The Fate of the Chat

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Postby Yumie » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:06 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I thank you for posting this, as the problem did seem quite persistent. Even worse among young teenagers. I also noticed a smiliar trend where someone would pretend to need pity or attention. Such as saying "I feel so lonely T__T I want to feel loved, will somebody give me an over-the-chatroom hug so I can feel all better?" or something. It is a cry for attention, and I do not like it.

I don't mind people using the chat as a tool for companionship, what I dissaprove of is people abusing the chat to go *beyond* mere companionship. There's not necessarily anything wrong with someone expressing their loneliness, what matters is what kind of attention they hope to derive by doing so.
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Yumie

Postby Debitt » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:56 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I thank you for posting this, as the problem did seem quite persistent. Even worse among young teenagers. I also noticed a smiliar trend where someone would pretend to need pity or attention. Such as saying "I feel so lonely T__T I want to feel loved, will somebody give me an over-the-chatroom hug so I can feel all better?" or something. It is a cry for attention, and I do not like it.

I don't frequent the chatroom by any means, but I agree with MSP - the pleaing for attention through the chat was something that I encountered a couple of times, and I think that's a problem just as much as the other bad behavior taking place. =/

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Ashley » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:04 pm

I continually realize why miss mangafanatic was mod'd. She's got l33t democractic skills. as i believe someone else said. anyone else putting up notices like this might get flamed. *raises toast to her*

Oh, I don't know, I think she might have picked that up from her sensei. =P
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:00 pm

Ashley wrote:
I continually realize why miss mangafanatic was mod'd. She's got l33t democractic skills. as i believe someone else said. anyone else putting up notices like this might get flamed. *raises toast to her*

Oh, I don't know, I think she might have picked that up from her sensei. =P

MUST. . . BOW. . . TO. . . SENSEI! CAN'T. . . RE. . .SIST!

XD

I DID learn from the best. :hug:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Silent Hunter » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:10 pm

...was I out of line for doing this : someone was feeling down about something and I said something to the effect of "/me gives (whoever it was) a reasuring hug" ( or something like that)

[color=#000000]Me: "Hey, what's her last name?"

Brett: "Doesn't matter. It's going to change anyway."

Brett: "Why do they call it tourist season if you can't shoot them?"

[/color]
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Silent Hunter

Postby Sweet Mercury » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:42 am

Yumie wrote:Quite true. Once you type in our web address, you enter CAA land. CAA land is not a democracy, it's a. . . benevolent dictatorship. XD
So, like most message boards, it's a cyberspace version of Bentham's Panopticon?
"I have determined neither to laugh nor to weep over the actions of men, but merely to understand them." - Benedict de Spinoza
Sweet Mercury

Postby Sweet Mercury » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:45 am

Mangafanatic wrote:Members of CAA--
1 Peter 2:12
Be careful how you live among your unbelieving neighbors. Even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will believe and give honor to God when he comes to judge the world.
[Remember, not everyone here at CAA is a Christian.]
If it helps, I've never been insulted or thought less of anyone for anything I've seen in the chat. Everyone has ideals that they fail, at times, to uphold, regardless of the ideals that they have chosen.

In all honesty, I'm more "offended" by the few non-Christian people I've seen in there who were only trying to start trouble.
"I have determined neither to laugh nor to weep over the actions of men, but merely to understand them." - Benedict de Spinoza
Sweet Mercury

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:54 pm

Silent Hunter wrote:...was I out of line for doing this : someone was feeling down about something and I said something to the effect of "/me gives (whoever it was) a reasuring hug" ( or something like that)

Not at all, I would think. It strikes me as a kind response, a far cry from the type of thing we're objecting to. The person you were quoting was objecting to the chat being used as a whining billboard, in any case.

Sweet Mercury wrote:So, like most message boards, it's a cyberspace version of Bentham's Panopticon?

I think others tend to stress this aspect because of how prevalent the belief is that the first amendment allows members free reign.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:12 pm

Sweet Mercury wrote:So, like most message boards, it's a cyberspace version of Bentham's Panopticon?

And, just so you know, this one of me and Yumie's jokes, because Theo from the Cosby Show once said about his class room that "When you step through that door, you enter. . . Theo land. Now, Theo Land is a benevolent dictatorship, ruled by yours truly, Theodore." We just adapt it for CAA as a joke between sisters. My apologies to all those who aren't Yumie's sister. . . Oh, wait. That's all of you. XD
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby shooraijin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:52 pm

You, sir, are cool. I've never heard the Panopticon ever even mentioned in casual conversation. Eight billion cool points duly assigned.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Silent Hunter » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:15 pm

shooraijin wrote:You, sir, are cool. I've never heard the Panopticon ever even mentioned in casual conversation. Eight billion cool points duly assigned.
*does a search for what Panopticon is*
btw - thanks for answering my question UC P

[color=#000000]Me: "Hey, what's her last name?"

