What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:17 pm

You read Dee Henderson. Cool.

You remember Danger in the Shadows. That prequil thing. My mom bought that and we listened to in the car. As a family. Talk about uncomfortable.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby soul alive » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:33 am

my mom does stuff like that too...
i haven't read "Danger in the Shadows" - my local library has a rather small selection.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby AnubisWerewolf » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:32 pm

Currently reading "Streams of Silver Book Two: The Icewind Dale Trilogy". I'm reading through the trilogy right now. Their not bad...a fast read.
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success." -Moonbay from Zoids Chaotic Century
AnubisWerewolf

Postby Ssjjvash » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:02 pm

I'm currently reading Shadowmancer by G.P. Taylor. Uh, the description is hard: some dude wants to be God and so he tries to control different stuff.
I recently finished a book by Ted Dekker, one of my fav. Christian authors, called Thunder of Heaven. It's about terrorists.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby glitch1501 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:04 pm

im reading perelandra by cs lewis

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:08 am

I am currently reading How to Share Your Faith by Greg Laurie. :)
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby thalia » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:25 pm

Besides the numerous mangas I'm reading, I am also currently reading Madeleine L'Engle's "The Young Unicorns." I love her books/characters SO much! I've read this particular book about 4 times now, but I love it!
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a whimper.

-from T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men"
thalia

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:28 pm

Ssjjvash wrote: I recently finished a book by Ted Dekker, one of my fav. Christian authors, called Thunder of Heaven. It's about terrorists.

Terrorism? I that what it's about? I tried so hard to read that book, 'cause I just LOVE Dekker, but I just couldn't do it. I'm gonna try again sometime, though.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:49 pm

I've finished of late Last Days Madness: Obsession of the Modern Church by Gary Demar and Perilous Times: A Study in Eschatological Evil by Kenneth Gentry. I should be reading Jesus and the Victory of God by N.T. Wright and Redating the New Testament by John A T Robinson soon.
GhostontheNet

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:19 pm

I just completed The Complete Guide to Writing and Selling the Christian Novel, which is a pretty interesting book. The author doesn't come to mind at the moment. I am currently reading a great number of writing books.

Meanwhile, I have begun Isaac Asimov's Puzzles of the Black Widowers which is a collection of some great intellectual mystery stories.
uc pseudonym

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:07 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I just completed The Complete Guide to Writing and Selling the Christian Novel, which is a pretty interesting book. The author doesn't come to mind at the moment. I am currently reading a great number of writing books.
by Penelope J. Stokes? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898798108/qid=1092186409/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-9784406-7133441?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
GhostontheNet

Postby Ssjjvash » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:09 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Terrorism? I that what it's about? I tried so hard to read that book, 'cause I just LOVE Dekker, but I just couldn't do it. I'm gonna try again sometime, though.

Cool beans. :thumb:

Rudyard Kipling

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Ssjjvash

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:45 pm

That is correct.

Also, I would like to list an atrocity: my library has several books on how to write romance novels. I'm not talking about the well-written type, either.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:02 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:That is correct.

Also, I would like to list an atrocity: my library has several books on how to write romance novels. I'm not talking about the well-written type, either.

:eyebrow: , please, knock me out now.

Mangafanatic

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:13 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:That is correct.

*Gets out blackjack and knocks out Mangafanatic. What are the titles of such books? How to Write Cheesy Romance Novels?
GhostontheNet

Postby Jaltus-bot » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:16 am

Yeay, I found a borrowed copy of Dostoyevsky! *Begins reading The Idiot * Funny, I felt strangly, somewhat inexplicably like one this evening. Anyways... *next page, I'm a sucker for Russian lit*
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby Syreth » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:21 am

I just finished Jonah. I think you guys know what it's about. On to the next minor prophet in my adventures through the Bible! Yeah, the Bible's about the only book I read lately. Once in awhile I pick up the latest left behind book, but not often.
Syreth

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:54 pm

I've just begun the melodramatically titled The End Times Controversy: The Second Coming Under Attack (which isn't true for Orthodox Preterists, only the Hyper Preterists) by Tim Lahaye and Thomas Ice to give them a shot at attacking my own Orthodox Preterist view.
GhostontheNet

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:38 am

That strikes me as an interesting title. However, allow me to warn that the issue is controversial, and discussion of it would be ill-advised.

GhostontheNet wrote:*Gets out blackjack and knocks out Mangafanatic. What are the titles of such books? How to Write Cheesy Romance Novels?

If you remove the "cheesy" you would have the title of one. The other had a very similar title. I did not look at them extensively, but long enough to garner one interesting bit of information.

Humorous ancedote: a well-known romance publisher would always publish primarily blue books with a circular picture in the center of the cover. Worried that readers could not tell so many books apart (they'd published dozens, after all), they published one romance novel with a green cover. It bombed nearly completely. Six months later, they published the same manuscript with a blue cover and it enjoyed record-challenging sales.
uc pseudonym

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:45 am

uc pseudonym wrote:That strikes me as an interesting title. However, allow me to warn that the issue is controversial, and discussion of it would be ill-advised.
I trust you have me in mind? It may be an interesting title, but a deceitful one as partial/orthodox preterists hold to a future Final Judgment/Second Coming/Ressurection and Rapture. I believe you are correct that "discussion of it would be ill advised," this is after all, not TheologyWeb.
uc pseudonym wrote:If you remove the "cheesy" you would have the title of one. The other had a very similar title. I did not look at them extensively, but long enough to garner one interesting bit of information.

Humorous ancedote: a well-known romance publisher would always publish primarily blue books with a circular picture in the center of the cover. Worried that readers could not tell so many books apart (they'd published dozens, after all), they published one romance novel with a green cover. It bombed nearly completely. Six months later, they published the same manuscript with a blue cover and it enjoyed record-challenging sales.

:lol:
GhostontheNet

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:28 pm

Currently reading Heart of the Sword , a history of the development of weapons and war. I'm also starting on the Oxford Illustrated HIstory of Europe.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:19 am

I'm reading "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov. It's a bizarre love story, but Nabokov is a literary genius..
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby Technomancer » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:04 am

I'm reading "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov. It's a bizarre love story, but Nabokov is a literary genius..

That's one I keep meaning to read myself. You might also be interested in Nafisi's 'Reading Lolita in Tehran', which offers an interesting discussion of the book (among other things).

Anyways, I'm currently reading "The Primacy of the Church of Rome: Documents, Reflections, Proofs" by Margherita Guarducci, which examines the issue of Roman primacy from an historical and archaeological.

I've also been reading "Ancient Wine: The Search for the Origins of Viniculture" by Patrick McGovern. This book investigates the origin of wine making from it earliest known traces found in Georgia (c. 6000 BC) up to the collapse of the Myceneans.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:34 am

Technomancer wrote:That's one I keep meaning to read myself. You might also be interested in Nafisi's 'Reading Lolita in Tehran', which offers an interesting discussion of the book (among other things).

Hmm, I haven't heard of that, actually... I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation =)
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby Ssjjvash » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:51 am

I have just started yet another book.
Mandy
by Julie Andrews--the actress. I found it at a garage sale! Mandy is an orphan...I don't know anything else about it.

Rudyard Kipling

Ssjjvash

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:14 pm

Great Expectations, by I'm sure you know who

I have a bad feeling that my AP English class is going to dominate my reading schedule. The reading assignments are just generally a bit over 100 pages, but they come pretty frequently...
uc pseudonym

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:40 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:

Makes perfect sense, really. I mean, no one's reading these books because they're genius. It's all about getting all the sensuality you can for your buck? And how can one gauge sensuality before they read the novel? Why-- the cover, of course! Apparently green's just not as steamy as blue. . .

Mangafanatic

Postby Staci » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:41 pm

I am currently reading "Everyday Mind: 366 Reflections on the Buddhist Path", written by various individuals. It has wonderful daily insights on how to step back, relax, and get on with life in an often dreary world.

No, I'm not converting to Buddhism -- I just joined my first Christian church and I refuse to turn back. I'm reading more for the philosophies to live peacefully since I'm prone to anger. *thumbs up with a grin*
Staci

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:00 pm

As one who's constantly reading multiple books at one period of time (and often out of the order it was written in), Craig Bloomberg's Interpreting the Parables and the last unread sections of Ben Witherington's Jesus, Paul, and the End of the World, I also found a copy of The Christians as the Romans Saw Them by Robert Louis Wilken, which I've begun.
GhostontheNet

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:50 pm

Dune By frank Herbert.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner