CAA Live Chat (Chat v 3.0) is now available. Here's your Christmas Present CAA.

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Postby Tommy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:09 am

Mithrandir wrote:OK. I tried really hard to get your christmas present ready everyone, and here it is.

For those of you who want to help beta test this, here it is:
http://christiananime.net/chat2.php

Instructions can be found here:
http://christiananime.net/help_chat2.php

Things of note:
1. This may not yet work right in IE. I'm still working on work arounds.
2. Safari (and opera) probably won't scroll right.
3. "Bips" don't work now (and may never - javascript + sound = iffy).
4. This system does not use any java, but make sure javascript is enabled (I think it has to be or you can't use this site at all).

This is mostly just to let you know you can get colors. Please let me know what systems and browsers (versions if you can find them) do / don't work.

Let's not clamor for features just yet, though, please. I know we have a long way to go still. This is very much a beta and a work in progress. I've put... let's see... About 30 of the last 48 hours into this and it's warping my brain. I'll give more later. For now, have fun.

EDIT: Here's the list of browsers that have worked for someone at some time:

Firefox 1.0
Firefox 1.0.4 on Win 95 (geeze. upgrade uc! :lol: )
Firefox 1.0.7
Firefox 1.5 on something
IE 6.0 on ME
IE 6.0 on Win98

Apparently, people have had mixed success with some of these, though. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm getting lots of reports of that "blank white screen" that I'm going to have to actually see to trouble shoot.

So anyway, if you are using one of these and it DOESN'T work for you, you may need to enable javascript or lighten up your security settings - if you know how to view the javascript error log and can PM me with more info / error messages that would be awesome!

Please let me know what you're using and if it works.

Yeah, I got the done loading blank page as well. Also whenever I go into the chat all it reads is:

And nothing happens so I haven`t been chatting for awhile.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:27 pm

FadedOne wrote:UC: do you have any suggestions about what would need updating? none of my browsers are recommending plugins or updates, but computers are weird like that.

Unfortunately, no. My luck with such programs has been less than encouraging. You can try to update manually with such sites as the following if you are using Firefox, but I'm not sure how Microsoft handles plugins.
https://pfs.mozilla.org/plugins/?application=firefox
uc pseudonym

Postby SpikeSpiegel306 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:37 pm

Just updated to Firefox 1.5 to see if that made any difference...it didnt. Still getting the thought provoking white screen.

EDIT: Oh, and on the Javascript consol it doesnt even acknowledge that I tried to open the chat link or chat help link.
SpikeSpiegel306

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:12 pm

Here's a bug for me:

I can't see other people's posts until I post. So, if I say "hello", nothing happens until I post again, at which point I get a deluge of posts that were going on in the meantime.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:14 pm

And now I can't see anything.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:26 pm

Kaligraphic wrote:I bring a report of "mostly successful" with Opera 8.5 (WinXP).

I noticed only two issues:
1: Automatic scrolling did not occur
2: Clearing the view prevented further updates

Aside from those issues, it seems to work as designed.

I can confirm #1.

Also, scrolling with a wheel mouse in Firefox 1.0.4 with WinXP doesn't work. Other than that, it works great.

EDIT: Arrow keys don't scroll either.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:37 am

Fascinating - this chatroom seems to have the ability to penetrate firewalls. Cool.
bigsleepj

Postby Slater » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:51 am

and now many of us are more aware of why Java is so popular... It was made for extensive compatability.
Slater

Postby shooraijin » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:06 am

Those of you getting the white screen, try

http://www.christiananime.net/chat2.php

If you log in with www. normally, then you'll need to do it here (Mith has been lazy with his URLs :P ). It works fine for me with FF 1.5 on Windows 2000, and Camino 1.0b1 on Mac OS X.

Slater wrote:and now many of us are more aware of why Java is so popular... It was made for extensive compatability.