Brett: "Doesn't matter. It's going to change anyway."

Brett: "Why do they call it tourist season if you can't shoot them?"

[/color]
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Silent Hunter

Postby Sweet Mercury » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:42 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I think others tend to stress this aspect because of how prevalent the belief is that the first amendment allows members free reign.
It seems that people get all to caught up in their "rights" while conveniently forgetting that the CAA is the sole property of Ashley. (She's the only owner, correct?) It's would be the same as complaining about someone restricting first amendment rights if a person asked another person to not swear in their home.

mangafanatic wrote:And, just so you know, this one of me and Yumie's jokes, because Theo from the Cosby Show once said about his class room that "When you step through that door, you enter. . . Theo land. Now, Theo Land is a benevolent dictatorship, ruled by yours truly, Theodore." We just adapt it for CAA as a joke between sisters. My apologies to all those who aren't Yumie's sister. . . Oh, wait. That's all of you. XD

Ha. Well it's true. Ashley can run things however she wants. She sets a standard, we can either follow it or leave.

shooraijin wrote:You, sir, are cool. I've never heard the Panopticon ever even mentioned in casual conversation. Eight billion cool points duly assigned.
I am cool. Enough said. :thumb:
Actually, it's a relatively good comparison. in the Panopticon, order was maintained by the fact that the knowledge that the guards could at anytime be watching in secret. In the same way, people on message boards never know when a moderator will find an offensive post an bring down the cyber-hammer of cyber-justice. (Well, we hope there is more incentive to behave other than punishment, we aren't criminals after all.)
Sweet Mercury

Postby Puguni » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:38 pm

Why couldn't you just ban someone from the chat?
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Stephen » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:04 pm

Because the problem lies with far more then one person. The problem really is an attitude. One that, "well if no mods see it, its ok" And that is the wrong way to fix a problem.
Stephen

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:12 pm

Sweet Mercury wrote:n the same way, people on message boards never know when a moderator will find an offensive post an bring down the cyber-hammer of cyber-justice.

We prefer Mithy's USB2.0 clue-by-four (available at all your fine mod shops!)

:lol:
Mithrandir

Postby Sweet Mercury » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:52 pm

Mithrandir wrote:We prefer Mithy's USB2.0 clue-by-four (available at all your fine mod shops!)

:lol:

Hmm, how does that compare to the FireWire ready Thumbscrews?
Sweet Mercury

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:55 pm

It's quite as good, but it DOES get increadible milage!
Mithrandir

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:28 pm

Puguni wrote:Why couldn't you just ban someone from the chat?

Ark pretty much answered your question. I just wanted to add that we do ban people from the chat, but if we started going after every single offender it would be almost as much work as policing the chat in the first place.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kanerou » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:17 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Same with Siggy, he's practically never on the boards, but he's almost always in the chat, and it just wouldn't be the same if I couldn't stop by and see Siggy every day.

If they killed the chat, he'd have to roam the boards with us lesser mortals. ;) Love ya, Siggy.
"You've gotta speak about those things you don't currently see as though they already exist. Back in the beginning, God didn't look into space and say, 'Gee, it's dark.' He called light into existence."

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1218170) wrote:Also, I hope never to hear "Nate" and "prance" in the same sentence again . . .
Kanerou

Postby JesusFreak84 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:38 pm

Sorry to gravedig, but this thread came up in chat, and I was not previously aware of it. Something I've seen other chatrooms do is run a bot that reads the chat and kicks if certain words come up. This would also be a way to enforce the D.N.D. list. Just a thought. [/idea]
Papist Pest :angel:

http://jesusfreak84.livejournal.com
http://www.adorem.us/forum
http://www.omegarock.com
Warning: I'm prone to the following--
:rant::comp::bang::poke::forehead:
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?" (Plagiarized from Mithradir.)
JesusFreak84

Postby meboeck » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:44 pm

JesusFreak84 wrote:Sorry to gravedig, but this thread came up in chat, and I was not previously aware of it. Something I've seen other chatrooms do is run a bot that reads the chat and kicks if certain words come up. This would also be a way to enforce the D.N.D. list. Just a thought. [/idea]

That feature - or a similar one, I'm not sure exactly - has been added since this thread was started.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:27 pm

Aww. I didn't realize how horrible and serious the issue is. I've been new to CAA recently, and I've met some awesome Christian people on the chat. But sometimes people get carried away... which is a shame. I may have actually said something once... which is oops.

I love the people I meet in chat, and altough it keeps me from getting out into the real world and experiencing things like... I dunno, say light -opens curtains and hisses- I would really miss it. I've learned from this, I just hope other people have too...

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Previous

Return to Announcements and Feedback