books you don't like

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby crusader88 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:04 am

I loathe Cat's Cradle, which I read last summer upon recommendation; thankfully it's a fast read too. The first half of Vonnegut's narrative is enticing, with the air of a good mockumentary, and, initially, the banana republic of San Lorenzo was the very image of my ideal guilty pleasure dream vacation destination. But about half way in, Vonnegut ruins the fine plot development by revealing the entire republic of San Lorenzo to be peopled by cynics and nihilists adhering to a "religion" which is little more than a philosophy of fate melded with crass impiety. Furthermore, Vonnegut strains a wacky and unintentional misuse of science to convey a sense of almost hyperbolical hopelessness which really let me down. So definitely avoid Cat's Cradle.

A larger tome to avoid is Joyce's Ulysses. Long before the painfully cynical, cryptic, and ofttimes just plain dull narrative's end, I realized that the epic existed for the sole purpose of displaying the author's mastery of divers styles of writing: fine, but mingling the lot of them was little more attractive than a dank mixture of all the colors of the rainbow. Not to mention that the characters are detestable and go unreproved for their pettiness.

A good alternative, combining the length of Ulysses and the threat of man's destruction human failure of Cat's Cradle, is David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest.
...you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age... Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books.

-Ignatius J. Reilly, in John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, 1960s

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
crusader88

Postby Icarus » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:22 am

The Twilight Series. When i read them, my personal reaction was "Eh." And then I saw the fanbase. Now, I snarl every time I see one of them.

Otherwise, I can't think of a book I disliked after I finished reading. I either don't read it, or give up on it. It could very well be that 15 pages later it turns into a barrel filled with awesome, but oh well.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Icarus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm

Crap, too late to edit my last post to include Richelle Mead's works.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Icarus (post: 1429098) wrote:Crap, too late to edit my last post to include Richelle Mead's works.

Never heard of her. What about them don't you like? What does she write?

Eion Colfer's Airman doesn't jive for me. While I love his Artemis Fowl series and his other book The Supernaturalist, this particular one just isn't that interesting. I think I'm growing out of him :( Or maybe it isn't as good as the others. It's hard to tell.
Atria35

Postby TWWK » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:46 pm

I generally dislike Hawthorne, and I absolutely loathe The Scarlet Letter. Tess of the d'Urbervilles is another classic I couldn't stand.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Syreth » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:26 pm

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I can't speak to his other works, but this book was tripe. Although I have to admit that it was quite an accomplishment for him to write essentially nothing for pages and pages. By the end, the only character I was remotely attached to was a minor character... because he actually had a personality. The idea of the story was interesting, but it was executed exceptionally poorly.
Syreth

Postby Gala » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:54 pm

The only book I can say I honestly did not like was Gone with the Wind..
Always find time in your day to rejoice for something the Lord has done for you... even if it is just the miracle of getting up every morning.
Gala

Postby Icarus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:06 pm

Atria35 (post: 1429117) wrote:Never heard of her. What about them don't you like? What does she write?

Just in general. She has three series currently: Georgina Kincaid; Vampire Academy; and The Dark Swan. After reading two of each, I realized that the only reason I'd read more is because I'd read the others. The stories don't interest me, I dislike the heroines of the last two series, and the first is about a succubus. So yeah, no more.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 am

Syreth (post: 1429170) wrote:The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I can't speak to his other works, but this book was tripe. Although I have to admit that it was quite an accomplishment for him to write essentially nothing for pages and pages. By the end, the only character I was remotely attached to was a minor character... because he actually had a personality. The idea of the story was interesting, but it was executed exceptionally poorly.

lol Wow, I felt the same way. I gave up after what was essentially an uneducated country bumpkin early in the book held his own against an old and learned historian in a debate. I was like "Yep, I'm done. Screw this."

Some of this other books are better. He's gotten stronger as a writer as time has gone on.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 am

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1429236) wrote:an uneducated country bumpkin early in the book held his own against an old and learned historian in a debate
That sounds TERRIBLE. Warning duly noted.

And that, kids, is why I come to this message board.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:27 am

Atria35 (post: 1429117) wrote:Eion Colfer's Airman doesn't jive for me. While I love his Artemis Fowl series and his other book

Yeah, that one didn't read as well as the Artemis books, I didn't not like but it wasn't as good as some of his other stuff. it was pretty good though.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Furen » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Lord of the Flies was the worst book I was ever tortured to read... (I REALLY disliked it) I almost burned it (but it was the school's copy) if I ever see it again it will be too soon...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Edward » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Even though it's not a book, I hated reading Othello. On the other hand, I loved Hamlet, and the other person in class who read it said he hated it. I also have a hard time getting into The Lord of the Rings, but I liked reading The Hobbit. Otherwise, there aren't too many books that I do not like. Either that, or I don't remember them.
Edward

Previous

Return to Book Corner