How Do You Keep Track Of What You Read?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

How Do You Keep Track Of What You Read?

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Okay, I'm one of those peole who has a big library and a memory that doesn't do titles well. So often, I'll go in, go to my favorite section, check out a book and start reading it, and realize I've read it before! It's fairly exasperating for me. But I recently was directed to a site where you can keep track of your books for free! So I checked it out:

http://www.librarything.com/

The caveat? It only lets you store up to 200 titles for free- after that it's $10 a year or for $25, you can have/update/whatever your list forever... not too bad, but if someone is on a budget, or doesn't have a way to pay the online fee, then it gets tricky.

While I like this, I was thinking an excel spreadsheet might be the way to go, too. Does anyone else have a way to keep track of the titles they read?
Atria35

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:59 pm

I don't keep track of what I read... Or if I'm keeping track, it's by keeping it on my shelf. XD
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:58 pm

At our house, we write in our book logs what books we've read every week. It's useful when Mom does homeschool evaluations and the like.

...Though really, I don't read enough books to have a problem remembering them all! *is a slow reader* XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby ich1990 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Hm, I guess I have never had a problem remembering what I have read. Okay, so I occasionally pick up a book that gives me a strong sense of deja-vu; about halfway through I realize that I had read it sometime during my childhood.

For the past couple of years I have kept a list/review database, though. It is more for curiosity's sake than anything else.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Tamachan319 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:20 pm

I use an application on Facebook called Visual Bookshelf. It's quite useful. You can mark books as "already read", "want to read", and "reading now", and then if you are so inclined, you can write a review.
I also keep a list of books I've read in a binder on my bookshelf. Just the book's title, author, etc. It's a printed-out spreadsheet like Atria talked about.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:28 am

I use the Virtual bookshelf and Shelfari.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Winry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:57 am

I've used Shelfari
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Lynna » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:11 am

I have no idea how I remmember, but I do. I don't remmember all the books I've read, but A LOT
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Winry, what's your username? Maybe we can be pals.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby crusader88 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:06 am

Hmm, I did not know such aids were available, though I should've guessed. I just rely on memory.
...you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age... Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books.

-Ignatius J. Reilly, in John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, 1960s

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
crusader88

Postby Kaori » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:12 am

With a few exceptions, I usually will at least remember that I read a book, even if I don't remember very much about it or what happened in it.

I have been keeping a list for the past few years, though: title, author, and usually what I thought about the book. It's just an MS Word document . . . right now, about 14,000 words long.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby knightlee » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:04 am

Goodreads. I have about 400 books in my "to be read" pile, so I use it more for keeping track of what I want to read than what I have read.
A writer is someone who can make a riddle out of an answer. ~Karl Kraus
Find me @ MAL.net (olivecrayola)
knightlee

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Wow! So many ways to keep track of what I read! O.O" But these are good suggestions and options. I think the online thing may work for me better (I'm really bad at figuring out what I should make note of and what I shouldn't!). But I'm amazed at how many there are! XD Enough that everyone can do it the way they want to.
Atria35

Postby Blacklight » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:55 pm

On facebook, I actually use something called "weRead", but it's not all that convenient... a long time ago, I listed the whole Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle series, and marked the ones I read and the ones I was wanting to read... but recently I went back and cleared up the list; listing manga series is just too much. It took a long time to delete it all.

I've heard about Goodreads... is it worth checking into? Otherwise I could always just keep track in a notebook or on Notepad or something... that's what I usually do.

But, I haven't read so many books I look on the library shelves and say "I've read half of this stuff!" But that would be an interesting feeling... 0.0

*Hasn't even read all the books she owns yet*
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:51 pm

I usually spend the entire book wondering why I have these odd sensations of Dejavu.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Icarus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:21 pm

I actually just started a blog specifically to keep track of what I've read, and my thoughts.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Edward » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:21 pm

I have a harder time keeping track of books I have not read yet. I get so caught up with reading other books that I can find a book that has been laying on the shelf for six months, with the reciept still inside.
Edward

Postby Blacklight » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:07 pm

I started using GoodReads... several months ago... I think it works pretty well, but loads a bit slowly on the computer I use, and organizing shelves was a bit confusing at first.
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blacklight

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:12 pm

In all honesty I just keep a book log on Microsoft Word. xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Nanao » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:54 pm

i keep a book log on the computer. it's alphabetised so that makes it easier to check if i need to find something.
Nanao

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Because I've begun studying Biology and Animal Conservation I've had to have a way to sort which books I want, own, and have read, etc. Shelfari is the best way to do so, imo.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Blacklight » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1415318) wrote:I usually spend the entire book wondering why I have these odd sensations of Dejavu.

Strangely enough, I sometimes have these sensations when I'm reading a book for the first time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blacklight

Return to Book Corner