What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Technomancer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:50 pm

"The Dark Glory War" by Michael Stackpole.

I also just finished reading an article entitled "The Geometry of Algebraic Systems and Their Exact Solving Using Grobner Bases".
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:58 am

I actually got my hands on a copy of Brave New World, and I suspect that I will have it read shortly. What I have read so far I have greatly enjoyed. This includes Huxley's introduction to the edition.
uc pseudonym

Postby SwordSkill » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:46 am

Congratulations on getting a copy, uc pseudonym. XD

Will be reading Agatha Christie's "Lord Edgeware Dies." It's a Poirot one.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Technomancer » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:35 pm

"The Last Invasion of Canada: The Fenian Raids 1866-1870"

A history of one of Canada's more troubled periods. According to the blurb: "In the turbulent decade which produced the Canadian Confederation of 1867, a group of seasoned verterans of the American Civil War turned their attention to the conquest of Canada..."

It's something I've been wanting to find details on for a while. I'm familiar with the Battle of Ridgeway, which was fought not far from here in the Niagara region, but not any of the other actions.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby thalia » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:37 pm

I'm currently reading "Of Human Bondage" by W. Somerset Maugham. I just picked it up because I had an old copy of it and its' a classic, but I'd never read it! So far, it's pretty, good (I'm on page 100 or so), but I'm interested to see how it'll turn out!
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a whimper.

-from T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men"
thalia

Postby glitch1501 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:55 pm

almost done with glorious appearing, then ill start eli i guess

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby madphilb » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:38 pm

"The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century" by Scott Adams
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby CrusaderX » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:59 pm

"A Storm of Swords" by George RR Martin from his Song of Ice and Fire series.
"To fall in love with God is the greatest of all romances; To seek Him, the greatest adventure; To find Him, the greatest human achievement." --- St. Augustine
CrusaderX

Postby JediSonic » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:22 pm

I'm reading the fellowship of the ring... its hard to beleive how much stuff they left out of the movies! :lol:
JediSonic

Postby cbwing0 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:14 pm

I just started "Fight Club," by Chuck Palahniuk. So far, the book is even better than the movie. :thumb:
cbwing0

Postby Technomancer » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:46 am

"Vintage: The Story of Wine" by Hugh Johnson. Basically, a history of wine and it's role in politics and economics since ancient times. It's very interesting.

Since I'm also studying for my Multimedia Signal Processing exam:
"Introduction to Data Compression" by Khalid Sayood
"Multimedia Communication Systems: Techniques, Standards and Networks" by K.R. Rao et al.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:13 pm

I've completed the first two books of "The Fallen." Not bad. Strange angelology, but the author does appear to have an honest respect for God. Also, I completed "Crown of Shadows" just this morning. Not worth it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Flying_Penguen » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:44 pm

Currently reading Nor Crystal Tears by Alan Dean Foster. I have really come to love his box on the Humanx Commonwealth. Anyone else read these books? I have also read the first 5 of the Amber books by Roger Zelazny.
Big Steven Brust fan as well.
Flying_Penguen

Postby Ashley » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:56 pm

I'm 143 pages into Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I do declare, that upon my word I shall fall asleep many more times before its discourse is completed.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:17 pm

I just began "House of Stairs" which is bizarre science fiction. It could very good, though strange, but I'll reserve any judgements for when I have completed it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Seiya » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:16 pm

Nothing right now! By the way, that is really unlike me...
Normally I'd be reading something for the 50th time or so, but I'm trying to get better at math so I can finish all of my layouts, and it's eating up my time...
Plus all of my programs are broken. My life is so frustrating right now! :K
Seiya

Location: Among the stars, in a remote corner of the universe

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:28 pm

just started eli by bill meyer today

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:38 am

I finished House of Stairs too quickly... now I need reading material again. It was a very good book, though, and I recommend it to anyone who likes social science fiction.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:22 pm

"The Rights Revolution" by Michael Ignatieff

"In Canada, rights have become the trump card in every argument from family life to Parliament Hill. The long-standing fights for aboriginal rights and for the linguistic heritage of French-speaking Canadians have sterred Canada into a full-blown rights revoution. This revoution is not only deeply controversial here, but is being watched around the world."

A lot about the problems surrounding group rights vs. individual rights both in Canada and elsewhere in the world. It's pretty good and worth reading for those interested in these issues.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Six » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:36 am

Ashley wrote:I'm 143 pages into Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I do declare, that upon my word I shall fall asleep many more times before its discourse is completed.

Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorite books.

i am currently reading

The Thief Lord
The Subtle Knife
Star Wars: Specter of the Past (for the 3rd time)
The Bourne Supremacy

Fight Ignorance

Inform Yourself

See another country's point of view

Know Your Online Rights

Discover the Intelligent alternative to the basic political parties

Name: Sakeshi Hiromuki

Username:Six

Proficiencies:Kunai, Shuriken, Light Blade (Kodachi)

Techniques:

Clone: NinJutsu; user creates an immobile clone usable only as a decoy

Substitution: GenJutsu; user replaced their body with another object, and throws an illusion around the object so it appears to be them. The illusion breaks on contact with an object

Transformation: GenJutsu; user casts an illusion making them appear as someone else

Slashing Wind: NinJutsu; the user summons and hurls a massive gust of wind. If done properly can cut (25-20tp=5tp)
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby Gypsy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:46 am

I've just finished Byzantium by Lawhead, and I've started a George MacDonald book ... but I can't for the life of me remember the title ...
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:54 am

I only just began reading "Vampire High" by Douglas Rees. I'm about a third of the way through it after less than an hour. Hardly high reading, or even material targeted to an older audiance, but moderately amusing. It will entertain me for a single day, at least.

Not a very original take on vampires, but unique compared to all the Gothic novels we so commonly. Perhaps the best part yet has been the explanation of the original Dracula. Vlad himself and Bram Stoker were friends, etc.
uc pseudonym

Postby Lehn » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:12 pm

"The Blue Sword" by Robin McKinely for about the tenth time... ;_; I need to go to the bookstore...
Lehn

Postby Twilly Spree » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:17 pm

I just started the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown today. Oooh it's gonna be a book I won't be able to put down. I can already tell.

I just finished The Murder Room by P.D. James, good mystery.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Staci » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:20 am

I just finished Magic Kingdom for Sale: SOLD! by Terry Brooks. It is a quintet series, therefore I logically moved on to book two The Black Unicorn.

Great series! It's my second time through it. *two thumbs up*
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby Angel_Otaku » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:43 am

I'm in the middle of the Lord of the Rings, series, The Hobbit, and Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe.
Angel_Otaku

Postby Ingemar » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:53 am

The Confessions of St. Augustine
Ingemar

Postby Lehn » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:56 pm

I'm in the middle of the Lord of the Rings, series, The Hobbit, and Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe.

:waah!: Well, I'm put to shame. I rarely read more then 2 books at a time.

^^; Started Jane Eyre today
Lehn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:27 am

I just finished "Demon In My View" which is a trash novel I would recommend to no one. The author isn't bad for her age, but the book is relatively obviously just a way for her to live out her own fantasies. The main character is her to a fault, and has everything negative that Mary Sues have in fanfiction. All that saves it from complete idiocy are a few flashbacks that, taken properly, make most of the ending terribly futile.
uc pseudonym

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:47 am

I'm in the middle of The Vampire Lestat. I'm really liking it, but it's a little weird. ^_^

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner