What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Re: What are you reading?

Postby rocklobster » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:43 pm

Started book 2 of Mortal Instruments.
rocklobster

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:58 pm

I've been reading Les Miserables for... quite some time. It's very long. And kind of hard to get through.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Sheenar » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:20 am

Yuki-Anne wrote:I've been reading Les Miserables for... quite some time. It's very long. And kind of hard to get through.

Good to know I'm not the only one. haha
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Adie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:38 pm

Just started The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.
Adie

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Finished The Great Gatsby yesterday, and starting on Insurgent (I couldn't find it in stores for ages ;-;).
I've also got the first infernal devices book, but I'm slowly losing interest :T
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Adie » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Sovereign by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee, from the "Books of Mortals" series.
I loved the first book, but thought the second was rather underwhelming (until the end chapters). I'm hoping the third book goes back to the level of quality that was found in the first. But my favorite character died in the first chapter, so... we'll see how things progress. :p
Adie

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Started the grand finale for Ranger's Apprentice, The Royal Ranger. Poor princess Maddie. She was so bratty she got kicked out of the castle.
rocklobster

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:13 am

Howl's Moving Castle. I enjoy this book immensely. I'm just laughing at the random little moments where it's exactly like the anime (like Howl cracking eggs one-handed and throwing the shells to Calcifer), while other more relevant things are very different. Nonetheless, I love the writer's style, and I'm glad Panda recommended it.

Don't shoot me, but I still like the anime better.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Don't worry, I like the anime a little better too :3
My favorite part of the book is probably just the chapter names XD;;
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:00 am

Started The Maze Runner yesterday.
rocklobster

Postby Schokolade » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:04 pm

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. It's for an English class and... surprisingly bearable. I won't have time to read something I'm interested until I'm finished. I need to knock out the last book of Infernal Devices or I'm just never going to get to it.
Schokolade

Postby Hikaru » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 pm

I've been reading a book called "dark to mortal eyes" it's really good and sort of a thriller. It's about a spiritual battle between good and evil.
Hikaru

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Started The Book Thief last night.
rocklobster

Postby Xeno » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:43 pm

I've become absolutely captivated by The King in Yellow by Robert Chambers. I have Can Such Things Be? (An Inhabitant of Carcosa) lined up next. Thank True Detective for getting me into the inspiration material for H.P. Lovecraft.
Xeno

Postby Jonathan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:00 pm

I'm reading "The Silmarillion" by J.R.R. Tolkien and "Just as I am: The Autobiography of Billy Graham" by Billy Graham.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm about half-way through Howl's Moving Castle. I had started reading the book a few years ago after I saw the movie but never got around to finishing it before I had to take it back to the library then I kind of forgot about it until recently. I still love it and I can't decide which one I like more: the book or the movie. ^_^
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby rocklobster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 am

Reading Vampire Syndrome, a book I got from the writer himself! Even got it autographed!
rocklobster

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:40 am

Wow rocklobster! Cool. :D
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby FourFourSeven » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:56 pm

"Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege: 1942 - 1943" by Antony Beevor
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne - Blech, I'm just glad I'm done with it and the paper for it is written and I never have to look at it again. I know the kind of humor he was going for with this, but...it was so long it just got way too ridiculous way too fast. No thanks.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Jonathan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm currently reading "Power For Living" by Jamie Buckingham.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby Lynna » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:21 am

Just finished Scarlet, the sequel to Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I was skeptical of the series (The Lunar Chronicles) at first, but now I've officially stopped caring that they aren't perfect. I love them, and I'll be getting Cress out from the library soon...If I don't buy it first.
Lynna

Postby Adie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:43 am

Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It was lovely.
Started A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.
Adie

Postby Kaori » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Since I last posted in this thread:

Finished reading v. 4 (the final volume) of Fr. Hopko's catechism series The Orthodox Faith. No new comments on this one.

Recently reread Humility by Andrew Murray, The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence, and The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, all of which are excellent.

Currently reading Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent (interesting) and Orthodox Theology: An Introduction by Vladimir Lossky (mind-blowing and unbelievably dense).

I'm wondering if there is anyone on CAA who likes the Chronicles of Narnia but hasn't read A Wind in the Willows. Fans of the former should definitely read the latter. A Wind in the Willows does not have allegory that is as consistent throughout the book as it is in The Chronicles of Narnia, but there are some particular places where the Christian content of the book is extremely clear to an adult reader (e.g. the chapter where Jesus Christ appears in an allegorical form), and it's incredibly beautiful. The book is also wonderfully affirming of the value of life and of physical creation, which is in line with Christian doctrine that is sound and not influenced by Gnostic tendencies. It is a children's book, but I've reread it twice now as an adult, and my appreciation for it has only deepened.
Kaori

Postby John_Smith » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:06 pm

Kaori wrote:I'm wondering if there is anyone on CAA who likes the Chronicles of Narnia but hasn't read A Wind in the Willows.

*raises hand*
And its wikipedia page makes a reference to Theodore Roosevelt right at the top... I'm definitely going to have to read this! That is, sometime after I finish The Silmarillion. It's blasphemy that I haven't read this yet count myself as a Middle-earth nerd.
John_Smith

Postby GeneD » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:36 am

I recently finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Only two more to go \(^_^)/ but... they only get longer from here on out T_T. I'm still enjoying them, but man, this one felt like it lasted forever.

I'm now reading Raising Steam, the latest Discworld book.
GeneD

Postby Xeno » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:36 am

I finished Girl at the End of the World by Elizabeth Esther about a week ago. Incredible book, and everyone I've recommended it to has been unable to put it down, same as I was unable to.

I also picked up Jesus is Better than You Imagined by Jonathan Merritt and When We Were on Fire: A Memoir of Consuming Faith, Tangled Love, and Starting Over by Addie Zierman.

I've been kind of on a Christian memoir kick lately, not sure why, but I'm finding them very interesting, so I'll keep reading them until I get worn out on them.
Xeno

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:34 pm

Reading Dracula for my Gothic Lit class.
mysngoeshere56

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Bleak House by Charles Dickens

This was a loooooooooooooooooong book - 881 pages in my edition. But it was excellent - a really complex plot, tons of characters all with their own motivations and goals, two alternating tenses.... Basically, this is an epic fantasy novel set in London...minus the fantasy :lol: Brilliant, brilliant writing. It also has the distinction of being the first Dickens novel that has made me cry :sniffle:

*goes off to check out the most recent BBC adaptation*
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:15 pm

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

A really weird book. It's written in a stream-of-consciousness style, so it can be quite hard to keep track of what's going on. The writing itself is absolutely beautiful, full of wonderful descriptions and just a feeling of calm thoughtfulness. But the plot is just kind of blah, so I don't really care for it much.
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner