Christian "Self Help" books

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Christian "Self Help" books

Postby Aedin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Does anyone know of any books that would help someone like, learn about how much God loves them? I just really need to get closer to God, and sometimes books help me out.
Everybody was haiku writing, Their wits were fast as lightning
In fact it was a little bit frightening, But they wrote with expert rhyming
Aedin

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Um...the Bible?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:45 pm

One that I hear bandied about a LOT of "The Purpose-Driven Life". I haven't read it myself, but I haven't heard anything but good things about it.

EDIT: Depending on your particular denomintaion, this can be..... not the best reading. I read a few of the reviews against it, and it does misquote/use some of Scripture, and also seems to be more for the Born-Again than for anyone else.

The Vertical Self: How Biblical Faith Can Help Us Discover Who We Are in An Age of Self Obsession is also supposed to be fairly good.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Rogers » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:03 pm

I don't think this is something that a book can teach you. Some books I would recommend to begin to think about the topic would be The Sacred Romance by John Eldredge. My church is doing a sermon series on this exact topic, and I would highly recommend you listen to it:

http://theorchardcommunity.com/series

It's called Mirrors. I think it will be going for four to six weeks, so check the site often. Tell me what you think about it.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Aedin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:09 pm

I'll check those books out when I get the chance.

And to ShiroiHikari, I know we're supposed to read the Bible and all, and I wasn't discounting it. It's just, some of us have a hard time understanding the Bible, so we need help figuring out how to interpret it, and then also I've read books that helped me think about verses in new ways.
Aedin

Postby Mr. Rogers » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Aedin (post: 1422039) wrote:I'll check those books out when I get the chance.

And to ShiroiHikari, I know we're supposed to read the Bible and all, and I wasn't discounting it. It's just, some of us have a hard time understanding the Bible, so we need help figuring out how to interpret it, and then also I've read books that helped me think about verses in new ways.

Don't forget to check out those MP3 messages.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:09 pm

Aedin wrote: I know we're supposed to read the Bible and all, and I wasn't discounting it. It's just, some of us have a hard time understanding the Bible, so we need help figuring out how to interpret it, and then also I've read books that helped me think about verses in new ways.

This is where it is good to have a study bible.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Kaori » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:33 am

Books sometimes help me out spiritually, too, so I feel like I ought to be able to suggest something like what you’re looking for, but I really can’t think of any books specifically about the subject of how much God loves us . . . besides the Bible.

No matter what season I am going through, or what mood I am in, I have found that the Psalms have always spoken to me in a very personal way. I would really recommend spending some time reading them; the ups and downs of life are all there, so you’re bound to find something you can identify with. Also, the way that even the lament psalms begin with a complaint, often expressing anger, sorrow, or despair, but then end with a statement of trust in God, gives them a distinct sublimating effect. So although you were looking for other Christian books, I would strongly suggest reading Psalms.

Aedin wrote:It's just, some of us have a hard time understanding the Bible, so we need help figuring out how to interpret it, and then also I've read books that helped me think about verses in new ways.

Roy Mustang wrote: This is where it is good to have a study bible.

Speaking of which, here’s a study Bible that can be read (or in some places, listened to) for free online. The same website (CCEL) also has a Bible Browser, that you can use to view a passage of scripture and commentary on that passage side-by-side, which is very handy. Both are great resources for those passages that are hard to understand; I’ve been using them myself recently.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Aedin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions.
Aedin

Return to Book Corner