Or am I the only whacko who saves my PMs?
Mave

Postby shooraijin » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:23 am

At the bottom is a little drop down box (just above the Page 1, 2, 3 ... thing). There's an option in that box to download selected messages in several formats. It's a little time consuming too if you have more than a few dozen messages but it beats cut and paste.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:20 pm

Actually, shooby is on the right track - but not quite there yet.

1. Get a list with the PMs you want to download.
2. Check the boxes on the right hand side next to all of them (there's a check-all box at the top to make this easier).
3. Use the pop-up box toward the bottom and chose: Download as xxxx (HTML, Text, CSV).
4. Go to the next page and repeat.

Let me know if it's not working right and I'll see if I can help out.
Mithrandir

Postby Mave » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:29 am

Thanks Shooby and OldMith for coming to my assistance.

I did the right-side check off boxes thing and saved files in txt and csv format (don't know what xml is).

I was expecting to save the files I checked off for that particular page but I think it did the whole PM box (sent messages included)! (0_0) I'll have to double-check the exact messages I've saved but I'm sure I can't have that many messages in one single message page alone.

I'm not complaining though. If it works in this fashion, it's a great backup plan. And this sure beats cut&pasting!
Mave

Return to Announcements and Feedback