Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:06 am

Did anyone here read these as a kid? Sure they're ghost-written nowadays (the original writer died a VERY long time ago), but I thought they were pretty enjoyable. It was fun to try to solve the mystery alongside them, and I loved the team-up books.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:28 am

I never read Nancy Drew, but a lot of Hardy Boys. I did not enjoy them that much, though they were entertaining. I was a bigger fan The Three Detectives, a series of books ostensibly written by Alfred Hitchcock though in actually written by Robert Arthur, a frequent collaborator of Hitch, who just endorsed the series (and sometimes appeared in them as a mentor character to the children adventurer detectives). Though more popular outside of the states, currently, than in it, I still feel that its better detective stories in many respects than the Hardy Boys. The plots ranged from creepy to bizarre and the clues themselves were picked apart by the three characters to understand it. Also, I found the main characters (especially the Mycroft Holmes-esque leader) to be more interesting than Frank and Joe Hardy combined.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:06 pm

I read those Three Detectives books! I thought they were a great series. It's a shame they weren't more popular.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Beau Soir » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:12 pm

I know that I used to read Nancy Drew books, but I really don't remember much about them. I preferred other genres like those of the old Girls of Many Lands (by the American Girl company) books. I think my brother used to read Hardy Boys though.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:28 pm

rocklobster (post: 1434807) wrote:I read those Three Detectives books! I thought they were a great series. It's a shame they weren't more popular.

They're very popular in Europe - so popular that in Germany the books continued in German to form a seperate series. Not that I read those...
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Nancy Drew has been written and re-written many times over the years. I happend to own my mom's 1950's copies when I was a kid.... back when she solved mysteries by finding a dirty boot in the backseat of the bad guy's car. You really could tell the times through those- she was waiting around for her boyfriend to graduate college so they could marry, her friends fell into weight stereotypes (which I rather resented because I was a tad pudgy myself, but that didn't make me stupid or not like sports!), and the clothing was, of course, skirts and blouses.

I've read a few of the new and updated versions, but I'm past the age where I'd devour them. They do a decent job of the stories and integrating modern technology (and better sleuthing skills!), but with technology changing so fast, I think that the earliest of the updated ones are already out of date.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:40 pm

I read a bunch of the Nancy Drew books, and I probably liked them at some point, but before too long they annoyed me. Certain facts were inconsistent throughout the series (Nancy meets Ned in one of the first 20 or so books, but later it says they'd known each other since they were kids :eyebrow:), and Nancy was a little too nice. My little sister devoured every book she could get her hands on, though.

I never read the Hardy Boys, though I remember when I was really little mockingly saying, "Hardy boys, smarty boys", whatever that meant. XD Some lady at the library overheard it and thought it was a riot.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:16 pm

I read Hardy Boys.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Return to Book Corner