I'm quite sure you didn't mean this to be as snide as it sounds, did you?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:37 am

Slater wrote:and now many of us are more aware of why Java is so popular... It was made for extensive compatability.

Had Java not be intentionally poluted by microsoft in order to supress a market that could threaten them, then yes, it could have been a good thing. It's not, though. If you can't take my word for, read the lawsuits. I've got better things to do though, than dig up urls justifying a technology decision I made to some one who apperently is unhappy with my totall lack of technical prowress.

*resists the urge to be mean - don't know why though, someone else didn't seem to*
Mithrandir

Postby Slater » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:21 pm

Access denied :\
Slater

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:42 pm

Read the directions, slater. USE THE LITE SKIN!!! Your skin is currently set to "caa_default."
Mithrandir

Postby Slater » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:54 pm

oooh... j00 changed the thread! H4X!
:\ Sorry, but Lite is always a turnoff for me. Too bright, long exposure makes my eyes sore.
Slater

Postby Omega Amen » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:58 pm

Mithrandir, the new chat works for me on a x86_64 build of Firefox 1.0.7 in Gentoo Linux 2.6.14. So, it looks this implementation can be quite compatible if the browser settings are set correctly.

I am just curious what technology is driving this new chat. If it is not Java, is it Javascript? I am asking purely out of curiosity.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:02 pm

Well, slater, you can't chat then. Also, we're removing BOTH of the current skins soon, so you'll have to use the one we change everything to.
Mithrandir

Postby Ssjjvash » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:29 pm

I'm on Safari, but I still get a white screen, just like every other time.

*edit:
well, after I finally switched to lite it worked.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby shooraijin » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:34 pm

"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby TurkishMonky » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:39 pm

another thing i noticed - darkolivegreen has a square symbol after it and dosesn't show up in the chat. just an fyi
TurkishMonky

Postby meboeck » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:58 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Is it possible that many of the users for whom Firefox does not work correctly have simply not downloaded all the necessary plugins? I know that the majority of flash applications do not work with those computers on which I have only basic Firefox. Also, is Quicktime or any other program required?

Could someone please expand on this? Because I am still getting the white screen, and I have no clue why.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Maledicte » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:27 pm

*sobs* But...my dark mode! My lovely gray! Is gone! waahhhhhhh

*eyes burn out*
Maledicte

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:02 pm

meboeck wrote:Could someone please expand on this? Because I am still getting the white screen, and I have no clue why.

Read the first post again. You have to switch to CAA Lite to use it.
Mithrandir

Postby Arnobius » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:30 pm

Mithrandir wrote:Had Java not be intentionally poluted by microsoft in order to supress a market that could threaten them, then yes, it could have been a good thing. It's not, though. If you can't take my word for, read the lawsuits. I've got better things to do though, than dig up urls justifying a technology decision I made to some one who apperently is unhappy with my totall lack of technical prowress.

*resists the urge to be mean - don't know why though, someone else didn't seem to*

I don't know much of Java, but I do know mine is from Sun, which I thought created the original. Anyhow, are there still different versions of Java out there? I thought MS lost their case and couldn't use their own version. Am I clueless?

edit: Tried it earlier. It seemed to be uneven in scrolling and there was a lag in post time but it worked. I had FF 1.5 (no extensions or add ons) and had Trend Micro Internet Security for my Antivirus and firewall. Also had a hardware firewall router.
Arnobius

Postby shooraijin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:07 pm

Well, for me it's seizing up whenever I chat on it. I'll bug Mith when he gets on IM later.

shooraijin

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:12 pm

There's horrible lag. And it's not only me.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby meboeck » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:51 am

Mithrandir wrote:Read the first post again. You have to switch to CAA Lite to use it.

I did. Still no change.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby shooraijin » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:23 am

We've fixed a bug with the font handling. Try again, Shao.

shooraijin

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:09 pm

Thanks.
Shao Feng-Li

Previous

Return to Announcements and Feedback