Steampunk Books?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Steampunk Books?

Postby steenajack » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:14 am

Sorry mods if this is the wrong place to post this.

Hey guys! I really want to get into the steampunk genre, but I have no idea where to start. Are there any titles that fit this genre you would recommend to me?

Content wise: Well, I'm basically open to anything so long as there are no graphic depictions of gore/blood, sex, explicit language, or anything bashing Christianity (though most religious themes don't bother me). I should also mention that I'm able to read more violence than see more violence if you get my meaning. I just don't want to read anything that just get's.....gross or too sensual.

So yeah, I'm basically trying out a new genre. OH! And feel free to talk about your favorite titles of this genre here. I know there has got to be a few steampunk fans here. :3!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby TWWK » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:13 am

Check out the Wikipedia article on steampunk works.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:08 am

I personally have read The Boneshaker by Cherie Priest which is a great steampunk book that I highly recommend. It's part of a trilogy called The Clockwork Century that's all steampunk.

Steampunk edited by Jeff VanderMeer and Ann VanderMeer is also pretty highly regarded. It's a collection of short stories that are steampunk.

The Difference Engine is considered a steampunk classic

The Somnambulist is one that I'm looking into, myself- it looks simply fanscinating!
Atria35

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:42 am

Once again, I have to bring up is the Mortal Engines series by Philip Reeve (who has also written a steampunk space opera series called Larklight - I haven't read it yet).

It's set in the far future, but it definitely fits in the genre: semi-Victorian adventurers and attitudes, lost technology, airships and a post-apocalyptic setting. Also, it's got cities that drive around and eat each other. Currently, there are six books in the series (five of which that have been released in the US), split into the now-concluded main series (Mortal Engines, Predator's Gold, Infernal Devices, and A Darkling Plain) and the Fever Crumb prequels [Fever Crumb, A Web of Air (not in the US)].

In the main series, the first and last books are the best (especially the last), and Predator's Gold is the weakest, but they're all enjoyable, and you have to read all of them to understand the last one.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Makachop^^128 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:46 am

I personally really like Stephen Hunter, he's a really good writer, but I don't know about the content thing, but He's a good writer :) very Steampunk.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby steenajack » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:56 pm

Thank you guys so much! This is very helpful. :D!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:07 pm

I don't think The Difference Engine is a good suggestion. Sure it's considered by many to be the book that started the genre but I couldn't get past the first 50 pages (lots of sex and some of it quite grapic). I don't know if the rest of the book is different, you'd hope so.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:59 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1444702) wrote:I don't think The Difference Engine is a good suggestion. Sure it's considered by many to be the book that started the genre but I couldn't get past the first 50 pages (lots of sex and some of it quite grapic). I don't know if the rest of the book is different, you'd hope so.

You know, I only got about 10 pages in- I was in the middle of reading a whole ton of books, so it got pushed aside. So if it's that bad, then yeah, I'd recommend skipping it. THere are other genre-setting steamunk books with better content.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:04 am

Airman by Eoin Colfer

Pretty much totally clean (a little violence and swearing) with a plot that is best described as Steampunk Batman in Ireland. Very well written, adventurous, and certainly not as obnoxious as most young adult novels (even though it is marketed as such). Check it out.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby steenajack » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:21 pm

ich1990 (post: 1444787) wrote:Airman by Eoin Colfer

Pretty much totally clean (a little violence and swearing) with a plot that is best described as Steampunk Batman in Ireland. Very well written, adventurous, and certainly not as obnoxious as most young adult novels (even though it is marketed as such). Check it out.

Oh! I love that author! He worte Artemis Fowl, right? I have a feeling I'll like that book. :3!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby ich1990 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:28 pm

steenajack (post: 1444898) wrote:Oh! I love that author! He worte Artemis Fowl, right? I have a feeling I'll like that book. :3!

Yes, it is the same author. For comparison's sake, I liked Airman as well as, if not better than the first four Artemis Fowl books. It was certainly better than the later installments in the series.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:11 pm

I just thought of one: The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby steenajack » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 pm

BTW, thank you guys so much for all these titles, I really appreciate it.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Belated, I know, but I just finished an awesome steampunk calledLeviathan by Scott Weterfeld. It definitely is the first book in a series, and I will be watching for when the next one comes out!
Atria35

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Atria35 (post: 1462954) wrote:Belated, I know, but I just finished an awesome steampunk calledLeviathan by Scott Weterfeld. It definitely is the first book in a series, and I will be watching for when the next one comes out!

Well, at least you liked it. I thought the concept was excellent (World War 1, only with dieselpunk vs. biopunk!) but the execution was lacking. Things like reliance on catchphrases and slang grated on me, and it just felt like it lacked a real spark. I dunno; I guess I'll have to read it again, but it didn't really endear itself to me.

Also, the second one (Behemoth) appears to be out - maybe that'll change my mind about the series.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Atria35 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Not every book is for everyone- I thought it was great, but I can get caught up in world-building, and genuinely liked the characters- enough that I may be riding the high off of that and not able to notice many flaws.

But I will definitely be checking out the second book!
Atria35

Postby Tamachan319 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm

ich1990 (post: 1444787) wrote:Airman by Eoin Colfer

I double recommend this book. I first heard it on audiobook, and I'd recommend that as well. (The somewhat Irish accent is great!)
Atria35 (post: 1462954) wrote:Belated, I know, but I just finished an awesome steampunk calledLeviathan by Scott Weterfeld. It definitely is the first book in a series, and I will be watching for when the next one comes out!

I'll also double recommend this book. I like it quite a bit. Behemoth, the second book in the series, is also quite good. The major content issue is that Darwinism and evolution are very important parts of the story. There are a couple other issues that I can't remember right now, but I don't think those are anything major.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:12 am

Tamachan319 (post: 1463072) wrote:I'll also double recommend this book. I like it quite a bit. Behemoth, the second book in the series, is also quite good. The major content issue is that Darwinism and evolution are very important parts of the story. There are a couple other issues that I can't remember right now, but I don't think those are anything major.

The funny thing is, it's used incorrectly/referred to in the wrong way. 'Darwinists', in the book, are people who are for genetic modifications for animals. Evolution is mentioned in passing. And the author messes with history with it- Darwin didn't only theorize evolution, his main contribution was discovering DNA.

But the genetic modification of animals is very important to the story since, as Davidizer mentioned, WWI is being waged among people who are Darwinists (think the gen. modified animals are superior), and the Clankers (people who believe that machines are superior).
Atria35

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:22 pm

rocklobster (post: 1454930) wrote:I just thought of one: The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix.

I just finished the third book in that series, very good books.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Return to Book Corner